• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is K showing anything new at CES 2015?

When the kids want to watch something *now* and don't really care about the quality, streaming beats downloading every time.

--Donnie

I don't see why K couldn't do both- stream while downloading, playing as it arrives, if the connection is not fast enough stream immediately while downloading in the background...

Maybe deliver day/date theater releases...

Maybe MQA audio through the store...

Don't think theatre release dates would ever be approved for mainstream streaming/downloads, the theatre owner's would prevent that from happening. It was hard enough for PC to work out details/approvals for a VERY small client base, many restrictions, cost prohibitive for most, etc.

Jim

Every day K doesn't stream, they lose revenue to rentals that would have purchased. And they lose mindshare to more and more people who get used to THAT experience instead.

I've done streaming rentals of a few things I *would* have bought via K instead if I could have started watching a stream right then, even if the stream were lesser quality and my download of the high quality version had to happen later.

--Donnie

Every day K doesn't stream, they lose revenue to rentals that would have purchased. And they lose mindshare to more and more people who get used to THAT experience instead.

I've done streaming rentals of a few things I *would* have bought via K instead if I could have started watching a stream right then, even if the stream were lesser quality and my download of the high quality version had to happen later.

--Donnie

+1

--Donnie

Would this not be like a Bugatti dealership offering a Kia for folks that don't want to wait for delivery?

David, I think no. Hard to do car analogies but my try would be more like when Lexus came in against the way BMWs and MBZs were made. Thats since changed of course.

I basically agree with Donnie and the article you posted. I find streaming offers excellent quality and is easier to live with than our systems- unfortunately- as I have a big investment into my system and I do love Kaliedescape as do the kids. But they want to watch on their phones, pads, etc..... In my theater BR still pays dividends, but on even a 75" LCD screen, the differences are minuscule. And streaming offers more choices.

I hope Kaleidescape steps up to this challenge. They have a great product and the people I've interacted with there all seem like good people.

Jerry, I hear you. But in business, it's all about differentiating yourself from the competition. K has obviously done a pretty good job of that in their high-end niche. I'll soon be a new customer. I like building collections, but am not one of those devotees that would ever camp overnight for the latest iPhone, or care about getting a new movie the same day some studio execs decide it will be released theatrically. But there is definitely a huge market for streaming, albeit not me at this point in the technology curve. So what could K do to differentiate themselves in the streaming arena that already has competition? I also can't see myself streaming a compressed version for immediate viewing, and making a bit-for-bit download for later. Wolfgang Puck has some fine restaurants, but I'll pass on his frozen entrees sold in supermarkets. They probably taste pretty good, but what's the point.

Last edited:
You're missing the point, David.

K can add what I (and MANY others) want and not disturb what they already give you in the slightest. I'm already a K customer. They want to make more money off of me by selling me more movies. Right now they can't do that, but if they add this feature, they could. And they'd still sell you the same amount of movies.

--Donnie

Donnie, I get it. My question actually is how would K differentiate themselves from the established players in the streaming market?

They don't need to. Click a movie, either rent or buy. You enable streaming as an additional option so you can start watching right away if you want. If you don't, you just wait for it to download. Or you can set your quality options accordingly and wait to see the movie stream, which would happen as fast as the connection allowed your minimum quality to show.

For me, when my wife wants to watch a movie immediately and its not something I would buy, we could rent at DVD quality and watch instantly, without having to worry about space restrictions on the server.

If its something I want to buy, I would be able to start watching some quality version of it immediately if I so chose, and it would download in the background as usual.

Pretty simple to implement if we want the option to stream and buy, and are willing to accept a small quality difference in exchange for immediate viewing. Again- options for people who want them, nothing changes for people who don't.

Anybody that wants to rent a movie already has plenty of choices. I think if K were to go into the fast food business, it would be the beginning of the end for them.

I am not that interested in streaming, as I could easily wait for a download to complete before viewing. But what would be great is a rent-with-option-to-buy feature. Of course, there are sites that will let you stream, but I would like the option to then turn that into a purchase if the movie were good enough. So, they could rent me the movie (at full HD quality) and if I like it, apply the rental cost towards the purchase. That way,"K" would be financially rewarded for the rental, even if I decide not to purchase.

Matt

I think there is differentiation and then there is not changing with the times.

Here is a car example for you. BMW sells most of its cars in the North east with AWD. 20 years ago that was not the case. I am a RWD enthusiast driver, but here in the NE USA, if you're in the car business, you better offer AWD.

Kaleidescape should offer some form of rent/ streaming.

Otherwise they are losing my viewing to this tiny hockey puck sized device called Apple TV in my system- which also has a great user interface. What happens when I decide its just easier to just use the Apple TV and no longer use the Kaleidescape. Game over- and that is the danger for Kaleidescape in the very homes they currently exist in.

I don't think Kaleidescape should go into the fast food business. But streaming/ renting is not that far afield.

The product here is to present entertainment.

I like Matt's buy to rent idea. Btw- I'm not really a natural for the streaming concept but Ive really become impressed with it and I spend probably 10x watching my Apple TV than I do my Kscape... (for things like Hulu, not movies).

I just can't see a downside to adding streaming.

When I've shown off my system to folks who have a Roku or AppleTV I've had people say "is this download only, or streaming or both?" When I say it's download or disk only, they say "oh, so you need something else to stream?" Yeah. "Oh, well it's nice but I wouldn't see a reason to add that if it doesn't stream."

Add *those* potential customers to the fact that they're losing movie sale revenue to streams and I think it starts to add up to a very good case for adding streaming.

It's the same reason DirecTV receivers added Pandora and YouTube support. Don't add that, and people might buy another box that *does* do streaming as well as Pandora/YouTube and then might use that box for their movies rather than DTV's rentals.

It's fully complementary to their main business, which is now selling movies as well as selling you a storage device for your movies.

Something complementary but too far from the core mission would be something more like offering a popcorn subscription service. I could see *that* as going too far. But not streaming.

--Donnie

Why is everyone assuming that K won't add streaming when they have said that they plan on adding streaming as part of supporting 4K?

It seems to me if they are going to add for 4K they will add for DVD and BR too.

John

From the K site:
"We believe that people will continue to collect movies for a long time, just as they collect books and art. We buy movies we love. We buy movies our children love. We sometimes buy a movie to ensure that it will be possible to watch it, even outside of an "availability window." Children watch the same show over and over, which makes buying more economical than renting. Another great reason to purchase is that DVD and Blu-ray offer the best video and audio quality.

In this context, our view on downloads is quite simple: It is just another delivery mechanism for purchasing movies. Today, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs offer the broadest selection and the best fidelity. If you buy movies you must store them, and we believe a movie server is the best place to keep your treasured collection of movies. A natural evolution for the Kaleidescape movie server — one that we have planned from the beginning — will be to support downloads in the future.

The selection of movies available via streaming suffers from the same limitations as other movie rental services: restrictive availability windows and studio licensing deals. In addition, streaming services limit video and audio quality to save bandwidth. Today, streaming is a convenient source of entertainment when immediate availability is more important than quality and choice. Streaming serves important needs, but it does not take the place of a high-quality movie collection. Will the Kaleidescape movie server support streaming in the future? Maybe, but it's not a high priority for us because streaming is already supported by various devices in the home, and because Kaleidescape is focused on transforming your personal collection into a magical experience."

Last edited:
Yes, that has been on the K website for a long time whereas the quote from Cheena Srinivasan (my post #42) is from just prior to Cedia 2014.

John

Back