• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is K showing anything new at CES 2015?

I would suspect it will stay a smaller fish to fry for quite some time. Given all the focus needed for onboarding studios, dealing with content from existing studios, contract bookmarking (or providing the tool that will assuage the rioting villagers,) and bringing new hardware features like 4K resolution, 3D viewing, 2 turtle-doves, and expanded audio-codec processing in-unit.

That said, once Ultraviolet comes out with a rental standard, rather than just letting all the various vendors come up with their own schemas, I would expect K to be not too far behind in offering something (if not automagically having the capability on day-one due to a title rented elsewhere temporarily becoming available in your library.)

Yes, that has been on the K website for a long time whereas the quote from Cheena Srinivasan (my post #42) is from just prior to Cedia 2014.

John

Mr. Srinivasan of course has to play cards very close to vest. I think 4K hardware this year is a sure bet. If I were a betting man (and I am) I would put money down that K will not enter the streaming business this year because the stars will not be aligned in time for that when the new player is ready for market. Quality issues are still too much in conflict with their company mission, their reason for existence. Differentiation is ALWAYS a key, if not THE key in a successful, long-term business plan.

Cheena says: “For 4K delivery there are three options. Disc, Internet download or Internet streaming. Internet Download is the method that we will deploy first, but happily we can do all three, we will go where the best quality content can be delivered. Customers should not be in a position where they have to worry about the format. All they should have to worry about is, what do I like? And how do I get more of it? it’s our job to deliver that experience. We will embrace all formats —discs, downloads, as well as streaming in the future.”

[emphasis added by PointMan]

Mr. Srinivasan of course has to play cards very close to vest. I think 4K hardware this year is a sure bet. If I were a betting man (and I am) I would put money down that K will not enter the streaming business this year because the stars will not be aligned in time for that when the new player is ready for market. Quality issues are still too much in conflict with their company mission, their reason for existence. Differentiation is ALWAYS a key, if not THE key in a successful, long-term business plan.

Cheena says: ?For 4K delivery there are three options. Disc, Internet download or Internet streaming. Internet Download is the method that we will deploy first, but happily we can do all three, we will go where the best quality content can be delivered. Customers should not be in a position where they have to worry about the format. All they should have to worry about is, what do I like? And how do I get more of it? it?s our job to deliver that experience. We will embrace all formats ?discs, downloads, as well as streaming in the future.?

[emphasis added by PointMan]

Maybe our definition of streaming is different. My opinion is that K will NOT be doing any compression on HD and UHD content. My thought is that they will enable the user to view a movie before it is totally downloaded and does buffering depending on Internet connection speed. Hence you will still have the best audio and video available with the K UI. This fits Right in with K's market segment. I also think the new players being developed for 4K allows then to make any hardware chanes needed to support streaming.

John

Without compression, would it not take several times the run time of the bit-for-bit UHD movie to stream it, even with business grade broadband? I doubt there would be any market for that scenario.

It depends on your download speed. I have fast enough speed that I could currently stream full HD. UHD would have to buffer some amount of time. However, if K had the capability and I had the urge to watch immediately, I could purchase the movie, download the BR version and begin watching immediately.

I now see that you are saying that K will not supply compressed video for streaming - I totally agree with you on this. They are going to supply DVD, BR and 4K bit-for-bit versions.

John

John, what is your broadband speed? I'm getting about 16MBPS (business grade to my residence via coax). Comcast has offered to run fiber to my home for a surcharge of about $850/mo., which I would entertain.

I have FIOS that has 75Mbps download speed which I love. It takes between 45 min to 1.5 hour to download a BR movie depending on the file size.

John

You are lucky to have fiber in your area, which is still not common in the US. I will basically have to allow myself to be extorted to get it as an early adopter in my area (low population density).

Wow $850 a month!:eek: (You'll have to download 75 movies a week to work the economies of scale:D.)

Jim

John, are you getting 75 Mbps from VZ? I'm paying for 100 Mbps and I never see higher than 75. I questioned this from VZ and they had me do a speed test and my system pings 95+. They blame K servers.

Thanks

Yes. Typically I get 65-72Mbps according to K. Ther are times when I get lower due to high demand for K (I assume). Speedtest always gives me ~80Mbps.

John

So it must be my network. Thanks. Time to make some phone calls

I have been getting 70-80Mbps on my downloads from the store. Unfortunately, they changed the downloads history page so I can't see the bit rate on it now.

Thanks. Already have my network-guy stopping by this weekend!

Btw, at that speed the issue with streaming becomes moot except for the most spontaneous watching decisions of HD content. I certainly can wait 1/2 hr to watch a movie. And yes I know that becomes 2 hrs for 4k but I do have the option to increase my service. Now only to get what I pay for....

I had to drop AT&T, their best to my FL house was a stated 18mbs that was never higher than 12 in a speed test. I moved to Comcast business to get 75mbs, and usually get close to that from K downloads.

Jim

There has to be a log jam at K sometimes. I get about 80mbs often, but Fury was often downloading at just 1mb. Have to assume many of us opted to buy it at the same time.

I have been getting 70-80Mbps on my downloads from the store. Unfortunately, they changed the downloads history page so I can't see the bit rate on it now.

You can still see the download speeds with the browser interface and the "imports" tab.

John

I had to drop AT&T, their best to my FL house was a stated 18mbs that was never higher than 12 in a speed test. I moved to Comcast business to get 75mbs, and usually get close to that from K downloads.

Jim

Comcast just initiated some improvements in speed in my area-- actually quite substantial (I was very pleasantly surprised after seeing what they wanted for running fiber). So for basically +$10 cost I have now been bumped up to 50Mbps. For just $250 one can now get 150Mbps which I think would be the minimum for true UHD streaming without an unreasonable buffer, should that become available from K. For that kind of speed, I think it's a bargain. The world is changing fast!

Here in NY, we are getting 300mbps, though the fastest I have ever downloaded something via K is 97mbps. Which is awesome, but not consistent.

Back