• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CEDIA 2018

Does the new iPhone app have the capability to rate movies?

John

I am already sore about a throwaway 3D collection as it is.
It's not throwaway at all! In fact, if you enjoy your 3D collection, it's a great thing you bought those since you can still enjoy those as studios have largely abandoned the format, as have streaming content providers.

Same reason I still have a handful of VHS tapes, DVDs, and BDs, that will likely never see the light of day again via streaming. In fact, now that I think about it, I am LONG overdue to get cracking on my LD collection. Heck, I even have a couple old films somewhere on Hi8 (or maybe the studio releases were called Video 8). Remember that format? Was rare even at the time, but they do exist. Did even worse than BetaMax. Haha.

But I digress. My point is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with hanging on to the stuff you own on dead formats. Keep them. Enjoy them! For newer stuff, I'll continue to purchase them on Kaleidescape and for stuff not available on the store, I'm glad there's 4K discs (for now). :)

Yes, I saw this article:

https://widescreenreview.com/news_detail.php?id=21288

Key quote:

“And here’s a list of the best home entertainment demos you’re likely to find at CEDIA. It is no coincidence that they all include Kaleidescape source equipment. See you at the show!

Barco (Booth 2127)
Digital Projection (Booth 5425)
Epson (Booth 5734)
Harman Luxury Group (Booth 4621)
Neeo (Booth 1240)
Origin Acoustics (Booth 3042)
Rayva (Booth SR-6)
Seymour-Screen Excellence (Booth SR-4)
Sony Electronics (Booth 4821)
Sound United (Booth 4128)
Starke Sound (Booth SR-8)
Steinway Lyngdorf (Booth M22)
Stewart Filmscreen (Booth 5324)
Trinnov Audio (Booth 5247)
TruAudio (Booth 5625)
Wisdom Audio (Booth 5247)”

John

Haha. Yup. When I went to Sony dealer training and they were showing off the 5000ES laser projector, it really stuck out to me that although they had a product they were trying to compete with at the time (the totally meh FMP-X10), they straight up told us that to show off the Sony projectors and TVs in our showrooms in the best possible way, to demonstrate them utilizing Kaleidescape, and that's exactly what we were doing anyway. To me, that said it all. A Strato will even make an old lackluster TV look more outstanding than it has any right to be. As we all know, it's not just the great video quality, but man, dat interface is just so slick. Impresses EVERYBODY.

@Trackz

I so want this to be a big CEDIA and upcoming year for K. Remove the last major reasons preventing me from buying in. Thus, I can eliminate my media server and all the logistics that come with it. Be able to enjoy content more and content management less.

Staying on / off Topic - after 4 years of "considering" a Kscape, and hearing the rave reviews as best in industry and class. I am really having a hard time understanding why you don't have one... Price is on point so ?

What is this Major roadblock? DayDate... Come on with that excuse time will come... You posted the above message what is it ? :confused: Maybe kscape wants to know?

Yeah, I've been a long time, lurking non-owner. :) Over that time, I've been so close to pulling the trigger a few times, but haven't.

Earlier on, affordability was a hold-off. That situation has improved. Then there was the "dark" times when they almost went out of business. That held me off for obvious reasons.

Plus the advent of 4k. I wasn't going to buy in without a solution for that (then came Strato). Then the lack of major studios (which they now have) and the lack of 4k content from all those said studios (which they now have). There's a bit more I'd like to see in the store (MGM, anime, Studio Ghibli, Gkids, etc.), but it's filled out nicely.

The thing I need from K to finally get my money is Movies Anywhere. I have something like 1k+ movies in MA and 4k rights to a ton of it. There's no way I'm rebuying that content isolated it the K store at up to $36.99 a movie.

In the meantime, I've been managing my local media server, with 4k content and such. K is my long-term solution to maintain high content fidelity, but get out of the time sink rip management activity.

At the same time too, having Apple nip at their heels with the ATV 4k, the massive amount of 4k content in iTunes with improved quality and cheaper prices (and MA), and now Atmos, has been another hold-off factor. Apple runs bit rates up to 15 Mbps for HD content now and 30+ for UHD. That's a high as lower bit rate BD/UHD BD discs are encoded at.

This summer though, I finally built my theater room (135" Stewart Cima, JVC X790, Focal Electra/Aria 7.2.4, Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3), so the delta quality to higher bit rate video and lossless audio is now more realizable.

I wouldn't continue waiting based on day/date. Nor does the struggle for true Atmos/DTS:X soundtracks bother me that much, since at least the lossless is there. It's all about portable content rights and volume for me.

I got to play with that iPhone app and it’s really nice. Very responsive and quick. The ability to browse the store and your movies is really nice both on screen and on the app. They did mention movies anywhere is getting closer.

Can you elaborate any more on the MA comment?

@Trackz

Sorry but this is the deal. All who read your reasons see it or can learn from this. As a heads up if you only have MA movies then you are really missing out on a lot of other movie houses, I too have a MA account and ALL of my movies show up in there as well as my UV account short of the ones that are not uv of course, sure I am missing some but no big deal, if its a new one I just dont buy the MA title and buy from Kscape , just as I do with all the other new films , so its like you either jump in and start buying from kscape at full 4k or continue to "manage your own server."Sounds to me you like to rip content, and I would bet money you turrent new movies as well.

BUT Your other content will come and most will port anyway. Kscape will more than likely open up MA and will charge say a $2-5 fee to port movies to get them dloadable into their movie studio quality delivery to your Kscape server you will never buy. So knowing that there will be a port fee I wonder if this changes your mind?

As a heads up as well. Any MA movies that fall within the studios that are not covered by Kscape will port over. So all but MGM.FOX.Paramount.Disney etc. but those are only for the new ones, old ones will carry over, and I am sure you will say you have all this old content. So do most Kscape owners like myself - But what it looks like to me is you are one of those guys that likes to do it all yourself.

Your "major blocks" are the exact ones that Kscape doesnt want. You want them to provide you with better than ANYTHING you can get in the market - I dont care if its apple or what or your discs. And just give it all to you for free. You may not know the written agreements to receive the level of quality of terabytes of files that are of the actual quality of a single movie that kscape gets. They are of not the same quality of what is on your apple roku , or hamster delivery -

If you have bought all of that for your theatre and can't do the 3k to get this content or even port over all the ones which would be more than 30% to then download the best quality. I would bet money and most others on the forum would as well that you will never buy a Kscape.

You just don't get it. Argue all day about this promise and that promise from other content providers I don't think you are "streaming" a 85gig file over the 1.5 hours you are watching it, even so its still not the aforementioned studio agreed content that kscape gets - but there is a reason that kscape has proprietary coding and has even more encoding in new software updates around the corner. Yielding way more options for us owners.

But what do I know -

All I can say is just buy one dude JUMP IN and going forward stop ripping and turrenting new content, and buying the UHD discs those will be gone in another 4 years anyway - If your old movies dont port , take the kscape back to the dealer. I am that confident about it.

Harsh but agreeable truthful

Look into linking all accounts there are 6 I have linked now. uv ma sony etc etc.

@Snifty1

Wrote up some replies, but opted to take the discussion to a PM so not to diverge the thread away from CEDIA talk.

To be clear, I'm supporter of K. I really want them to succeed, make awesome stuff, and become a customer.

I am also at CEDIA... sorry i haven't seen any of the KOF folks. I have little to add to the info already posted.
The booth was very well done and very well attended on both days I was there. The iPhone app is REALLY impressive... beautifully done and it is both its own experience for on-system movies and movie store content, AND a great way to control a K player. Excited to try it out when I get home. (asked to be on the beta as well.)

It was the first chance for me to see the new 1U Strato "S" player... hadn't seen one in person yet. I'm sure all dealers here have seen them.

Here are a few pics of the Kaleidescape booth, if anyone's interested:

IMG_0818-resized.jpg

IMG_0823-resized.jpg

IMG_0821-resized.jpg

IMG_0822-resized.jpg

Last edited:
And, HERE is the famous Mike Kobb, well known to everyone here for all his help. It was great to finally meet Mike in person and spend some time together!

IMG_0820-resized.jpg

-josh

Just noticed this post over at AVS Forums

Spent a lot of time at the K booth with a sharp tech guy. Regarding ATMOS not showing up on 4K HDR titles - Fox and Universal are still holdouts, but they are close to an agreement. There will be no 4K disc player - end of that discussion. Played around with a beta copy of an app for iPhone. Very sweet. Lots of much needed sorting options. Big fan of these guys. They care!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-u...-whata-s-new-cedia-2018-a-7.html#post56772806

Sad news about 4k disc drive...
But great news on Fox and NBCUniversal Atmos deals being close..
Hoping Movie Anywhere is close too...

Last edited:
Smashing Josh - thanks for those - gives those of us who can't make it some idea of what the show floor looks like. Quite envious of you guys who are able to take in Cedia and CES when it comes around. Stand looks well populated with lots of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Kaleidescape owners' forum members

We owe a debt of gratitude to Josh and Jim - they've done an incredible job in running the forum.

Here's a brief update on CEDIA Expo 2018 for many of you who weren't there.

We realized that our dealers were finding it difficult to explain the value Kaleidescape brings to the luxury home cinema experience. Qualifying new clients with "how many shiny discs do you own?" or "do you collect movies?" is a sure way to receive a quick "no!" We wanted this CEDIA to be about:

1. Kaleidescape offers a compelling movie service -- we signed the 30th studio last week, and we will continue to enrich our content offerings with hard to find gems, concerts, and compelling TV series.

2. The luxury home cinema experience -- we've been obsessed with purity of movie playback experience for over a decade, we then focused on licensing content from the world's best studios, but we never owned the control experience. We showcased the Kaleidescape Mobile App - Beta version.

Some of our most passionate customers and influencers visit this forum, so I am pleased to welcome you to participate in our beta testing program for the Kaleidescape Mobile app. It's now available on iPhone but will be offered for Android devices in the future. If you are interested, please send an e-mail to beta@kaleidescape.com from the e-mail address associated with your Kaleidescape movie store account, with subject: "mobile app beta."

There should be no concern about our commitment to Premiere products - specifically, product availability, service, and support for the 1U+ Movie Server, M300 and M500 Movie Players, and the DV700. For many of our customers, especially overseas (and marine), discs remain a viable way to enjoy luxury home cinema. Then, there is content that isn't yet available from Kaleidescape for download, but certainly available on a Blu-ray or DVD disc. We realize the importance of these products.

We had a great show, and more importantly, we had several hundred engaging discussions with our current and prospective dealers. We are grateful to Technology Integrator, Electronic House and Residential Systems/Twice for recognizing the Kaleidescape Strato S as the Best of Show product for CEDIA Expo 2018.

1. Technology Integrator: Excite award: (https://www.technologyintegrator.net/longform/2018-excite-award-winners/)

2. TWICE/Residential Systems CEDIA Best of Show: (https://www.twice.com/industry/2018-cedia-expo-best-of-show-winners-announced)

3. Electronic House Product of the Year: (https://www.electronichouse.com/products-of-the-year/the-best-smart-home-products-of-2018/)

We're excited about the future - this is the golden age of home cinema, and we play a vital role.

Cheena

@cheena

Congratulations on what looks like a great and successful CEDIA 2018.

Things clearly are moving at pace behind the scenes - particularly excited about the 'phone app' and will certainly be offering my services as a 'beta' tester.

Just wanted to respond by saying thanks to you, Mike and all the team at K for providing the best experience in home movie entertainment and for not resting on your laurels and continuing to invest to provide the quality product we all enjoy. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Adding my thanks to Cheena for joining the forum today and giving the update on CEDIA and the company in general. Glad to have him participating here for the first time!

-josh

p.s. In case there are users who don't know the name "Cheena", he is the founder & CEO of Kaleidescape.

Just to add to the above feedback. K certainly has excellent customer service and a brilliant forum community. The fact that the ceo has personally commented here is proof in the pudding. I’ve been round the block a number of times with alternative media servers/players and each time I end up back with k as there is simply no competition with its unique media wall interface and hardware. Yes, there are gaps but these are constantly being filled (studios, new hardware, iphone app) and the eco system can be expensive, but one thing I learned in life is you pay for quality and ease of use.

I see that you can now purchase movies directly through the new iPhone app. Does that mean Apple will be taking a 30% cut of these purchases or has K figured out a way around that?

Back