• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3TB Drives are Here

There is also a temporary 'surcharge' on disk cartridges. Immediately on 3TB cartridges and from Jan 13th on 2TB cartridges which I have assumed dealers will all pass on.

This is due to the Thaliand Floods which is where most disks were / are made ..

Richard

Correct!!:)

The 3TB's are available beginning NOW.

Pricing on the 3TB's will be about $100 higher than 2TB once the surcharge ends (see below).

There is a $300 per disk surcharge (as mentioned above) on all 3TB Disks that starts immediately, and a $200 per disk surcharge on 2TB's effective beginning January 13th. These surcharges are temporary, and reflect only the additional cost to K because of the market affects of the floods in Thailand. There is no end date stated. The Cinema One, with the 2.5 disks, is not affected by the surcharge.

You can still get new 3U Servers with 2TB configurations, but only until February 17th, then only 3TB 3U's Servers will be available.

You will also be able to use the "Disk Upgrade Program" should you want to move to larger disks. Basically, you buy all new 3TB disks for your Server and K will ship a refurbed Server (w/2 year warranty) containing the new 3TB's, you then migrate your content on to the new Server and return your old Server w/smaller Disks to K. Check with your dealer for details.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

I think the 3TB drives are going to be more than $100 extra. The MSRP on them is $400 more and the flooding surcharge is not added to MSRP because Kaleidescape stated that they didn't want to keep changing the MSRP for their drives and servers.

I was expecting the new 3TB drives MRSP to return to the original price that 2TB drives were sold at before the recent price reduction.

Is the new 3TB drive MRSP $1400?

I was beginning to think that 3TB drives would not be released and next drive size increase would be 4TB.

I will have to find something else to speculate about now!

That would be a roll out of new custom hardware, so I suspect it will be a while. Perhaps when they come out with a 3D player (if they do).

What are the actual prices for the 3tb & 2tb drives?

I am not sure what MSRP is these days... It used to be $1249. Then I thought I read here on the forums that K recently reduced the MSRP on the 2tb drives to $999.

Correct!!:)

You can still get new 3U Servers with 2TB configurations, but only until February 17th, then only 3TB 3U's Servers will be available.

You will also be able to use the "Disk Upgrade Program" should you want to move to larger disks. Basically, you buy all new 3TB disks for your Server and K will ship a refurbed Server (w/2 year warranty) containing the new 3TB's, you then migrate your content on to the new Server and return your old Server w/smaller Disks to K. Check with your dealer for details.

Jim

So I literally waited and waited until I couldn't wait any longer and swapped out my 1U with 1TB for a 1U with 2TB in late November and the server just arrived and was migrated on December 29th...trying to maximize disk space without buying a new server....I am guessing that I am out of luck in being able to "return" this 1U with the 2TB's and get one with the 3TB's instead (i.e. had I known I would have waited a month and gotten the 3TB disks - surcharge or not).

I am guessing that I am out of luck in being able to "return" this 1U with the 2TB's and get one with the 3TB's instead (i.e. had I known I would have waited a month and gotten the 3TB disks - surcharge or not).

Well, worst case, in two-weeks you will have some near-pristine drives with 21+ months warranty available to sell at $200 below cost. :)

What are the actual prices for the 3tb & 2tb drives?

I am not sure what MSRP is these days... It used to be $1249. Then I thought I read here on the forums that K recently reduced the MSRP on the 2tb drives to $999.

Fist, Mike is correct, the MSRP of 3TB is $1,395, exclusive of the $300 surcharge, so currently 3TB disks are $1,695. (Surcharge took affect on Jan. 3rd.)

2TB disks are still $995, exclusive of $200 surcharge which takes affect Jan. 13th on 2TB disks.

NOTE: These surcharges have no dealer margin, dealers pay the exact same surcharge to K.

Jim

Fist, Mike is correct, the MSRP of 3TB is $1,395, exclusive of the $300 surcharge, so currently 3TB disks are $1,695. (Surcharge took affect on Jan. 3rd.)

2TB disks are still $995, exclusive of $200 surcharge which takes affect Jan. 13th on 2TB disks.

NOTE: These surcharges have no dealer margin, dealers pay the exact same surcharge to K.

Jim

Ok - that makes me feel better - so it would have been $2800 more for the Four 3TB drives vs only $1200. I assumed the 3TB were going to come in at the $995 price plus $300 surcharge (instead of the $1395+$300) and the 2TB's base price was being dropped (since I recall in the past that new drives are priced at the old drive price and the "old" drives get a price drop.)

What is the new MSRP on a 1U loaded with 3TB drives? - since the old 1U was $9,995 I am guessing the new 1U with 3TB will come in at $11,595 MSRP +$1200 surcharge to get it up to about $12,800?

MSRP on a KSERVER 1500-0225 with 4x3TB drives is indeed $11,595 + $1200 surcharge for a total of $12,795.

Price is 28% more for 50% more capacity so it is still a price reduction on a cost per title basis. When the surcharge kicks in on the 2TB drives, it will be an even better cost/title deal relative to the 2TB drives.

Ok - that makes me feel better - so it would have been $2800 more for the Four 3TB drives vs only $1200. I assumed the 3TB were going to come in at the $995 price plus $300 surcharge (instead of the $1395+$300) and the 2TB's base price was being dropped (since I recall in the past that new drives are priced at the old drive price and the "old" drives get a price drop.)

What is the new MSRP on a 1U loaded with 3TB drives? - since the old 1U was $9,995 I am guessing the new 1U with 3TB will come in at $11,595 MSRP +$1200 surcharge to get it up to about $12,800?

The 2TB's had already been reduced last year from $1,245 down to the current $995. Not sure if they thought larger drives were "close," but many of us habitual speculaters thought that was a signal. Maybe it was, and things got pushed back, maybe it wasn't. Point is, I wouldn't expect a further decrease in 2TB's at this point, but who knows......

Jim

There really isn't much point discounting them further. Given the server costs, the most cost effective drive for the majority of users is the largest one available.

Yup, I agree, which is why I'll probably sell my current 3U system and buy another full of 3TB's.:D

Jim

On a separate, but related matter.....

For anyone considering the disk upgrade promotion and planning to move up to 2TB's, you should get with your dealer to get the order in before January 13th to avoid the $200 per disk surcharge on 2TB's going in affect on the 13th. Just a thought.

Jim

Back