• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3TB Drives are Here

In your case that isn't a major issue, but a fully loaded 3U server w/2TB drives would take about 3 1/2 weeks to migrate all the content off it via replication. I

Exactly - I definitely was only able to watch the new server's items, but 3TB took less than 3 days, so it was a non-issue. If I had more content (and honestly more time to watch it!), I would have been asking more questions about how to keep the old server access. But my DVR is 99% full, so there were plenty of old shows I need to catch up on. Finally finished Season 4 of Breaking Bad!

On January 13th the 2TB will be $1,195 ($995 + $200).

The 3TB's are currently $1,695 ($1,395 + $300).

Jim

Which is why I quickly got over the fact that I wasn't able to get the bigger drives. Double the capacity for 70% more $ was not necessary for me or a good value prop (for me). I am still saving my shekels for the M700 and no matter how you cut it, I am going to need a new server to make it work. At least now I know that I can go 1U instead of 3U and at least be able to fit 200+ BluRays on it.

Yup, one of our clients was really upset, until he did the math........:eek:

Jim

Interesting to note that a fully loaded 1U with 3TBs has exactly the same content storage capacity as a 3U when it first came out with 750GBs!!

Yup, one of our clients was really upset, until he did the math........:eek:

Yeah but you could still be upset by, on the face of it, orders were being filled for 2TBs at a time when the 3TB were probably in stock and ready to go, but just waiting on an "official announcement". I know they closely guard this information, but a cursory "heads up" to the dealers a few weeks out would be the better approach.

Yeah but you could still be upset by, on the face of it, orders were being filled for 2TBs at a time when the 3TB were probably in stock and ready to go, but just waiting on an "official announcement". I know they closely guard this information, but a cursory "heads up" to the dealers a few weeks out would be the better approach.

Actually, I agree. I'd prefer to give our client's an "option."

Jim

...and it was a savvy marketing decision to up the price of the 2TB shortly after announcing the pricey 3TB, kinda makes me feel slightly less aggrieved I was blind-sided by this (at least I got the 2TB before the price rise, but I'd have preferred some advance warning that an announcement was imminent).

I'm guessing also the price increase on the 2TB will help keep good resale prices for those upgrading from 2TB to 3TB, but I'll be monitoring what they're being offered at as I have a 2nd server that needs to be populated with higher capacity discs (although I'd far prefer to run a single 1U fully loaded with 3TBs rather than two 1Us with 2TBs, even if it was a slightly higher initial outlay).

brodricj; said:
...Or worst case I just give them back the four 2TBs and swap them for three 3TBs with no more to pay, I'd be happy with that :)

Failed on this one I'm afraid...it seems the only options now for the 1u are "fully populated" either with 2tb or 3tb. The refurb exchange 1u with (4) 3 tbs and $1200 worth of surcharge built in was too pricey for me in comparison to the (4) 2 tbs option without surcharge. When normal pricing resumes I'll take another look at the 3 tbs.

You are not alone, the surcharges have several folks I know passing on buying for now and will just wait out the surcharge. They are all apparently willing to wait at least 18 months!:eek: (That's more patience than I have!!)

Jim

Last edited:
Jiminy Cricket!! Go away for a couple of weeks and this happens! Merry Xmas to me I guess.

I have a full 1U server now with 4 2Tb drives. Have to decide if it makes sense to replace the four with the new drives (adding additional 3Tb of total space) or upgrade to a new 3u server.

Jiminy Cricket!! Go away for a couple of weeks and this happens! Merry Xmas to me I guess.

I have a full 1U server now with 4 2Tb drives. Have to decide if it makes sense to replace the four with the new drives (adding additional 3Tb of total space) or upgrade to a new 3u server.

Go for the new 3U Server!:D

Jim

I knew you'd say that!

The upgrade program is still on place I assume. No word on when/if they will discontinue it?

Go for the new 3U Server!
..and I'm sure Jim will be happy to accept your order!

The other possibility will be to buy a used 1U server (here, or on eBay etc) to keep you going until the pricing on the 3TBs returns to normal. The two servers operate as one once grouped, so in operation is no different to what you are familiar with now.

This will keep you going until you buy the four new 3TB/4TB discs in the future at which time you can replicate the content from your 2 old file systems to the new system: this is straight forward and something you can do at home.

Once the content is replicated you can sell the 2nd server, and chances are you'll get close to what you paid for it. In addition you'll have the old 2TB file system that is no longer needed, and you can sell that to me real cheap :D

In doing it this way your change-over price is not much at all.

...and I'd just add that the FedEx man just dropped off my new 1U server with 2TB's (over 2 weeks delivery door to door!!), and 5 minutes later it's up and running.

Last edited:
...and I'd just add that the FedEx man just dropped off my new 1U server with 2TB's (over 2 weeks delivery door to door!!), and 5 minutes later it's up and running.

Well, it takes a little longer to get things shipped down there because they need time to program the hard drives to spin in the opposite direction.

...and let me just say it's spinning very nicely indeed, managing 3 consecutive imports and playback in 2 zones at the same time. These "upgraded" servers are easy to pick from the previous version, with a blue light on button underneath the bezel, runs cooler, and looking at the back the power supply is very different.

Probably true, unfortunately.:(

Jim

*cough*Hopefully they will use the opportunity to retool for production of higher-capacity drives, while they are at it.*cough*

Providing yet one more reason why SSDs are better than spinners... no waiting 3-months to resume production of sliders.

Although I have no clue about the surcharge end date, I think it's safe to say it may be awhile. I decided to ignore it. It is what it is, if I need more storage I'll buy it, surcharge or not.

Jim

Back