• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1U power supply replacement (maybe)

I agree, totally unacceptable, I wouldn't mind knowing who that dealer is.....but obviously your call. Regarding the PS, I'm still not been able to locate a simple drop in replacement, hopefully someone will update this thread with more specific info.

Jim

Seems like no one has found a replacement for the power supply for the 1U.
So should I throw the dammed thing out? What do I do with my M500? Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated. I am ignorant when it comes to these things. I just hate to see these units just sitting there and collecting dust. And I just can't afford to pay $12,000. for all new as suggested by Kscape.

Seems like no one has found a replacement for the power supply for the 1U.
So should I throw the dammed thing out? What do I do with my M500? Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated. I am ignorant when it comes to these things. I just hate to see these units just sitting there and collecting dust. And I just can't afford to pay $12,000. for all new as suggested by Kscape.
I have a spare power supply that I would be willing to let go of since I just sold my last 1U.
It's used but still functional.
Let me know.
Chris

Power-Medic Power Supply Repair
Had some history here last yr I believe. The 1U power supply had overheated and melted and they were able to do the repair.
Also ask here on the forum, there are members who have extra power supplies they might sell.

Best of luck,
Dave

888 904 4222 in Orange, CA.
888 904 4222 in Orange, CA.

Also 1U’s have become very cheap lately. Look into the Marketplace here. I’ve just sold recently two 1U’s cheap! Both were sold on eBay where there are several currently for sale.
Dave

I have a spare power supply that I would be willing to let go of since I just sold my last 1U.
It's used but still functional.
Let me know.
Chris
Chris
I would like to get your spare power supply for the 1U. How much do you want for it? And how do we go about getting it?
Thanks a lot
Tony

Anybody know of any replacement power supply for a 1U that will work, doesn't need to be pretty and can be external with the cables fed through etc? Just would like to get an old 1U of mine working again.

Anybody know of any replacement power supply for a 1U that will work, doesn't need to be pretty and can be external with the cables fed through etc? Just would like to get an old 1U of mine working again.

That thread talks about using a picoPSU to convert the internal power supply to an external brick.

I had found a potential alternative around the beginning of the year, but they wanted $80, it would've required some accommodation (smaller than K-OEM,) and then COVID happened (so communications got even slower than they were before.) If anyone is looking to be more adventurous I can pass the contact info along.

Found a 2 part solution that works with a 1U and the power brick will fit inside if needed or externally with the need to drill the back of the case to mount the power connector. Not the most elegant but a decent work around until a better traditional drop in solution is found.

1U PSU 2.JPG

So, does this repair require both parts...? Is it somewhat intuitive to make the swapover? :/

Both parts are needed and yes it is very intuitive.
The hardest part is removing the 3 pin mains connector from the chassis as it is held by strong spring clips if you decide to mount the PSU brick inside the chassis as I did as that is where I took the mains lead out.
Remove the old PSU and connectors from the motherboard.
Plug in the large micro PSU connector to the motherboard (it only fits one way) and connect the remaining connectors to the motherboard, again they only go one way (yellow to yellow, black to black....) and once all connected plug the 3.5 mm plug on the PSU brick to the connector on the micr PSU and the job is done.
10 to 15 minutes work.

Both parts are needed and yes it is very intuitive.
The hardest part is removing the 3 pin mains connector from the chassis as it is held by strong spring clips if you decide to mount the PSU brick inside the chassis as I did as that is where I took the mains lead out.
Remove the old PSU and connectors from the motherboard.
Plug in the large micro PSU connector to the motherboard (it only fits one way) and connect the remaining connectors to the motherboard, again they only go one way (yellow to yellow, black to black....) and once all connected plug the 3.5 mm plug on the PSU brick to the connector on the micr PSU and the job is done.
10 to 15 minutes work.
Wow! That's awesome! I'll give it a try! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The links you had were for the UK Amazon store, and it looks like the LEICKE brick is out of stock all over. How many amps do you need to provide? Looks like there are some similar and highly rated bricks that deliver 10 Amps... Is that enough to power the 1U? Thank again for the help! This is what I was thinking instead:

They are from the UK store and there are equivalent's in the US store as they vary from country to country, I looked at the amps and watts for the chosen voltage and one that can supply 150W works fine with the 160W micro PSU unit. I have had this solution working since early October 2020, not years but still a good test period. The items below are from the US store but it does seem the PSU bricks are in short supply. The PSU in your post looks OK but all I can confirm is what I have and that works as a replacement in each of my 2 off 1U servers each with 4 off 4Tb drives installed and running 24 by 7.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Personally, I would recommend going larger on something like this so that you aren't near the maximum capacity and stressing the supply which could lead to early failure. I've found over the years with electronics that its better to have some reserve capacity vs operating near or at the max limits. That 10A power brick would only be able to deliver 120W and if the 160W PicoPSU ever needs more than 120W, like during the server starting up, then the power brick will be drawn over its limits.

As another alternative to a 10A power brick, here's a link to one that can deliver up to 20A (240W). With a power brick like this you shouldn't ever have to worry, even if the PicoPSU momentarily spikes to 160W or even higher, the brick will have a 50% reserve above the 160W max.
https://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesale...c5e60&pd_rd_wg=LV1ov&pd_rd_i=B074GGMD5J&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesale...c5e60&pd_rd_wg=LV1ov&pd_rd_i=B074GGMD5J&psc=1

The only downside I see with this larger power brick are its physical dimensions look to be too large to fit inside the server. That may or may not be an issue depending on your goals around the server's appearance and extra wiring/cords.

I got the step up power supply! I'll let you know how it goes. #FingersCrossed.... Thanks for the help, guys!

Hello all,
I am working on a drop in solution and I will get back to yall with this info. I have attached an image with a ruler of the power supply. I also have a solution for a dead motherboard. DM me if you are interested.
Hope this helps20220522_081609.jpg

I am trying to fit this power supply inside the 1U:

View attachment 875

It is closest thing to a drop in power supply for the 1U that I have found but will require a little bit of modification. Mainly and critically the power input has to be adapted and the enclosure will need some slight metal work to be able to mount between the mounting studs for the stock power supply. On the output side, the connections are almost perfect in this has 2 separate 'modular' output cables to connect to a computer's components. For the 1U K, only the 24 pin ATX motherboard connector and 4 pin 12v connector is needed so the 2nd connector set that would go to a computer's hard drive, optical drive, etc. can just simply be left off (instead of having to cut off the rats next of extra connectors). I have compiled some pros and cons of this power supply to consider.

Pros:
Small compact design that will fit inside the 1U with only minimal modification and without having to remove the power supply from its own enclosure.
The 1U server chassis itself will not have to be permanently modified.
Modular power output connectors that match with what the K motherboard needs; No rats nest of extra cables/connectors inside the server
Released in 2019, should be readily available for the foreseeable future.
Reasonable cost

Cons:
Power input connection has to be modified.
Physical mounting of the power supply will require some finesse.
The two above cons will make this replacement difficult for non technical users
The internals of the power supply don't look as robust as the original.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to make this work?
At least on Amazon, it looks like the 250W version is no longer available, but there is a 300W version which seems to be in the same case, so that might work.

Back