• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Add RAM?

AlienW

I'll try and tread lightly on this... Would adding RAM on a 1u server increase performance any? I have found a few old for sale threads that mentioned doubling the RAM by adding the memory module from a dead 1u to the second slot. It was stated that this would speed up response times accessing information on the server.

I have noticed that sometimes the web interface can be slow to respond to requests. And similarly on the player, the 'updating...' message can sometimes take several seconds to go away.

So warranty issues aside, would more RAM do any good? I will accept "don't go there" as a valid answer.

I upgraded the RAM and CPU in my server. I did them both at the same time, so I'm not sure which one made a bigger impact on performance. There might be a slight performance benefit on the onscreen display, but the biggest benefit is the web interface. I even noticed an increase in download speeds.

There are a few generations of 1U server hardware, but if your serial number starts with 0000 (instead of the newer 0103), you probably have the same generation as me.

It has an OEM version of this: http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-673.HTM

There are several components that aren't populated, but it's the same chipset. I maxed out the RAM (2x1GB) and installed the fastest supported CPU (Pentium M 780 (SL7VB)).

The CPUs are long out of production, but you can buy them on eBay for less than $20 shipped (from China).

Of course, proceed at your own risk. I'm not responsible if anyone messes up their server. If you haven't replaced a CPU before, don't start here.

Also, as a side note: a picoPSU (http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT) is a viable option for PSU replacement. You'll have an external power brick, but it works fine. You just have to find a way to mount the jack, or just run the cord through the opening left by old AC inlet.

Yes, that is the ram spec that I used.

The CPU that was in mine was an Intel Celeron M 370 (SL8MM).

Kaleidescape could have changed this at any time, but I do have two servers that both came with this CPU.

Back