• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Wish there was a newby thread

dreaux

Wish there was a newby thread where we that are new can ask basic and dumb questions.

In the beginning all the components and how to use what with what is a bit confusing.

Welcome to the newbie thread. Go ahead and post your questions here.

Yup! The DV700 is a member of both the Encore and Premiere families.

This thread is a great idea. Thanks to contributors. My questions are these:
I have a Premier system with a M700 Disc Vault and a 3U Server. When I import a series such as "Clannad" from the Disc Vault, the only "Play" option is to "Play Disc". There is no "Play Movie" or "Play episodes" option. I know this could be corrected through the "Loan' Program.
Question one, is the proper terminology for this series is that it is "Unrecognized"?
Question two, what is really happening when I select "Play Disc"? The disc has been imported into the 3U hard drive, so is the movie playing from the hard drive or is the "disc" actually playing from the M700 disc optical drive?
Thanks so much for any answers.

1. The proper term would be a movie or show missing bookmarks. An unrecognized title would not know what the title is and would only list the name burned into the disc when it is mastered and would have no cover art, description or cast info.

2. When you select "play disc" you are playing the movie from the hard drives but you are playing it as though it were put into a normal DVD/Blu-ray player and are going to have to navigate through the menus. This is as opposed to "play movie" or "play episode..." that goes straight to the film or that particular episode.

No, it's not considered a Server in the traditional sense, but does have server like function with the 6TB version because of the content storage capability. You could think of as a combination Server - Player (the 6TB version).

Jim

It is a player/server combo although as far as being a server, it isn't as robust as a dedicated server. The player/server combos like the Alto and Strato can serve other players off their hard drive, but they cannot support as many live streams as a Premier or Terra server can.

Yup, which is why my Premiere system isn't going anywhere.....but the Encore has it's place as well, really like them both.

Jim

When you say 'support as many live streams', is that the bandwidth for downloading movies from the store?

It is a player/server combo although as far as being a server, it isn't as robust as a dedicated server. The player/server combos like the Alto and Strato can serve other players off their hard drive, but they cannot support as many live streams as a Premier or Terra server can.

No, the supporting live streams is how many players can watch content from that device. For example, I can have either 50 simultaneous zones playing back different DVD videos at once from my single 3U server, or up to 15 Blu-Ray zones running at once (or some combination of that (like 9 Blu-ray streams and 20 DVD streams).

The Terra Server can support up to 7 UHD streams or 15 Blu-ray streams (so I would assume 50 DVD streams based on above) or some combination of them.

I do not know how many streams can play back from an Alto or Strato, but it is substantially less and since it might have to play back a video as well, that might further eat into its number of supported streams.

If anybody knows what those numbers are, I would be interested to know. I do suspect it would be a bit more complex there is the possibility it is playing back a video either from its own hard drive or streaming it off another server and eating up a large amount of its bandwidth.

The Encore players (Strato and Alto) are able to support two simultaneous movie playbacks. Example permutations:

• Player A is playing a movie from Player B, and Player B is playing a movie from Player A. Both players are fully utilized (because they are each playing one movie and serving another movie: total = 2).
  • Player A is playing a movie from its own hard drive, and Player B is playing a movie from A's hard drive. A is fully utilized. B is only handling 1 movie, so if there were a Player C, it could play a movie from Player B, but not one from Player A.
  • Player A and Player B are both playing movies from Player C's hard drive. (At this point, Player C is fully utilized, and it cannot play anything at all in its local player zone.)

In all cases, if you were to try to exceed these limitations, you'd see a message telling you that the system is too busy to play the movie you selected.

This is why our recommendation is that for any system that requires more than two simultaneous movie playbacks, you consider a Terra server paired with players without their own storage.

I hope this answers your question!

And that 2 movie playbacks is irrespective of the type of movie? Like DVD quality movies would cap out at 2 streams as well as UHD movies would cap out at 2?

I ask because I have 6TB of storage on my players and was planning on merging my system and getting a Terra but figured the UHD and HD content would be loaded onto the Terra and probably be best if the DVD content was on the Stratos (for the DVD content that came from the store - the other stuff would reside on my Premier server) figuring a Strato might be able to stream a couple DVD movies at once while still being used to watch something. If that isn't the case, I guess it doesn't matter much what content is on the Strato hard drives.

It's two playbacks for Blu-ray quality and (for Strato) 4K Ultra HD. Both player types can do up to 4 DVD quality playbacks. Each DVD playback counts as essentially 1/2. So, for example, you could be playing a Blu-ray quality movie locally on the Strato, while it is serving up two DVD quality movies to other zones.

Yes, the Alto currently only comes in a 6TB config, there are no other options. You can group Alto's for additional storage, same with the Strato, and of course the Terra Server is available to increase storage as well.

Jim

Back