• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What's Your AV Setup?

Sim2 micro 60
Stewart FireHawk
Anthem Av2
Linn Klimax ExaDt with 350a Speakers fantastic for music
Kaleidescape 2 1u servers, m700 and m300 players and vault m700

Well, however humbling it may be to type this after seeing some of the incredible gear on here:

Theater: C.I.H. system (Room is 14' 4" wide x 19' long, for reference)
JVC DLA-RS49 (lens memory provides changes from 1.33-1.66-1.78-1.85-2.35)
Dragonfly 94"-wide 'Scope screen, acoustically transparent
Anthem Statement D1
Parasound HCA-1206
Ethereal HDMI 4x1 switcher
KSERVER-2000
M300
KMUSIC-4000
DirecTV HR-21PRO
Escient MX-111
XBox 360
Three Triad beta satellites (prototypes for a line that was never produced)
Two Paradigm Mini Monitors
One Triad InWall Silver/15 Powersub (eventually there will be four)
SurgeX SEQ-1U
SurgeX SX-1120RT
Digital Loggers WPS-7 controllable PDU

Also, the rack houses the network equipment, which consists of the following:
MikroTik CCR-1009-8G-1S-1S+ Cloud Core 9-core Gigabit router, 10G SFP+ link to
MikroTik CRS226-24G-2S+RM 24x Gig Ethernet Layer 3 Smart Switch
Ruckus ZD1106 Zone Director (feeding a Ruckus R700 access point)

The M300 will eventually be moved into the Living Room system after I get an M500 for the rack.

Living Room:
Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD
Integra DTC-9.8
Anthem MCA20
Paradigm Reference Active 20v2 (front)
Paradigm ADP-350 surrounds (guessing on the model, they were here when I bought the house!)
Paradigm DSP-3100 sub
Oppo BDP-83 with serial port and multi-region chip mod
DirecTV HR-21PRO
Apple TV
Roku 2XS

Control of all rooms in the house is provided by an RTI XP-8s and XP-6, and interfaces are via iPad Mini and Galaxy S5. The XP-8s is mounted in the Theater rack, and the XP-6 is local to the Living Room system, which also has a T2x handheld remote. Feedback from the Kaleidescape, among other things, is fantastic using RTiPanel and on the T2x remote, for anyone here who hasn't experienced it yet.

A photo is worth a million words

Wow, these are some pretty impressive systems! I've noticed that forum members rarely seem to post photos here, which I would think would be of supreme interest to most folks. (I see there are a few galleries, but most people like to view photos in relevant posts, in my experience).

Is posting images discouraged due to storage/bandwidth concerns?

Posting images is definitely not discouraged. It can be done inline in a post, and I recently enabled "member galleries" so that people can create photos of their equipment tied to their profiles. I think most people here are somewhat private and pretty reserved about showing their equipment, mostly for privacy reasons. But I love seeing the amazing theaters and equipment racks that people are willing to show.

Crestron Mobile on iPad (I personally programmed all Crestron)
Rack -Top to Bottom
Cisco 2801 Router (running Zone Firewall, Call Manager Express)
Cisco 1141 AP (Hidden)
Escient Vision VS-D modified to VS-100
Wyrestorm 4x4 HDMI Matrix with CAT6 outputs
Crestron Adagio AADS
AppleTV
Time Warner Cable Converter

NOT SHOWN
Samsung Commercial HE46A LCD

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
You guys have some great gear! I have been a part of this forum for about a year and have been reading your post for quite some time - I want to say, since 2008. This forum has been a place where I have picked up some great information and met some informative members that have helped me in developing a system of my own. I am in the beginning stages of upgrading my system that has been put together and taken apart many times over the past few years to accommodate life as it happens, so I thought I would post my current set up for our current living accommodations. Good things to come in the next 1-2yrs! I hope you all continue to post and comment on this post, whether you know it or not you are helping people like me figure out what their next move might be - Thank you! Marc

System as of Today March 14 2015
3u kServer (8 * 4tb)
5u Kserver-2000 that I purchased 2yrs ago that does not turn on - I think the power supply fried when I tried plugging it in the first day I got it - I'm thinking the electric spark near the power supply and burnt smell tipped me off :)
Kplayer-2500
kreader-2000
Pioneer Elite SC-68
Panasonic TH50PZ850U
6 PSB Imagine Mini Speakers
1 PSB Imagine Mini C
Definitive Technology Supercube 1
Sony BDP-CX7000ES For all my Blu-ray's

System To Come - To Be Determined

3u kserver

Hello all,
My name is Ben and I just recently ordered my first K system, albeit on backorder. Below is a very quick overview of my AV system.

Control4 whole house automation system (lights, security, audio, video).
Full home distribution system.

Security System- WirePath 1080p x5 Dome cameras.
4TB WirePath NVR9IP

Theater:
Sim2 Mico 120 LED Projector 1080p Resolution 1000 ANSI, PureLED 3D Technology BLACK Sim2 3D Kit With 4 Pair of RF Glasses and RF emitter
Replaced a JVC DLA X9 THX
136 inch screen.
Integra DTR 50.2
Focal/REL 7.2 theater system (can't find the specs)
10x Leather electronically controlled recliners

Control4 8 Zone Amplifier with 2 digital inputs / 4 analogue inputs 4 pair of speakers powered outputs 120wpc @4ohms (Living Room/Kitchen/Den/ Dinning Room/Office/Master Bed Room/Master Bath)
Focal 2-Way In-Ceiling Hi-Performance Speakers with 6.5" Fiberglass Midbass Cone and 1" Aluminum Inverted Dome Tweeter (each)

Panamax Line Conditioner with Networking
The M300 Player x2
The Kaleidescape 1U Server - 4 x 4 TB, 325 Blu-ray quality movies Kaleidescape Up to 320 discs rips 15 CDs per hour, 3 DVDs per hour, or 1 Blu-ray Disc per hour.
Control4 Controller with 4 Status LEDs/ 4 Serial Ports/ 8 IR Outputs 8 Contacts/ 8 Relays/ 10/100 BaseT Ethernet/ Black Finish
Luxul 24-Port Gigabit Managed PoE/PoE + Switch
Leaf 6x6 HDBaseT Lite Video Matrix Switch Package comes with 6 LB1 Break-Outs.
Component List - Cable Box 1 & 2
Kaleidescape Movie Server 1&2
Family Room - Bose 7.1 system.
PS4
XBox One
PS3
XBox 360
Wii
Wii U

image.jpg

Nice gear guys! It's clear there are some serious AV enthusiasts participating in our Forum!:)

Jim

I agree Jim, tons of great systems here.

Thanks Poindexter, 730 fiber optic points of light. This was my wife's idea and it turned out great.

Doesn't look like this thread gets much interest but here's mine:

QNAP TS-451U NAS
Kaleidescape Strato
Kaleidescape M500
Kaleidescape 3U
Kaleidescape M700
Kaleidescape DV700
Linn Klimax DS network music player
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K blu ray
Sky+HD Satellite
Anthem D2V Processor
Crestron control system (with iPad and apps for the equipment)
Furman Mains conditioner
Linn Klimax 350A front speakers
Linn Klimax 340A centre speaker
Linn Klimax 345 subwoofers (2 of)
Linn Klimax 320A rear speakers
Sony VPL- VW520ES 4K projector with 3D
Stewart Firehawk screen 4' x 7'
X-Box One
Playstation 4 Pro (not shown)
Pro-Ject 6 Perspex SB turntable (not shown)

Attachments

• IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
What's your opinion of the 520ES? I'm tossing up whether to go Sony native 4K or JVC pretend 4k.

Very happy with it. It's been replaced by the 550ES now but the only difference is a higher contrast ratio:

520 - 300,000:1
550 - 350,000:1

Apart from that, both machines are identical. I don't place a lot of importance on contrast ratio because it depends on the viewing conditions in the room. But it's nice and quiet and the 3D is very good. The receiver is built in to the projector so you only need to sit within range of the unit and it works with any active 3D glasses (my Samsungs do just fine). 4K discs themselves are a bit variable in quality though.

Before the Sony I had a Sim2 HT3000 but their 4K projectors are a little out of my price range!

Doesn't look like this thread gets much interest but here's mine:

QNAP TS-451U NAS
Melco anniversary
Kaleidescape Strato
Kaleidescape M500
Kaleidescape 3U
Kaleidescape M700
Kaleidescape DV700
Linn Klimax DS network music player
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K blu ray
Sky+HD Satellite
Anthem D2V Processor
Crestron control system (with iPad and apps for the equipment)
Furman Mains conditioner
Linn Klimax 350A front speakers
Linn Klimax 340A centre speaker
Linn Klimax 345 subwoofers (2 of)
Linn Klimax 320A rear speakers
Sony VPL- VW520ES 4K projector with 3D
Stewart Firehawk screen 4' x 7'
X-Box One
Playstation 4 Pro (not shown)
Pro-Ject 6 Perspex SB turntable (not shown)

Cant believe how similar our systems are
I have
QNAP TS-451U NAS

Kaleidescape M500
Kaleidescape 1U x2
Kaleidescape M700
Kaleidescape DV700
Linn Klimax Exakt
Sky+HD Satellite
Anthem D2V Processor
Control4 system (with iPad and apps for the equipment)
Linn Klimax 350 Exakt
Linn Acurate centre speaker
Linn Melodik
Sim2 Mico 60
Stewart Firehawk screen 4' x 7
SME 30

Now that I've (finally) joined the Kaleidescape family, my set up is

B&O Avant 85
B&O Horizon 48
B&O 14-40

Over an Atlona 6x6 Matrix (AT-UHD-PRO3-66M)

Sources are
Kaleidescape Strato
nVidia Shield
2x Sky+ HD Boxes
Apple TV 4th gen
with an Oppo BD103

Audio in the theatre is 4x BeoLab 5's and two BeoLab 17s (with centre from the Avant)

WIth the Horizon 48, are a pair of Lab3s and S8 rear / sub

With the 14-40 (Bedroom) are a pair of BeoLab 6000s.

Sorry, I'm rather B&O :) but the Strato is providing an impeccable 4k experience to the Avant... highly recommended and already looking at expanding my K footprint!

Nice setup!

Jim

Nice to see all of the various systems, and great that the one common area is Kaleidescape (as it should be I guess, given this is the K owner's Forum)!!

Jim

Back