• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What's the one feature...

I have a 2.40 screen with motorized masking and I really wish I could set the kscape UI and cover gallery to 16:9. I also have a Plex HTPC setup and there’s something magical about seeing the screen open up from 16:9 to 2.40 when a movie comes on that I miss when I’m on kscape.
I 100% agree and have also made this request with a member of the Kaleidescape team.

How do you achieve your 2.40 projection? Anamorphic? Zoomed? On your Plex, is there a lens change or zoom change during the transition from GUI to content?

How do you achieve your 2.40 projection? Anamorphic? Zoomed? On your Plex, is there a lens change or zoom change during the transition from GUI to content?
I have a Lumagen Radiance Pro that does all the processing, aspect-ratio detection and DTM, and it is instantaneous. For the screen I have a Seymour Proscenium and I use a little remote.

So to be sure I'm understanding, you're zooming your projector to fit the width of the 2.40 screen, so basically cropping off the top and bottom of the image. For 2.40 content, it's just displayed letterboxed. For the GUI of the PLEX, it's essentially displayed scaled down (by the Lumagen) so that the 16:9 height of the Plex GUI fits the height of the 2.40 letterbox. If you were to look at the output frame of the projector, you'd see black bars on all four sides of the GUI.

Correct?

So to be sure I'm understanding, you're zooming your projector to fit the width of the 2.40 screen, so basically cropping off the top and bottom of the image. For 2.40 content, it's just displayed letterboxed. For the GUI of the PLEX, it's essentially displayed scaled down (by the Lumagen) so that the 16:9 height of the Plex GUI fits the height of the 2.40 letterbox. If you were to look at the output frame of the projector, you'd see black bars on all four sides of the GUI.

Correct?
Yes, pretty much the standard CIH setup with a scope screen but the video processor does the zooming instead of a physical lens adjustment.

Yes, pretty much the standard CIH setup with a scope screen but the video processor does the zooming instead of a physical lens adjustment.
The more I think. About this, I also recently added a Lumagen. Wouldn’t setting the Kaleidescape to 16x9 screen give us essentially the exact same thing, using Lumagen’s auto-aspect?

The more I think. About this, I also recently added a Lumagen. Wouldn’t setting the Kaleidescape to 16x9 screen give us essentially the exact same thing, using Lumagen’s auto-aspect?
Yes it would, but at the cost of native resolution.

EDIT: I’ve been thinking of trying it out and seeing if I can notice the resolution difference.

Okay, so if that's what you're doing, then just turn off CinemaScape on your Kaleidescape player. The onscreen display will be 16:9, which the Lumagen will have to scale down. 2.40 content will be letterboxed so it should fit your screen without adjustmnet. Any other aspect ratios will need to be scaled down appropriately by the Lumagen.

Okay, so if that's what you're doing, then just turn off CinemaScape on your Kaleidescape player. The onscreen display will be 16:9, which the Lumagen will have to scale down. 2.40 content will be letterboxed so it should fit your screen without adjustmnet. Any other aspect ratios will need to be scaled down appropriately by the Lumagen.
Yeah I just tried it and that does work.

You mentioned using a remote for your screen. Assuming that the Lumagen is doing auto-aspect, it should be possible for it to output aspect ratio information for your screen to auto-adjust. You can of course get aspect ratio triggers from the Kaleidescape player, but if you do it through the Lumagen it would work for other sources.

You mentioned using a remote for your screen. Assuming that the Lumagen is doing auto-aspect, it should be possible for it to output aspect ratio information for your screen to auto-adjust. You can of course get aspect ratio triggers from the Kaleidescape player, but if you do it through the Lumagen it would work for other sources.
Yes, I’m a bit wary of it for now because the Lumagen’s method for aspect detection is image based so depending on the film it sometimes senses a lot of false aspect ratio changes and I don’t want it engaging the motor. Kaleidescape’s method is much more reliable because it’s based on metadata. For now I enjoy playing projectionist, but in the future I am interested in integrating lighting and screen motor control via the kscape.

Thanks for chiming in, it got me to the menu display that gives the most impact to people visiting!

so actually this works perfectly! I was worried about losing resolution but in the player settings, under Select Video Output Behavior, if you have Mode Selection Behavior set to Allow Display Mode Changes (use external scaler), this ignores your OSD video preferences and always will output the movie you play in its native resolution. I‘m super happy now!

Yes, I’m a bit wary of it for now because the Lumagen’s method for aspect detection is image based so depending on the film it sometimes senses a lot of false aspect ratio changes and I don’t want it engaging the motor.
We often implement that in way that we let the videoprocessor detect the AR and then have the user push a button to let the mask move to that AR. Then the AR will be fixed and doesn´t move even if the content AR changes. Indeed, you don´t want to have your mask moving during a movie...

Ability to change the player Audio capabilities through automation. Example I have a player connected to a video matrix and have Control4. On the matrix I have some set ups that have surround sound and some that just use the TV speakers. When it comes to movies with DTS I have change the player to do the decoding on TVs without surround and back to pass through on TVs with receivers.

Was annoying enough that I bought an extra Strato C, but would have been nice if this setting was exposed in the Control4 driver. Or some place other than the Settings that are only available through the IP page.

And I’m still hating that there is no auto collection feature. I tend to create collections like Mission Impossible and place them all in there. Or 4K Movies and place them all in there. Maintaining this manually is kind of a pain. I know systems like Plex can do this with pretty good accuracy. I also noticed recently when I had to download some of my movies again after adding a second Terra, the movies that I had to redownload I had to create their collections all over again.

Ability to change the player Audio capabilities through automation. Example I have a player connected to a video matrix and have Control4. On the matrix I have some set ups that have surround sound and some that just use the TV speakers. When it comes to movies with DTS I have change the player to do the decoding on TVs without surround and back to pass through on TVs with receivers.
That is something your matrix should/could do, not the source.

That is something your matrix should/could do, not the source.
Yeah come to think of it I have multiple NVIDIA Shields on the same video matrix that are setup for audio passthru on the shield itself that I don’t have this issue with. Seems to only be an issue with my Strato C source devices.

with Netflix no longer renting DVD's, and BestBuy ending its sale of DVD's, i think there will be a opening market for a lower priced K system. Thinking bringing back the Strato S, still with the older download speed but a price point that doesn't price out most people. Get them hooked on the system and then upsell them to the faster downloads of the Primes.

A second thought is with the Download speeds of the Prime systems, it would really be nice now to have the system show all your owned movies, just grey out ones that are not downloaded. Make it much easier to find a movie to watch and not forget you own a movie.

When you are downloading to a terra drive and you have more than one, can you select what server it loads on?
I am looking at getting an older larger Terra, for movies that I won't be shuffling out, my Favorites so the slow download speed doesn't matter, and a second smaller Prime server for the movies I can't keep loaded and will only occasionally watch, so the faster download speed will be useful.

When you are downloading to a terra drive and you have more than one, can you select what server it loads on?
I am looking at getting an older larger Terra, for movies that I won't be shuffling out, my Favorites so the slow download speed doesn't matter, and a second smaller Prime server for the movies I can't keep loaded and will only occasionally watch, so the faster download speed will be useful.
I was just thinking about that. I got a Strato S about a week ago, and having a "storage manager" function would be great. Download stuff through the fastest system, but have an interface where you can move things around on all devices in your system on your local network. Move favorite movies to "slower" storage, and be able to optimize filling up each device. Right now the only way to decide where to download a movie, is to shut down every device but that one, and then initiate the download.

So Kaleidescape team: Please, pretty please, can we get a storage manager option?

In the meantime, you can just turn off/unplug the device you don't want it going to and it will go to your preferred server.

I previously did this to put HD content on an Alto to free up space for 4K content on the Terra.

Back