• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What's leading in home automation these days?

There is no MSRP on PakEdge equipment and it is only available from authorized dealers. The cost of a 16 port switch is in the $450-$500 range.

"The SW16-GB Enterprise-Class rack-mountable Gigabit Ethernet switch is designed so that all cables install from the back, for a clean-finished rack appearance, which custom installers and their clients prefer. The SW16-GB?s ultra-quiet fan design provides silent operation ? a major plus when installed near AV equipment.

The SW16-GB includes 16- 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit ports. The store-and-forward architecture filters errors and forwards packets in a non-blocking environment. Flow control ensures correct data is transmitted, and 802.3x and backpressure flow-control mechanisms work respectively for full and half-duplex modes.

The SW16-GB is built with heavy-duty 1U housing, and designed for easy installation and maintenance. (Rack-mount hardware is included.)

The SW16-GB supports the Nway auto-negotiation protocol that automatically detects network speed (10/100/1000 Mbps) and Full/Half duplex modes. Auto-MDI/MDI-X functionality eliminates the need for crossover cables. Rich diagnostic Blue LEDs provide real-time status information."

That is not at all unreasonable given the performance. Its a lot better than knowing youll have to replace a switch every 12-24 months!

Yes, although more expensive than the typical off the shelf stuff at BB, it is easily worth the cost IMO.:)

We've been exclusively using the Pakedge gear in all of our K installs and it's nice to not have to go back to deal with network issues. Any of our client/friends that want to move to Pakedge, let me know.

(BTW, the reason for the "pricey" comment is based on all components being Pakedge (switches, POE switches, routers, WAP's, etc.). I'm using only Pakedge gear and the cost is more like $2K.)

Jim

Last edited:
I will eventually go to their router and switches. WAP I have several apple airports and they do the job for me. I dont need what pakedge does for that purpose- or do I?

No need to go "all" Pakedge, I just happen to like their WAPs, coverage is awesome. :)

Jim

I dont doubt it- but I have to tell you I am very happy with how well the Apple Airport Extremes have worked for us.

I dont doubt it- but I have to tell you I am very happy with how well the Apple Airport Extremes have worked for us.

That's all that matters! As long as they work each time they are needed, no reason to change.:)

Jim

Back