• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What's leading in home automation these days?

AnOutsider

Hey guys,

The missus and I are planning a new home, and naturally we want a K system to be a part of it. Right now we have a Crestron system through the house, and it's likely because of the software developed by our installers, but we don't like it much. The UI is odd, it's clunky and slow to use, and integration is more feeling like a HTPC than the leanness you expect from a K system.

We also got security cameras added, and the integration is near none. We have to use separate apps on our computers, phones and ipads to view them.

Surely there's a better solution, or "ecosystem" out there! What do you guys recommend? We'd like to tie in lights, audio, intercom, security cameras etc. The kscape video controls can remain on the TV, no sense using a wall-mounted touch panel as a remote.

Oh, and speaking of music. It seems K is just sitting still on that front. Think it makes sense to use a Sonos system for audio, and just use the K for video?

I think its still Crestron or AMX. Theres a system thats mac based but I cant remember it right now. I think we are going to see a big switch over to more tablet/phone control in the next few years so I would say its probably best to hold off on any big expenses on this- but perhaps tweaking the programming to get it right.

I think its still Crestron or AMX. Theres a system thats mac based but I cant remember it right now. I think we are going to see a big switch over to more tablet/phone control in the next few years so I would say its probably best to hold off on any big expenses on this- but perhaps tweaking the programming to get it right.

The system that JerryL is referring to is called Savant...

Recently I just moved into a new house and investigated a number of differing automation systems and went with Crestron...the key, as you note, is the integrator and their ability to develop an ergonomic and intuitive paradigm...I accomplished this by designing my own templates and then had the CI make them them come to life and, because they work the way I think, nothing could be easier...

I would agree that if your system is as messed up as you say then it is an issue with your integrator.

Asking what is the best system will give you any number of responses. We are AMX and Savant dealers so I would not recommend a Crestron or Control 4 system. Does that mean they are bad? No. Again it is the service provided by your integrator that really matters. Do yourself a favor and start with a CEDIA certified integrator, but then still do your homework. Being certified doesn't mean that you are talented either.

So it isn't just the hardware that makes for a logically designed, easy to use system.

So true. Btw- I should have said AMX also when I said Crestron. The truth is it really comes down to how its all integrated and programed. The Savant stuff is really cool also.

Yeah, I ended up finding the RTI software on eBay and fiddled around with it to get my remotes the way I want. In the end, I may do the same with the touchpanels. That, or do as someone said, and design it first, then have them code it

So, one other option you may want to look at is Homelogic. (I am not a Homelogic dealer.)

So everything is really messed up for everyone then?! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Actually, the CIs were so impressed with my template that they asked whether they could use it elsewhere which I believe that they have...I spent 100s of hours designing and redesigning it to make sure that it was as intuitive as possible and the proof is in the pudding in that not one person has ever needed more than 3 minutes of training to be able to fully operate the entire house...

Yeah, I ended up finding the RTI software on eBay and fiddled around with it to get my remotes the way I want. In the end, I may do the same with the touchpanels. That, or do as someone said, and design it first, then have them code it

Very intuitive and very easy to program...I have programmed many remote control systems ad found this to be on of the easiest and most capability without needed tons of hands-on time...

Might want to hold off on any Homelogic purchases. Homelogic was purchased by Elan, which is now part of the AVC Group, which is owned by Harmon. Consolidation is occurring within AVC. The new product is called g!. If you want something along the Homelogic family but yet much more powerful.

Might want to hold off on any Homelogic purchases. Homelogic was purchased by Elan, which is now part of the AVC Group, which is owned by Harmon. Consolidation is occurring within AVC. The new product is called g!. If you want something along the Homelogic family but yet much more powerful.

Meant Nortek not Harmon. Mark Terry is the new President of AVC Group and he came from Harmon.

I like "simple". Simple = IP. On a smart phone, itouch, ipad, PC, and/or mac. Absent that, you can't go wrong with RTI. URC isn't too bad either.

Sonos has probably the best example of "simple" control. And all the apps are free. This has become my 2nd favorite proiduct line. The 1st, of course, being Kaleidescape!

+ 1 on the Savant. I am in the process of building the system into my current home, while building a basement home theater. I'll try to post updates as I use the system on an everyday basis

http://www.savantav.com/

I met with my builder yesterday and he also mentioned savant. I think he said they're mac-based (unless that was another one). Gonna check them out.

Savant does get good reviews and there is another forum member using the system with his K. Overall, as I remember it, he is satisfied with the performance, but I do remember he mentioned a couple of negatives. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what they related to so hopefully he will see this a post a comment.

Like all of these control systems, the specific setup (equipment, network, etc.) will affect system performance. This probably accounts for the varied comments we see among owners, both positive and negative.

Jim

Back