• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What control system do you recommend? Control4 vs Savant or Creston?

I think you'll find that you like this, because it allows you to have the same source playing simultaneously in multiple rooms. Certainly, when it's time for me to do house cleaning, I put something up on YouTube and send it to all my TVs so I can enjoy listening to it as I move from room to room. That wasn't possible when I had dedicated Apple TVs in each room.

With that said, I live alone, so I don't have a use case that calls for different content in different rooms. If you foresee a time when you may have one family member in one room watching something, and another watching something different in another room, then you can just have multiple source devices in the rack. I think one common approach is to have one for each family member, and then they can select "their" Apple TV or Kaleidescape player or whatnot and be assured that they won't conflict with anybody else.
that is a use case I didn't think about! Yeah, my plan is to have 3 apple TVs (one for each kid, and one for parents), two strato players, and possibly spectrum cable TV distributed. When I was looking at overall system price, it probably wasn't that cost effective if I was just going to have Apple TVs only to use the Savant distributed video, but when I got the Kscape demo and fell in love with their user interface and movie quality, it started to make sense to switch back to distributed video because I don't want to have to buy movies on both platforms, although I will probably end up doing that with my kids...hahah.

I'm planning on a Savant 4k video IP system for my home and would like to distribute kscape throughout the home - the dealer I am working with mentioned dedicating a kscape player in our home theater room, but I prefer to just distribute 2 players over the Savant system. Is there any difference in video quality when distributed over Savant, I don't believe there would be?

Curious if you have regrets in your system design or things you would do differently? Good to hear you like it so well.
Especially if you're getting Terra/Strato C hardware, you should have one of the Strato C units locally in the theater. You can likely locate all your sources in the rack, since you're planning on the Savant video over IP transmitter/receivers, and just distribute one of them around the house. This way you maximize audio/video performance in the theater, and still have the convenience of Strato C video in the rest of the house. Also, whether you choose a 4-input or 8-input transmitter system, you'll gain an additional input by not using both Strato C units on it. In the use case where you would have six devices, with maybe two Strato Cs, two Roku Ultras, and two cable boxes, you could use the 4-input and save a good bit of money by keeping a Strato C and a Roku for local only use.

To be clear, when speaking about Kaleidescape players, if you stop playback in one zone and then go to resume in another zone, the movie will pick up where you left off.

Regarding the OP's question, the media-over-IP systems that I'm familiar with employ some degree of image compression. Keep in mind that a 4K/60 HDMI connection requires an 18Gbps link, so even on a system that is using a 10Gbps Ethernet connection, some compression must be applied. It might be possible to use a mathematically lossless compression with a 10Gbps underlying link, but I don't know if anybody does that. Certainly the systems that use a 1Gbps Ethernet link must use lossy compression

The other factor to consider is audio. Does every zone in your house support lossless Dolby Atmos and DTS:X? Or does the media-over-IP system you're looking at include decode and down-mix functionality to provide a suitable audio signal to your other zones? If not, you could potentially find your audio "dumbed down" to the level of your lowest-quality zone.

For my own home use, I have a Strato player connected to my media-over-IP system (a Crestron NVX in my case, which uses 1Gbps Ethernet) that feeds all of the displays in my house except the theater. I have a dedicated Strato in the theater. Although I've never seen a noticeable artifact on the NVX-connected displays, I wasn't willing to accept anything other than a direct connection for my prime movie zone. Plus, all of my other zones are stereo, while my theater is of course not.

This is just my thinking on the subject. Others are certainly welcome to disagree.
This will become more and more relevant as we progress towards HDMI 2.1 and the associated (up to) 24Gbps data rate. Dedicated HDMI switching with fiber HDMI cables will still be The Way.

that is a use case I didn't think about! Yeah, my plan is to have 3 apple TVs (one for each kid, and one for parents), two strato players, and possibly spectrum cable TV distributed. When I was looking at overall system price, it probably wasn't that cost effective if I was just going to have Apple TVs only to use the Savant distributed video, but when I got the Kscape demo and fell in love with their user interface and movie quality, it started to make sense to switch back to distributed video because I don't want to have to buy movies on both platforms, although I will probably end up doing that with my kids...hahah.
I think your plan for an Apple TV (personally I'd do Roku Ultra for its superior control integration) for each child and parents is a great idea. As someone mentioned, you can allow the choice of streaming client per user to happen in every video zone because of the centrally distributed video system, which is super nice. My wife and I watch different stuff, so I'd also have three, because I have one child, but the idea is the same. We actually have four, because we have one dedicated for Guests, but you get my drift.

I've worked with Crestron in multiple commercial spaces and played around with RTI and a few other systems at some friends' houses, but I personally chose Control4 for my home and family. Now, I will be the first to admit that I overwrote the local certificate and have gone in and managed my C4 system beyond what C4 "authorizes" end users to do. My dealer knows about it and I've actually taught their techs a few tricks just from some of the automations that you can program. At the end of the day it is absolutely whatever UI and experience you enjoy the most. C4, Crestron, Savant, RTI, etc. all can do an amazing job. It just is where do you want to spend your money and time.
Hello, just curious what tips and tricks you shared with the c4 integrators.
Thank you

Hello, just curious what tips and tricks you shared with the c4 integrators.
Thank you
Mostly it was around setting some of the conditional operations of certain items (geofencing, change the function of wall buttons based on what else is already going on, etc.) and then teaching them some ways to utilize the smart blinds that Budget Blinds offers. A few things with the advanced scheduling and programming, but nothing that is too applicable outside of a few niche uses. If there is anything in particular you are looking for in C4, I can try to help, but it would depend on if I have the driver already.

I have control4 for just my home theater and was using it with alexa voice control with just a few issues. Amazon added something to alexa recently and totally broke the compatibility with the control4 drivers. I then added Josh Ai for voice control (2 weeks ago) and have periodic hiccups with Trinnov A16 turning back on after all is turned off—mostly after using my roon nucleus. To be fair it might be the RAAT software working inside the roon-ready Trinnov. To cope, I now turn off all equipment just after listening to roon rather than switch to another source. This off-after-roon seems to fix the Trinnov turning back on after a multiple source evening not involving roon. I asked my installer if i could just switch to savant but he said he uses both and prefers the control4. As others have said, “IF” you have a good programmer you will have a good experience. I will keep trying but my experience has not been trouble free.

I think I started a reply and then forgot about finishing it, so a bit delayed.

We have Crestron across the house as the overall integration system. This integrates certain devices directly and others via other control systems that manage subsets. There is some overlap in those sub systems. Lutron, Somfy TaHoma (excellent BTw) Velux, Kasa, CCTV, Alexa routines.

Commands are either automated by triggers (time/events/conditions and time), phone/tablet apps, wall pad, Alexa voice control.

The cinema room can all be managed by the Crestron/Apps/Alexa combo. That includes the Kaleidescape integration, air con, lights other AV kit. We also have a remote control handset which is handy. Re K, the play lights off/pause lights on works brilliantly. Relatively simple but just works and so useful.

Crestron and Lutron programming is all done for us by our HA/AV supplier. Most of the other sub systems I can add/manipulate myself which provides some flexibility.

Across the house I probably use the Alexa commands more often than anything else. Occasionally it can respond weirdly but for the most part it’s extremely useful. Careful selection of command words is key.

Back