• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video Processor… Lumagen

I have my Lumagen turn on before anything, an it turns on my Trinnov via a trigger output from the Lumagen to the Trinnov. Projector and K turn on around the same time. Haven't had any issues with this routine.

OK then seems like I have the right settings as the Stratos is always on but we just wake it before before turning the Lumagen On FIRST and then Trinnov and give 30 seconds as Trinnov takes time to start up (including triggering all the amps) and then turn on the projector.
In my Case the projector takes about 3 minutes to start up as we have programmed the Crestron to cut power off to the projector so when it starts it needs to warm up etc.
When I had my Sony VW5000 I had all kind of HDMI sync issues but with the new projector I don't have any.

Not sure if having the K on all the time would be a good idea because of the HDMI EDID handshakes. Not sure how stable they are when it goes into sleep mode. If the Lumagen is turning off, it is not seeing anything during that period but then is, so that could be throwing things off. I always tell clients to turn off any and all sources they are not using if they have a Lumagen. This is so you are eliminating the chance that a source on a different input than what you are using is screwing around with the one you are using. Remember, HDMI is end to end, so EVERYTHING plugged in to EVERYTHING in the system has to validate and interact with everything else. Not just the stuff that you have selected.

I can't tell you how many times I've done troubleshooting on a system with a client that insists there is an issue with their hardware only to find out that they have another device connected to their system somewhere that they completely failed to mention. Some secondary monitor on their audio processor or multiple HDMI runs to the same device. I finally find it and once removed everything works as intended.

What are folks doing with streamers like ATV? Even though I turn it off using a discrete power off, not sure if it is really off.

I haven’t had any issues with my appletv just doing the normal sleep (holding top two buttons and saying sleep) in my setup. I use a gen 1 ATV4K

Thanks for the comments and reaching out again Kris. My comments came at a very heated moment of another frustrating adventure with my setup. System works without Lumagen, put the Lumagen in the mix and my audio stops working every once in a while. My kid had a party planned and I tried for over an hour to get things fixed. We watched a movie perfectly fine on Thursday.

The issue is intermittent and Kris & Jim at Lumagen did resolve my issue back in September. It has returned multiple times but I fixed it on my own by disconnecting and reconnecting everything, powering off, unplugging power etc. constant headache.

As Kris, Jim and others have said it may not be the Lumagen. Could be my JBL. I really don't know but at this point I'm willing to try everything and anything.

Will be connecting with Kris this week. Thanks all.

Not sure if having the K on all the time would be a good idea because of the HDMI EDID handshakes. Not sure how stable they are when it goes into sleep mode. If the Lumagen is turning off, it is not seeing anything during that period but then is, so that could be throwing things off. I always tell clients to turn off any and all sources they are not using if they have a Lumagen. This is so you are eliminating the chance that a source on a different input than what you are using is screwing around with the one you are using. Remember, HDMI is end to end, so EVERYTHING plugged in to EVERYTHING in the system has to validate and interact with everything else. Not just the stuff that you have selected.

I can't tell you how many times I've done troubleshooting on a system with a client that insists there is an issue with their hardware only to find out that they have another device connected to their system somewhere that they completely failed to mention. Some secondary monitor on their audio processor or multiple HDMI runs to the same device. I finally find it and once removed everything works as intended.
You'd think they could build in a trigger system through HDMI...Projector on, triggers next component, boots up & triggers next component, all the way down the line. Instead they leave it to the end user to troubleshoot handshakes.

It would be something if they could just get an HDMI cable that works as based upon my recent experience it seems new cables like Ruipro fibre cables don't work with legacy players and Lumagen Pro's. Just a black screen every time and every player tried whereas 2 old cables joined together with an HDMI connector work perfectly.

My Crestron is set to trigger as follows:
Wake Kaleidespae On to Covers
Wait 15 Seconds
Turn Lumagen Power ON
Wait 15 Seconds
Tuen Trinnov On
Wait 30 Seconds
Turn Projector On

The idea is that before the projector turns on all the devices in the video and audio chain are up and running for the projector to see.

I have no issues on picture sync except for a occasional time when the covers on K don't are out of sync but when I change the source to say Apple TV and return back to Covers all is good BUT am curious to know if the above is the right order or should the Lumagen be turned on after the Trinnov?
Not questioning at all that this works fine for you, but EDID actually works from sink to source.
So there´s nothing "to see" for the projector as it is just sending out EDID information down the chain.
So actually the following order would be the "correct" order in terms of EDID information exchange:
1. Projector
2. VP
3. Trinnov
4. KScape (source)
or (if sources are connected to the Lumagen)
1. Projector
2. Trinnov
3. VP
4. KScape (Source)

If somebody´s experiencing any issue, i´d try this way.

I posted this in another forum and have never had the type of audio issues suggested, but maybe there is something you can try!

I might have finally got my theater setup to not have any audio drops. I've never had too many, but even one was annoying. My main focus was to eliminate any drops from Kaleidescape and get back to using the audio output from my Lumagen. I’ve picked up some suggestions about audio drops and finally implemented them all. So far, the results are great. It maybe just one of these things that did the trick or a combination of several. My primary components are Strato C, Trinnov Alt32, Lumagen 5348, JVC RS4100. Also, have Apple TV and other sources, amps, etc.

Rack
Over the years in making changes to my primary rack, it pretty much was a mess. This advice came from Adam Pelz:

“Same advice I give every integrator and client that I work for, and the same advice I give myself on projects that I'm personally with involved during the installation and commissioning : 3m passive cables, from Ethereal, AVPro BulletTrain, or Tributaries. New 8k passive cables are OK to use.

Use long sweeping turns, don't coil the excess cable, route away from any power. I did some unscientific testing on some projects, and I am of the strong opinion that although many cables easily pass bench tests, when you put that same cable in an actual real world installation, routed near lots of power supplies and other sources of RFI/EMI, and enclosed in a metal cage (rack), success drops.”

Based upon Adam’s suggestion and watching some YouTube rack videos, I pulled out everything from my rack and basically started over. Starting at the top, the rack is divided into Power/Conditioning, Audio/Video, and Amplification. I switched my Trinnov Alt32 to use DB25 connectors. All power related cables are on one side and audio/video signal type cables on the other. Any power bricks were moved way out of the way and not close to anything audio/video related. My HDMI cables now use “long sweeping turns” (yes, they were all coiled up).

Cables
I did switch 2 of my cables AVPro Edge BT-10KUHD-030 Bullet Train 3M Meter 10K 48Gbps HDMI Cable. One going from my Strato to the Lumagen and the other from the Lumagen audio out to my Alt32 (I have the older 7 port version, but used Port 7 as often recommended)

Startup sequence
I’ve tried many. Folks have suggested Projector, Lumagen, Trinnov, Strato or Projector Trinnov, Lumagen, Strato. However based on feedback from Kris Deering (we have very similar equipment), I switched mine to exactly what he suggested:

“I have my Lumagen turn on before anything, an it turns on my Trinnov via a trigger output from the Lumagen to the Trinnov. Projector and K turn on around the same time. Haven't had any issues with this routine.”

Lumagen setup
I changed my source input to the suggested 1, 3, 5, 7, 9… I also now make sure the all sources are OFF if not being used. This includes using Discrete Off command for my Apple TV. I’ve checked this out several times and when I switch to other sources, they show no signal from the Lumagen info screen. Prior, I had the Apple TV on input 4 with my Strato on input 3. That pair may have not liked each other when the Apple TV was on. Who knows… I’m just using Output 1 (Audio) and Output 3 (Video) on the Lumagen

Good luck!

Well I started this thread and I’m afraid to say I had a hiccup with my new Lumagen. Jim Peterson tried to trouble shoot it but long story short he had me send it back. He found an issue, worked on it, and it should arrive today.

I will be honest: I did an huge upgrade to my HT starting back in October. All to get Dolby Atmos with new; amps, preamp, projector, 8 new speakers, all new wiring, tore my equipment room to the studs to expand it for all the new gear. And I still have not gotten everything working the way it should eight months later. It‘s just one headache after another. I now have remote control issues. I am tired of this mess and all I want is for it to work. Sorry in advance for the whining…

Last edited:
I just disconnected every single cable and power supply, reconnected everything back up. Started my system with the Lumagen first then powered on my JBL. Everything worked.

I powered off, waited 5 minutes and started everything back up. The power on the Lumagen, Projector, JBL all came on at the same time and everything is still working perfectly. I repeated this process 6 times over the course of an hour and still no issues.

We will see how long it lasts. Hopefully for ever.

I am going to start the same sequence as Kris uses “I have my Lumagen turn on before anything, an it turns on my Trinnov via a trigger output from the Lumagen to the Trinnov. Projector and K turn on around the same time. Haven't had any issues with this routine.”

Thanks for all the help and thanks for the support Kris.

I'm glad to say my Lumagen is up and running. The picture is noticeable better than before. I really like how the colors look so rich and pop off the screen. I also have a lot more detail in low light HDR scenes that I did not have before, which is why I bought the Lumagen to begin with. I can not wait for Kris to come out and do a full A/V calibration.

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    8.2 MB · Views: 30
Back