• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video Processor… Lumagen

Trek737

Curious who is using the Lumagen VP and what their thoughts are on how much improvement it makes to your image especially with HDR content. I’m considering the Lumagen 5348 but I’m looking for big gains in low light scenes with HDR to bring out more detail and more vibrant colors in brighter scenes. I’m using the VPL-XW7000ES and the SDR out of the box is awesome but I want to be equally impressed with HDR as well. Thoughts for those who use a Lumagen. Big gains or small improvements? Thanks, Jim

The internal handling of HDR of the XW7000 is not very good, so i would expect a big improvement.
We´re using the madVR Envy as a standard VP in our projects, but overall the Lumagen is pretty much equivalent.
So i´d definitely recommend to add a VP to your setup.

I have a Lumagen (I had 2 they were that good, one for HT and one for the living room). Like K, I can't imagine never being without it. MUST have it properly configured though, THE guy is Gordon who travels all over and I think he's probably been to the properties of most people on this forum with a Lumagen LOL.

I have 2 as well and they are amazing. Gordon hasn't been to my place but there is an open invite as I am sure I am not getting the best out of the product even so with my simple skills the results as amazing...............

I own two of the Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446. Used one with a Sony VPL-VW5000ES and the other with a Sony OLED. The one I used with the projector is now for sale in the Marketplace. Besides the improvements to video, eliminating the AVP from the video chain made a lot of things work better for me. I've always run the audio from the Lumagen to the AVP (a Mac MX160 and before that a Bryston SP3 in my use case), eliminating the need to switch inputs on the AVP and with that the potential for the AVP to cause issues with HDMI.

I have 2 as well and they are amazing. Gordon hasn't been to my place but there is an open invite as I am sure I am not getting the best out of the product even so with my simple skills the results as amazing...............

I have the 4242 and could not be happier with the purchase and the processor into my system. As much as it does for HDR the auto aspect switching for my scope screen is priceless. The customer support is top notch and would highly recommend LRP. @kris Deering did the calibration for me and I know he can do it remotely and ship it to you and had many other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5348 owner here.
Wouldn't use a projector without one, plus the 5348 reduces jitter for cleaner audio.

I love my Lumagen. I’ve had an Envy before too, it’s also terrific.

DTM is fantastic. I also love the auto aspect control for my scope screen

I use one with my NZ9 and as others here have already stated, I am a direct dealer and offer them fully setup and customized for the clients setup upon delivery. Reach out if I can help at all!

I purchased a Radiance PRO as I was unhappy with the HDR and lack of DTM on my 2 year old (at the time) Sony VPL-VW325ES. Kris Deering customized it remotely for me and I felt like a had a totally new projector. Since I run a 2.35 screen using the ZOOM method the Radiance is also invaluable by properly scaling everything so I don't have to use the Sony lens memory which simply doesn't hold the set positions all that well.

The Firmware updates are pretty awesome as well - they seem to always be striving to make it a better product.

Good Luck

I am a dummy when it comes to this stuff but what I would say is that the image transformed with the addition of the Madvr Envy in our setup. Have seen both of the calibrators (would recommend them both TBH - Gordon and Jules) and had both bits of kit working here over the years . Lumagen looked good but we passed at the time but later plumped for the MadVR. Can see pluses and minuses for both in terms of capabilities etc. depending on your requirements and existing kit.

Thanks everyone so far for your feed back! Almost all seem positive. Any comments on exactly what you notice different in the picture quality once you installed the Lumagen that your eyes said yes this image is so much better...ie brightness, color enhancement etc. Especially concerning HDR content, as I feel HDR is my weak link. It's another big investment plus the hassle of rearranging the rack again and I need to be sure before going down this road. Thanks again.

No video processor can make a projector do something that it can't do (make it brighter, have more dynamic range or a wider color gamut). But it can provide much better processing that can help make the most of the content you are watching. HDR processing is significantly better, as is handling different aspect ratios if you have a system with a scope screen and/or an anamorphic lens. There are other things that will also be better (scaling, calibration capabilities, ease of use factors, etc). You would have considerably better HDR performance than the Sony 7000ES.

No video processor can make a projector do something that it can't do (make it brighter, have more dynamic range or a wider color gamut). But it can provide much better processing that can help make the most of the content you are watching. HDR processing is significantly better, as is handling different aspect ratios if you have a system with a scope screen and/or an anamorphic lens. There are other things that will also be better (scaling, calibration capabilities, ease of use factors, etc). You would have considerably better HDR performance than the Sony 7000ES.
Thanks for the above! I plan on watching a few HDR movies this weekend to decide which direction I should go with or without VP.

Thanks for the above! I plan on watching a few HDR movies this weekend to decide which direction I should go with or without VP.
Without direct comparison, it will be hard to decide since you don´t know how it would look like with a VP.
Any chance you can get a dealer come over to your house to demo or you can visit somebody (user/dealer) in your area who has a VP installed?
With your XW7000, the image won´t look bad in any case - the thing is that it would just look so much better with a VP.

I think of it as being akin to DV for projectors.
Each frame is analyzed and processed.
The result is a better picture.
Then there is automatic aspect detection, the way it is "plug and play" (once calibrated with your projector) and the way it works with a Panamorph lens (and for me, scope is *it*) - with jitter reduction just being icing on the cake.

Without direct comparison, it will be hard to decide since you don´t know how it would look like with a VP.
Any chance you can get a dealer come over to your house to demo or you can visit somebody (user/dealer) in your area who has a VP installed?
With your XW7000, the image won´t look bad in any case - the thing is that it would just look so much better with a VP.
I agree it would be nice to try it in my HT and see an A/B comparison of the same content. My dealer is out of state… I have seen a Lumagen 4446 with a Sony VPL-VW5000ES and the picture was jaw dropping, but then again it had 5000 lumens compared to my 3200… but his screen was larger then mine.

I have seen a Lumagen 4446 with a Sony VPL-VW5000ES and the picture was jaw dropping, but then again it had 5000 lumens compared to my 3200…
And you didn´t know how it was calibrated and if it was running with color filter or not.
We do send over an Envy to potential customers for testing. This works very well since the Envy is pretty plug&play and self explanatory for standard operation. Whereas the Lumagen is pretty complex right from the beginning. I don´t know if it makes sense for a dealer to send over a demo unit to you.

Back