• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video Processor… Lumagen

And you didn´t know how it was calibrated and if it was running with color filter or not.
We do send over an Envy to potential customers for testing. This works very well since the Envy is pretty plug&play and self explanatory for standard operation. Whereas the Lumagen is pretty complex right from the beginning. I don´t know if it makes sense for a dealer to send over a demo unit to you.
No it is not. I've been thru the Envy dealer training and it isn't any easier than setting up a Lumagen. In fact a lot of the advanced features are easier to do on the Lumagen than the Envy and don't require the end user to go into the menus all the time to turn things on and off (direct remote access). This "it is easier" stuff is just marketing. First it was "just plug it in and turn it on", which is complete rubbish. You could say the exact same thing about the Lumagen since it is pretty well setup out of the box with most of the key features enabled. I guarantee I could setup a Lumagen in less time than it takes an Envy dealer to setup an Envy for its full feature set and the client would rarely if ever have to interact with the Lumagen after that point unless they want to do special things to the aspect ratio, which is all direct commands from the remote (something the Envy doesn't offer).

And you didn´t know how it was calibrated and if it was running with color filter or not.
We do send over an Envy to potential customers for testing. This works very well since the Envy is pretty plug&play and self explanatory for standard operation. Whereas the Lumagen is pretty complex right from the beginning. I don´t know if it makes sense for a dealer to send over a demo unit to you.
Not familiar with the Envy but if I do go the VP route I’m leaning to the Lumagen.

No it is not. I've been thru the Envy dealer training and it isn't any easier than setting up a Lumagen. In fact a lot of the advanced features are easier to do on the Lumagen than the Envy and don't require the end user to go into the menus all the time to turn things on and off (direct remote access). This "it is easier" stuff is just marketing. First it was "just plug it in and turn it on", which is complete rubbish. You could say the exact same thing about the Lumagen since it is pretty well setup out of the box with most of the key features enabled. I guarantee I could setup a Lumagen in less time than it takes an Envy dealer to setup an Envy for its full feature set and the client would rarely if ever have to interact with the Lumagen after that point unless they want to do special things to the aspect ratio, which is all direct commands from the remote (something the Envy doesn't offer).
Kris, we´ve been through this in another forum and you know we won´t come to an agreement on this topic. I suggest we leave it as it is.
I totally understand you´re much more fluent on the Lumagen than the Envy since you have 10+ more years of experience with it.
Not familiar with the Envy but if I do go the VP route I’m leaning to the Lumagen.
Totally fine with that. I was just explaining our approach from our perspective. I still think the best would be to try out a VP (Lumagen in your case) in your own environment to see what´s possible.

Kris, we´ve been through this in another forum and you know we won´t come to an agreement on this topic. I suggest we leave it as it is.
I totally understand you´re much more fluent on the Lumagen than the Envy since you have 10+ more years of experience with it.

Totally fine with that. I was just explaining our approach from our perspective. I still think the best would be to try out a VP (Lumagen in your case) in your own environment to see what´s possible.
I am very fluent with the Lumagen, but I’ve demonstrated this for dealers as well if both products. Also, ease of setup has more to do with the dealer than the client. Both are customs install products. MadVR tries to capitalize on dealers that simply sound too lazy to learn the products they sell so look for the easy way out. The end users interaction is actually easier with a Lumagen than an Envy from everything I was shown by MadVR directly and ultimately it is the clients interaction that matters to me the most. And I’m happy to demonstrate this to anyone.

I am very fluent with the Lumagen, but I’ve demonstrated this for dealers as well if both products. Also, ease of setup has more to do with the dealer than the client. Both are customs install products. MadVR tries to capitalize on dealers that simply sound too lazy to learn the products they sell so look for the easy way out. The end users interaction is actually easier with a Lumagen than an Envy from everything I was shown by MadVR directly and ultimately it is the clients interaction that matters to me the most. And I’m happy to demonstrate this to anyone.
As feedback from a customer rather than a dealer, I haven’t touched the Madvr envy since it arrived and was installed and setup professionally last summer. So there has been a zero overhead for us.

You´re pretty aggressive on this topic as always, Kris, making bold statements. I think two dealers fighting over a product is of zero benefit for the interested user reading here, so i´ll bow out.

As feedback from a customer rather than a dealer, I haven’t touched the Madvr envy since it arrived and was installed and setup professionally last summer. So there has been a zero overhead for us.
Great to hear. Interaction with the products in general varies quite a bit depending on the theater they are used in and what features are being used. So miles will vary for both products depending on the theater.

You´re pretty aggressive on this topic as always, Kris, making bold statements. I think two dealers fighting over a product is of zero benefit for the interested user reading here, so i´ll bow out.
Just tired of hearing claims that just are not true about what each can do. Again, happy to demonstrate to anyone.

I have both MadVR Envy Pro and a Lumagen Radiance Pro set up and calibrated in my demo room with my JVC NZ8. I can switch output from my NZ8 on the fly. Both do a great job. If anyone is in the UK and wants to road test either I am more than happy to host.

My two cents: I just purchased a Radiance Pro 4242 for my JVC NZ8 from Kris Deering and I’m very happy with it. I actually did a comparison with and without it using some of the difficult HDR scenes in It Chapter 1 (including the basement scene), and it clearly improves the details in the darker areas of the scenes. But what I really appreciate the most are the aspect ratio features including the non-linear stretch and auto aspect detection. With all the various aspect ratios out in the wild, the LRP makes it easy to fit them all to my two screens (1..78 and 2.35) without the annoying black bars. I also looked at the MadVR products which I’m sure are pretty good, but they are more expensive (especially the new gen 2 products), and I prefer a slim 1U rack mountable unit over what is basically a large PC. Since video processors are clearly pretty complicated to do the initial setup, I really appreciated the great customer service from Kris Deering. He configured the unit based on my system, and then did a FaceTime video call with me to make sure everything was working right and to answer any of my questions. Now its super simple to use with only the remote, and I don’t need to go into the menu system for anything. Bottom line: the Lumagen Radiance Pro has really made a difference in my home theater system, and if you purchase this video processor I highly recommend you do so from Kris who can do the setup and help make it an easy to use device since it can a complicated beast to configure.

My Lumagen is a POS.

Chris is great to deal with but I have had nothing but issues. Talked to lumagen direct, tried many HDMI cables as recommended. Works one day, next day audio doesn’t work.

Works great for aspect ratio but it’s been way more aggravating then complimenting to my system.

Works one day, doesn’t work the next. Have to power off system. Redo the hdmi handshake and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Embarrassing at times. It’s always the audio. I never make changes to my JVC SDP-55.

Very simple, audio out, audio in and it fails.

Currently looking for a better solution.

My Lumagen is a POS.

Chris is great to deal with but I have had nothing but issues. Talked to lumagen direct, tried many HDMI cables as recommended. Works one day, next day audio doesn’t work.

Works great for aspect ratio but it’s been way more aggravating then complimenting to my system.

Works one day, doesn’t work the next. Have to power off system. Redo the hdmi handshake and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Embarrassing at times. It’s always the audio. I never make changes to my JVC SDP-55.

Are you someone I’ve worked with? Audio shouldn’t be an issue, there would have to be something else going on. Reach out to me and I’ll try and help.

Thanks for reaching out Kris. I bought from you, your service has been great. We got Jim involved. If there’s any way to remove audio from the equation I would be happy. Will send you an email.

My Lumagen is a POS.

I am sure Kris will get you sorted, but when we have experienced similar (not always with Lumagen's in the chain), it is often caused by a handshake issue like you have suggested. Normally this can be resolved by putting more delays into a macro (presuming you are using a control system), so that devices have enough time to be ready to report and receive EDIDs when turning on. In my experience (if you have not already tried it) would suggest that you may want to delay the lumagen coming on for longer to allow the SDP-55 more time to startup, as I expect it is not seeing the SDP-55 EDID properly.

I may be wrong here, but I doubt it's the Lumagen. Some processors are better than others at handshaking with VP's, and unfortunately the JBL is one of those that some owners have reported as having problems. To be fair, these problems can appear in any system, and in my experience the more HDMI connections in the equipment chain, the more potential for EDID problems.

Jim

My Crestron is set to trigger as follows:
Wake Kaleidespae On to Covers
Wait 15 Seconds
Turn Lumagen Power ON
Wait 15 Seconds
Tuen Trinnov On
Wait 30 Seconds
Turn Projector On

The idea is that before the projector turns on all the devices in the video and audio chain are up and running for the projector to see.

I have no issues on picture sync except for a occasional time when the covers on K don't are out of sync but when I change the source to say Apple TV and return back to Covers all is good BUT am curious to know if the above is the right order or should the Lumagen be turned on after the Trinnov?

I am sure Kris will get you sorted, but when we have experienced similar (not always with Lumagen's in the chain), it is often caused by a handshake issue like you have suggested. Normally this can be resolved by putting more delays into a macro (presuming you are using a control system), so that devices have enough time to be ready to report and receive EDIDs when turning on. In my experience (if you have not already tried it) would suggest that you may want to delay the lumagen coming on for longer to allow the SDP-55 more time to startup, as I expect it is not seeing the SDP-55 EDID properly.
I sent him an email. He was having issues with two HDMI 2.1 sources but not others back in September and then reported to me that he had resolved the issue with a different HDMI cable to the audio processor. The post yesterday was the first time since September he had ever said anything again, so I was under the assumption that he wasn't having any issues as he never said otherwise. The SDP has been known to have some issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if the HDMI 2.1 stuff is causing some issues (go look at forum posts for the AppleTV in its threads and the amount of people having issues). HDMI 2.1 has been a steady headache for a lot of people.

My Crestron is set to trigger as follows:
Wake Kaleidespae On to Covers
Wait 15 Seconds
Turn Lumagen Power ON
Wait 15 Seconds
Tuen Trinnov On
Wait 30 Seconds
Turn Projector On

The idea is that before the projector turns on all the devices in the video and audio chain are up and running for the projector to see.

I have no issues on picture sync except for a occasional time when the covers on K don't are out of sync but when I change the source to say Apple TV and return back to Covers all is good BUT am curious to know if the above is the right order or should the Lumagen be turned on after the Trinnov?
I have my Lumagen turn on before anything, an it turns on my Trinnov via a trigger output from the Lumagen to the Trinnov. Projector and K turn on around the same time. Haven't had any issues with this routine.

Back