• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

US BR & 4K Releases for March & April 2023

I think Kaleidescape could benefit by pointing that out in their banners and even on the info page for the movie, so people realize why the price is so high on these types - there's a reason Apple does it.
It is listed under premium rental for $19.95, I guess that's one way to tell

It is listed under premium rental for $19.95, I guess that's one way to tell
I guess so, if you're specifically looking for those titles. I'm thinking more along the lines of showing folks browsing, and not specifically looking for the most expensive rentals. For folks who are not aware the titles are still in theaters, etc. Even for those who are considering diving into Kaleidescape, to go to the movie store and look around and see the prices on the movies in the rotating banner, that could scare some folks away. Indicating 'premium rental' more obviously would reassure people thinking "expensive hardware, how much is a new release going to cost?".

I guess so, if you're specifically looking for those titles. I'm thinking more along the lines of showing folks browsing, and not specifically looking for the most expensive rentals. For folks who are not aware the titles are still in theaters, etc. Even for those who are considering diving into Kaleidescape, to go to the movie store and look around and see the prices on the movies in the rotating banner, that could scare some folks away. Indicating 'premium rental' more obviously would reassure people thinking "expensive hardware, how much is a new release going to cost?".
Maybe just an “In Theaters” category under the “Collections” tab?

Maybe just an “In Theaters” category under the “Collections” tab?
Honestly I don’t use the categories when I’m looking for something to watch. I go straight to the New Release row. I think it should be in the banner artwork on the site and/or on the info page. They obviously have a system to add titles to the different special pricing categories, it shouldn’t be a huge lift to display something based on that category, and it would be removed when the title ages out of that category.

it shouldn’t be a huge lift to display something based on that category, and it would be removed when the title ages out of that category.
Except something on the info page isn't likely to keep folks from getting scared off (they would just think the K-store is expensive and not bother clicking to possibly see why, unlike those of us already in the ecosystem,) and anything displayed on the poster is another artwork clearance to obtain.

I don’t think an identifier like “PRE-ORDER NOW” would be a big lift. There’s obviously a process in place.

F0BFCEF0-5F45-42FE-B9EF-EA711A40CC76.jpeg

And an asterisk with copy that reads “Premium Rental: Still in Theaters” is also, obviously, possible.

18CF7523-21E8-4131-877D-0266292ACB44.jpeg

But hey, maybe everyone is smarter than me. It’s probably impossible.

I got a feeling tommorow we will see Last Of Us on K Store :)
Nice ! Indeed it is now available on the US K Store as well

Added in HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1(French) from Sony

Nice ! Indeed it is now available on the US K Store as well
15 Hours of HDR ATMOS Content IMDB 9.2 for 35 Bucks - Now that's value

Added:

In UHD/HDR and HD with Dolby Atmos from Lionsgate

Premium Rental in UHD & HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 from MGM

In HD from NBCUniversal(TV)

Added in HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1(French & English) from Magnolia Pictures

Added in HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Paramount

On pre-order in UHD/HDR & HD from Universal

I don’t think an identifier like “PRE-ORDER NOW” would be a big lift. There’s obviously a process in place.
[...]
It’s probably impossible.
We actually used to put a special banner onto the movie covers that said something like "Premium Rental". I'm not sure why that changed. I will ask the team and pass along the feedback. I agree that it should be more obvious when a movie has special pricing, especially since premium-rental movies do not receive the partial credit of the rental fee towards purchase.

We actually used to put a special banner onto the movie covers that said something like "Premium Rental". I'm not sure why that changed. I will ask the team and pass along the feedback. I agree that it should be more obvious when a movie has special pricing, especially since premium-rental movies do not receive the partial credit of the rental fee towards purchase.
I think it’s a good idea for perspective. I also noticed this week that “A Good Person” has a Premium Rental banner.

My only other feed back would be “In Theaters” instead of “Premium Rental” to low-key indicate it will likely be less expensive over time.

Ah, you're right. There is a Premium Rental banner on that film. Okay. So it's the premium purchase titles in this case (what the industry calls P-EST for premium electronic sell-through). I'm not certain that P-EST titles are always still in theaters, so that may not be the best descriptor all of the time (although if it's true I think it's a great thing to highlight).

Ah, you're right. There is a Premium Rental banner on that film. Okay. So it's the premium purchase titles in this case (what the industry calls P-EST for premium electronic sell-through). I'm not certain that P-EST titles are always still in theaters, so that may not be the best descriptor all of the time (although if it's true I think it's a great thing to highlight).
Yeah, seems like there’s a better term to use, or a few different terms dependent on situation. I’d create indicators that sound more like advantages to the user. “Premium Rental” just kinda sounds like “We’re charging more for this one” vs “In Theaters” which means “Early Access” or “First Access”.

TV Added
Paul T. Goldman (Season 1) (2023) in HD from Lionsgate

The 12th Victim (2023) in HD from Showtime

Added in UHD/HDR with Dolby TrueHD Atmos from Marvel Studios

Reactions: HCS
Added in HDR/UHD with Dolby TrueHD Atmos from NBCUniversal

Back