• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The store has Disney, Marvel and Pixar!!!!

Well, this tells me to wait until the July software update to see if Disney Movie Club is integrated to allow Bluray quality downloads. If so, great- I own a ton of movies with the DMC codes. If not, then I will simply buy a single vault to store blurays I cannot do disk-to-digital or otherwise download previous titles I already own. And then from here forward, I will buy bluray quality downloads through the store for Disney titles. Because for any frustrations I may have, its still the best way to enjoy movies.

I honestly cannot see how the Disney Movie Club will not be integrated properly allowing for bluray quality downloads of existing titles we own, as it is integrated with other products allowing for the same functionality.

Given the focus on UV at K, they have to be well aware of DMA. Not having it has to mean something. I wish they had some direct rep here who could make a statement about it. At a minimum to provide some assurance that it's being worked on. Disney is going wider with DMA given iTunes, VUDU, and google play all supporting it. It's not like it went exclusive to Apple or anything.

It's still really disappointing. I had hoped K was on a trajectory after new studios last year and the Alto that would lead me to buying in. The long time it took just to get this is off putting. They need to move faster on content, hardware, and pricing if they want to hit a wider user base.

Also do a search for vidity. A UHD digital download platform was announced today for managed download high quality content coming for UHD. K was named in the press along with VUDU and others as being on board.

It's no secret that K is developing a UHD capable Player, and obviously at this point it would be aimed at the UHD downloadable content that is now coming into view.

Jim

Hello Jesse,

Yes. When, I don't know. It is not yet scheduled, but we are dependent on Disney for this to happen. We're working together on this.

Cheena

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Jesse Pravecek <jesse@whereismyit.com> wrote:
Hello Cheena and Kaleidescape Team,

This is great news! Thank you for adding these great studios. Will we see Disc to Digital and Disney Movies Anywhere integration with these studios in the future? I hope so!!

Thanks
Jesse

----------------------------------
Re: A Letter from the CEO Regarding Disney

Jim, the only thing I'd add is "you can't argue with emotion."

In this case, I have to think Premier customers represent a MUCH larger percentage of total customers than Alto. And releasing Disney a couple months earlier to Alto-only customers was BOUND to make Premier customers feel a LOT left-out, even knowing "it's coming."

So having those movies a couple months earlier for Alto just to boost Alto sales a little during that time really better be worth pissing off your core customer base some, because it bothers me quite a bit. You can argue whether it should bother me if you want, but the fact is that it does.

They could have gotten most of the same effect by simply announcing Disney is coming and then launching on all platforms at the same time, IMHO. I know that's not their style, but up until now it's never been their style to release on only part of their platforms, either. This is a significant change, I think, and I don't like it one bit.

--Donnie

If that annoys you, being told that you can't get didn't films till July being a Premier owner. Imagine being outside the U.S. where the store is as good as a bargain bin at the checkout. Or even in a country where no store exists. And keep being told it will get better.

Dear Cheena and Kaleidescape Team !

This are great news and thank you for adding Disney to the Store..

Roland

There are a few assumptions in recent posts, and the arguments have more merit if those assumptions (mostly about K's decision-making) are correct, but they are not. Only by knowing all the details (not likely given most of this is business contract negotiations), can we comment about K's actions and motivations. I get the frustration, but this is just a movie studio, no one is lining us up to take our heads......

Jim

Jim

I agree with you and honestly only thing looking forward to is, disc to digital option. I will be buying movies, that I currently don't have.

Cheers

Raj

The Vidity announcement is very interesting. Seems very much like the K Store/Alto model. How might Kaleidescape differentiate itself in what will surely be a more competitive marketplace for its (current) USP? What implications for pricing?

K-scape is listed as a Vidity Partner: https://www.vidity.com/about-us/

I see Vidity as kind if like Ultra-Violet but for downloads specifically and inclusive of 4k. The division of UV/DMA/Vidity is sure to be more annoying.

I'd speculate that at some point we're likely to see a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray like collapse of some of these digital licensing services.

I would not be too concerned about Disney digital rights. Disney pairs with Vudu and Vudu partners with Ultra Violet. It is a short trip for your purchased content to show up in your server.

I believe their concern is that someone "could" use a Blu Ray or DVD that they did not own and buy just the upgrade. I will admit they are being ridiculous based on the relatively small number of legacy Kaliedescape owners but I am sure they do not want to open Pandora's Box.

I would not be too concerned about Disney digital rights. Disney pairs with Vudu and Vudu partners with Ultra Violet. It is a short trip for your purchased content to show up in your server.

I believe their concern is that someone "could" use a Blu Ray or DVD that they did not own and buy just the upgrade. I will admit they are being ridiculous based on the relatively small number of legacy Kaliedescape owners but I am sure they do not want to open Pandora's Box.

Vudu has a DMA integration, buying a Disney Movie on Vudu doesn't necessarily give you the UV rights to it as I understand, it does however give you DMA rights to it. Also Disney is different than UV, where UV is set up to have you sign into your UV account from whatever service you are connecting. Disney takes the opposite approach, they have you go to their site and sign in to the service from their end. Basically Disney is making sure they maintain a strong hold on ownership of the customer.

Vudu has a DMA integration, buying a Disney Movie on Vudu doesn't necessarily give you the UV rights to it as I understand, it does however give you DMA rights to it. Also Disney is different than UV, where UV is set up to have you sign into your UV account from whatever service you are connecting. Disney takes the opposite approach, they have you go to their site and sign in to the service from their end. Basically Disney is making sure they maintain a strong hold on ownership of the customer.

Also with DMA you can only pick one provider. If you then switch providers in the future, it only applies to future purchases (the old movies stay with the initial provider).

Disney obviously is a lot more strict about their Digital rights than other movie studios.

It going to be interesting how this works out. I am hoping we at least get some form of disc-to-digital. Does anyone know whether Vudu does disc-to-digital on Disney movies?

John

but this is just a movie studio, no one is lining us up to take our heads......

Perhaps, but I won't be following any fine furried friends down any rabbit-holes until after seeing the T&C at the end of July. Just in case that flag is a Queen's standard.

Also with DMA you can only pick one provider. If you then switch providers in the future, it only applies to future purchases (the old movies stay with the initial provider).

Disney obviously is a lot more strict about their Digital rights than other movie studios.

It going to be interesting how this works out. I am hoping we at least get some form of disc-to-digital. Does anyone know whether Vudu does disc-to-digital on Disney movies?

John

That's not how DMA works. DMA works exactly the same way that UV does. If you buy/redeem a movie at a provider that supports DMA/UV then the movie is available to you at all available providers that are linked to your DMA/UV account.

That's not how DMA works. DMA works exactly the same way that UV does. If you buy/redeem a movie at a provider that supports DMA/UV then the movie is available to you at all available providers that are linked to your DMA/UV account.

Here is exactly what it says on my DMA account:

"Connect Accounts

When you connect your Disney Movies Anywhere account with a participating provider, your eligible movies will be shared between all your connected accounts. You may only connect one account per provider at a time.
iTunes
Google Play
VUDU

About Disconnecting

You may disconnect your provider account(s) from Disney Movies Anywhere at any time. Here are some things you should know about disconnecting:
Waiting Period: You may only switch accounts with the same provider once every 180 days.

Your Existing Movies: When you disconnect a provider account, your existing movies will still be available within that disconnected account and in your Disney Movies Anywhere Collection.

Your Future Movies: After disconnecting, any future movies you add will only be available from the service in which you acquire them. That means, a movie acquired through a disconnected provider account will only be available in that provider and will not be available in Disney Movies Anywhere."

All the bold editing is mine. I have both a Vudu account and iTunes account. Any Disney movies purchased through Vudu do not show up in my iTunes account. I haven't tried changing between Vudu and iTunes due to the warnings that Disney provides (that I have quoted above).

If I am missing something, please let me know as I would very much like movies to show up in more than one place.

John

If I am missing something, please let me know as I would very much like movies to show up in more than one place.

The "one account per provider" is specifically referring to each provider. For example, you can only have one iTunes account connected, one Vudu account, etc.

If you go to www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/setting/account/sync-account, you'll be able to connect your iTunes account, in addition to your Vudu account that's already connected. Then all of the movies that you have with DMA will be synced there and will still be synced with Vudu.

The movies should show up in any of Google Play, Vudu and iTunes via Disney AnyWhere service to the extent you have linked any of those accounts with your Disney account. The attached screenshot is what I see.

The restriction seems to be switching which account at one of the 3 providers you are pointing to with a time window, not that you have to choose between one and only one of the three.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 10.17.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 10.17.50 PM.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 17
Jim, the only thing I'd add is "you can't argue with emotion."

In this case, I have to think Premier customers represent a MUCH larger percentage of total customers than Alto. And releasing Disney a couple months earlier to Alto-only customers was BOUND to make Premier customers feel a LOT left-out, even knowing "it's coming."

So having those movies a couple months earlier for Alto just to boost Alto sales a little during that time really better be worth pissing off your core customer base some, because it bothers me quite a bit. You can argue whether it should bother me if you want, but the fact is that it does.

They could have gotten most of the same effect by simply announcing Disney is coming and then launching on all platforms at the same time, IMHO. I know that's not their style, but up until now it's never been their style to release on only part of their platforms, either. This is a significant change, I think, and I don't like it one bit.

--Donnie

Full Agreement.

The movies should show up in any of Google Play, Vudu and iTunes via Disney AnyWhere service to the extent you have linked any of those accounts with your Disney account. The attached screenshot is what I see.

The restriction seems to be switching which account at one of the 3 providers you are pointing to with a time window, not that you have to choose between one and only one of the three.

I see! I now understand how I mis-read this on my DMA account. Thanks everyone for helping me out on this. Very much appreciated!

John

Back