• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

"The Abyss" in 4K

If you pull up the title in your my-kaleidescape.local interface it also shows 171 minutes for the HDR download. I haven't watched yet, so I don't know, but I'm betting it's a typo in the movie details on the file itself.
Okay, I checked with the movie guide team. 2:51 is the running time for the (HD) extended edition that is included with purchase, but the guide has been updated to reflect the running time of the 4K primary feature. The store should show 2:20 already, and the onscreen display will show that time once the next guide update is downloaded and processed.

For those who already purchased Aliens, how does the HDR compare to the UHD and/or HD version?

I think somebody said HD cut better like the Bourne movies but may not be related to this weeks release, just in general….

My question re: UHD is related to being able to run the SDR HD version with a 3D LUT attached using a MadVR MK2. So for some of these where UHD might be better than HDR (I think someone mentioned Goodfellas), might have a few more options available (albeit I suspect these instances to be few and far between)…

That is because the HD version contains two versions of the movie and all of the extras. As far as I can tell, K doesn’t do seamless branching thus the huge download size.
What extras? The disc is supposed to have a ton but they aren't listed as being present in the download.

I didn’t buy the Abyss yet. I bought True Lies yesterday. The supplements/extras are on a separate download file. You need to initiate downloading the HD version first. You will see under downloads queue, automatically, there will be one file for the HD version of the film and another for the supplements. Quickly cancel the HD version of the film download if you only want the supplements. This way you can have the film in 4K HDR and supplements in HD. I am not sure if the Abyss is also two separate downloads for the film and the supplements. I will let you know here when I buy it.

You know what, I went ahead and bought it for the sake of science :)

As predicted, the extras are on a separate download file. You can cancel any of these files you don’t care for before the downloads are complete.

IMG_0499.jpeg

You know what, I went ahead and bought it for the sake of science :)

As predicted, the extras are on a separate download file. You can cancel any of these files you don’t care for before the downloads are complete.

View attachment 4289

Just purchased Aliens in HDR. I can confirm the HDR version is the theatrical cut only. The HD version includes both theatrical and special edition cuts. The HD version is a single download file. It doesn’t include any extras.

Watching it now. So far, it's quite crisp, and not too dark, so far. Only about 10 minutes in though

Watching it now. So far, it's quite crisp, and not too dark, so far. Only about 10 minutes in though
The Abyss looks good. Aliens look a bit weird. Too much sharpening and digital video noise reduction?? I don’t know if I am too tired today. Some bright fast scenes seem to me to have soap opera effect/ghosting. I will give it a try again later.

Agreed, it's pretty much just the final scene where the details of the model are too obvious, but not terribly disturbing. I hadn't seen the movie in ages, so can't quite compare to the DVD (I'd have to put that in my Alto or Oppo and watch some scenes again, I suppose)

Just finished watching the UHD version (it looks better than the HDR version on my projector) and thought the video quality was fantastic (other than the end scene which has already been pointed out here).

There are a lot of dark scenes, and in many movies, dark scenes means it is difficult to see and follow what’s going on. Maybe it is that I watched this movie as a kid, but I never felt like the dark scenes here caused be to miss any details. I enjoyed it a lot.

The one confusing thing I have with the K download is that it lists the running time at 2 hr 51 min (on the details page), but after downloading the HDR, UHD, and HD versions and attempting playback of each multiple times, they all are reporting at 2 hr 21 min. Not sure where 2 hr 51 min comes into play, but I certainly can’t find an extended version of the movie anywhere.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished watching the UHD version (it looks better than the HDR version on my projector) and thought the video quality was fantastic (other than the end scene which has already been pointed out here).

There are a lot of dark scenes, and in many movies, dark scenes means it is difficult to see and follow what’s going on. Maybe it is that I watched this movie as a kid, but I never felt like the dark scenes here caused be to miss any details. I enjoyed it a lot.

The one confusing thing I have with the K download is that it lists the running time at 2 hr 51 min (on the details page), but after downloading the HDR, UHD, and HD versions and attempting playback of each multiple times, they all are reporting at 2 hr 21 min. Not sure where 2 hr 51 min comes into play, but I certainly can’t find an extended version of the movie anywhere.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s about 342 threads on this round of Cameron releases and this has been discussed in one of them, it’s the run time of the special edition from the HD version mistakenly added into the file data and should be fixed next time your system redownloads the permissions log data file thingy.

Back