• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

"The Abyss" in 4K

Avatar is now only available for rent and Way of Water is Pre-order. Looks like we may be getting updates for these two soon.
Where are you seeing this? If I log off and go to the K store Avatar says it is $14.99 to buy and Avatar 2 is $24.99. I'm not seeing pre-order or rental only??

Where are you seeing this? If I log off and go to the K store Avatar says it is $14.99 to buy and Avatar 2 is $24.99. I'm not seeing pre-order or rental only??
I saw it earlier this morning, but it changed back this afternoon. The pre-order price for Way of Water was $29.99 and Avatar was only available to rent for $7.95.

I hadn't kept up on my "The Abyss" trivia, but apparently some of the actors never want to talk about the movie again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 10.51.57 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 10.51.57 AM.png
    656.1 KB · Views: 44
Just watched it in the theater. It was incredible. Super35 looked pretty good in 4K. I was expecting the image to be a little more softer. I couldn’t tell if they used any edge enhancement but some shots were suspects. The 2K master from 1996 had digital video noise reduction which was typical for all THX masters. I didn’t see any smearing or any other artifacts.

I think this is the best this film ever looked. If they had enhanced it somehow, I couldn’t see any distracting artifacts. If you are familiar with how Super35 looks, you won’t be disappointed with this new remaster.

The soundtrack was identical or very similar to how I remember the Dolby Stereo mix from 1996. It was already pretty good. I have no complaints they didn’t change a lot.

IMG_4075.jpeg

I saw it last night at Dolby Cinema as well. Pretty much echo these statements. There was a VERY mild amount of DNR in some scenes, but not enough to distract. Thankfully no obvious sharpening like I see with Titanic either (at least for the theatrical), so that is a good sign as well.

OMG what a revelation on the big screen! A super pristine print, excellent color timing, with very few flaws. A few effects shots at the end looked very cheesy. There was one wide shot with a heavy amount of grain, DNR, and poor resolution. It was the wide shot of the NTI craft with the naval and Bentic ships on top. They should have redone the shot or omitted it. Looked like 240p through cheesecloth.

OMG what a revelation on the big screen! A super pristine print, excellent color timing, with very few flaws. A few effects shots at the end looked very cheesy. There was one wide shot with a heavy amount of grain, DNR, and poor resolution. It was the wide shot of the NTI craft with the naval and Bentic ships on top. They should have redone the shot or omitted it. Looked like 240p through cheesecloth.

This one? I noticed it too and grabbed a pic (purely for science, don’t tell anyone ;)

This is clearly a practical effect with very well detailed models. They probably used a different smaller camera for the angle in the set, maybe 16mm?

IMG_4078.jpeg

This one? I noticed it too and grabbed a pic (purely for science, don’t tell anyone ;)

This is clearly a practical effect with very well detailed models. They probably used a different smaller camera for the angle in the set, maybe 16mm?

View attachment 4267
Yes!

Sort of pulled me out of the movie. It looked like total crap. My thought was to either re render it or cut it out.

Did you see the part where the guy got pantsed?

The Abyss is in 4K now! A bit confused, trying to figure out how to watch the longer extended special edition in 4K.

True Lies and Aliens are on Kaleidescape in 4k.

Collector's Editions of Avatar and Avatar 2 in 4k as well.

The Abyss is in 4K now! A bit confused, trying to figure out how to watch the longer extended special edition in 4K.

True Lies and Aliens are on Kaleidescape in 4k.

Collector's Editions of Avatar and Avatar 2 in 4k as well.
Indeed it is confusing. No upgrade discounts for Avatar 1 and 2. Their run times are identical to the standard editions. They just have more extras. So we pay another $29.99 per each Avatar for more extras?

The Abyss is listed as 142 minutes so it is the theatrical version. The special edition cut is 171 minutes. The SE is listed in the extras in HD. So we get the special edition in HD only?

Indeed it is confusing. No upgrade discounts for Avatar 1 and 2. Their run times are identical to the standard editions. They just have more extras. So we pay another $29.99 per each Avatar for more extras?

The Abyss is listed as 142 minutes so it is the theatrical version. The special edition cut is 171 minutes. The SE is listed in the extras in HD. So we get the special edition in HD only?
Aliens is only the theatrical version in 4k, this seems to be the same at Vudu etc.

The Abyss 4k also only seems to be the theatrical version everywhere, Vudu etc. although the KScape version is missing Atmos, I assume this will be updated to Atmos soon hopefully.

Just checked and saw them up. May be one of the few times I pull the trigger on 20th century updated D2D Disney price gouging for Aliens and Abyss…..

Likely a delay on Atmos from the studio. This happens. In fact, the week before Titanic was released it didn't look like Paramount was going to provide an Atmos track for it but K got it in time for the release. So likely something we'll see added.

Likely a delay on Atmos from the studio. This happens. In fact, the week before Titanic was released it didn't look like Paramount was going to provide an Atmos track for it but K got it in time for the release. So likely something we'll see added.
Hoping so. I saw this in a great Atmos theater last week. The picture and sound were great overall. Maybe K will give us the Atmos version soon.

This is disappointing. The 4K discs being released will have theatrical and extended editions both remastered and in 4K. Why are we only getting the theatrical editions in 4K. Doesn't seam fair. We keep being short changed for being K customers.

What other digital providers got both Theatrical and Extended versions??

Jim

Back