• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

"The Abyss" in 4K

For those that are excited about these releases I would temper your expectations. I can say that Aliens does not look nearly as good as the previous HD version (grain scrubbed and enhanced) and True Lies is about the same. The Abyss is the best looking of the bunch by far (IMHO), but even it has been grain reduced and a bit sharpened. Obviously there is no previous True Lies and Abyss to fall back on so you get what you get, but at least from what I've looked at so far (going back and forth), I'd take the previous HD version of Aliens over the new 4K for picture quality all day long. I'm fine with what I've seen from The Abyss so far (I also went to the recent Dolby Cinema showing), so not that worried about that one. True Lies looks very processed though and scrubbed. Shame.

For those that are excited about these releases I would temper your expectations. I can say that Aliens does not look nearly as good as the previous HD version (grain scrubbed and enhanced) and True Lies is about the same. The Abyss is the best looking of the bunch by far (IMHO), but even it has been grain reduced and a bit sharpened. Obviously there is no previous True Lies and Abyss to fall back on so you get what you get, but at least from what I've looked at so far (going back and forth), I'd take the previous HD version of Aliens over the new 4K for picture quality all day long. I'm fine with what I've seen from The Abyss so far (I also went to the recent Dolby Cinema showing), so not that worried about that one. True Lies looks very processed though and scrubbed. Shame.
Thanks for reporting your findings. I always thought the Blu-Ray of Aliens looked phenomenal, and I love the very gritty, grainy look for that film which suits it well. I suspected and feared the 4K version would lose those characteristics, and it sounds like it sadly has.

I tend to like more Sharpness and less grain. So I'm good with it.

I wonder if the HD versions Abyss and True Lies is just as bad, probably so if it's based on the same master.

Thanks for reporting on the video quality of the transfers. I bought The Abyss and True Lies this morning. For The Abyss I'll only watch the extended cut, so I guess I'll have to watch in HD. I'll be curious to see how the HD compares to the 4K version ( I assume the HD is the remastered version, since both versions will be released in 4K on disc).

I bought the Abyss and True Lies as well this morning. I want to pick up Last American Hero as well, but would love to hear your guys thoughts on that one before I do.

This is disappointing. The 4K discs being released will have theatrical and extended editions both remastered and in 4K. Why are we only getting the theatrical editions in 4K. Doesn't seam fair. We keep being short changed for being K customers.
"The Exorcist" is also only available in the Theatrical Cut on K. (Don't know about other online stores). So.... if this holds true with "Aliens" and "The Abyss," I may have to buy the discs and hold off on KStore because I'm never watching the Theatrical cuts. (I'm not upgrading "Exorcist" to 4K either at K because I have no use for the Theatrical Cut. Fingers crossed this changes down the road.)

"The Exorcist" is also only available in the Theatrical Cut on K. (Don't know about other online stores). So.... if this holds true with "Aliens" and "The Abyss," I may have to buy the discs and hold off on KStore because I'm never watching the Theatrical cuts. (I'm not upgrading "Exorcist" to 4K either at K because I have no use for the Theatrical Cut. Fingers crossed this changes down the road.)
From The Digital Bits:
For those wondering what’s happening with today’s 4K Digital drop of THE ABYSS, TRUE LIES, and ALIENS, it looks like the various digital retailers are struggling to add all of the films and their special features content. But they’re slowly appearing most everywhere, including Apple, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Amazon Prime, etc. So far, the Special Edition versions of ABYSS and ALIENS are appearing among the special features and only in HD. We’ve asked Disney if they’re going to be upgraded to 4K with HDR too, and the studio is checking. Just FYI.”

📸 Look at this post on Facebook

I downloaded the 4K HDR and HD extended cut versions of The Abyss and compared some scenes last night. The HD version does not look bad, but it's missing that extra pop the 4K HDR version has in the highlights and blacks. I hope we get an 4K upgrade to the extended cut soon.

We should also consider that what we see on the screen is to some extent a product of our equipment, so there may be some differences in what owners report.

Jim

@MikeKobb

So the store has The Abyss listed as 2h20min

When starting the movie, it shows up as 2h21 min (Screenshot - bottom right), but in 2nd Screen, in the movie details, it says it's 2h51min (Screenshot - top).

Are there multiple versions (2h51 vs 2h20/21) ?

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 15.03.03.png

@MikeKobb

So the store has The Abyss listed as 2h20min

When starting the movie, it shows up as 2h21 min (Screenshot - bottom right), but in 2nd Screen, in the movie details, it says it's 2h51min (Screenshot - top).

Are there multiple versions (2h51 vs 2h20/21) ?

View attachment 4287
If you pull up the title in your my-kaleidescape.local interface it also shows 171 minutes for the HDR download. I haven't watched yet, so I don't know, but I'm betting it's a typo in the movie details on the file itself.

If you pull up the title in your my-kaleidescape.local interface it also shows 171 minutes for the HDR download. I haven't watched yet, so I don't know, but I'm betting it's a typo in the movie details on the file itself.
The download size for the HD version is also huge (113GB vs 75GB for the 4K HDR version). So it could be that the HD version is indeed longer

The download size for the HD version is also huge (113GB vs 75GB for the 4K HDR version). So it could be that the HD version is indeed longer
That is because the HD version contains two versions of the movie and all of the extras. As far as I can tell, K doesn’t do seamless branching thus the huge download size.

Back