• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Store Pricing Feedback & Debate

I’ll upgrade anything and everything at $5. All day, every day.

Been sitting on a couple of Star Trek HDR upgrade offers at $14.99, but at $4.99 it’s a no-brainer. Done.

I agree with this. Kris and I were chatting today, and I had two primary concept ideas that would remove any pricing FUD with K from my mind.

1. K should command up to a maximum of a $5 premium over similar titles on iTunes.
2. 4k updates from HD quality should cost $5 as well (versus being $0 on iTunes).

Basically, in both cases just be +$5 over iTunes across the board. In this case, I wouldn't think twice about buying anything I want to see or own on K regardless if it is already 4k or not, and I too would upgrade every single title in my offers list as they appear.

Of course, keep the regular weekly sales and discounting down too.

Two new Warner Brothers releases today, Poltergeist and The Lost Boys, D2D on this is higher than I expected $21.15 especially for WB.

I’ll upgrade anything and everything at $5. All day, every day.

Been sitting on a couple of Star Trek HDR upgrade offers at $14.99, but at $4.99 it’s a no-brainer. Done.
Same here. $5 upgrade pricing is absolutely no brainer. I will click buy every time without so much as a pause.

I used to work at Tower Records (remember those?) Almost every sale we ever had was determined by the record labels, not Tower. Tower almost never had its own sales. It was generated by the record labels, which set the price of the sale, provided the store with additional copies to accommodate anticipated increased sales, and subsidized Tower for the lower price.

I personally do not expect a discount on an upgrade. As many others pointed out, when I upgraded my VHS to DVD to blu-ray to 4K blu-ray - I never received credit from any store for that. (Looking at you Man With No Name, Some Like It Hot, Godfather, Star Wars, etc.) I never expected to. Obviously a bigger discount is always desirable, but it is almost unprecedented. I'm grateful K offers it.

And I'm not sure why people are so upset about the inconsistency in pricing. I just take it as is. So this item is Price A and that is Price B. Just doesn't strike me personally as anything very egregious.

I emailed K yesterday about the high D2D pricing for Poltergeist and The Lost Boys, I haven't heard back but I hope they fix this like they did for the Paramount discs last week.

I think Kris might have more pull than me on this, guess we will see :)

This is disappointing, still no reply from K about the high D2D pricing for Poltergeist and The Lost Boys I sent to support on 9/22.

I make a point to not buy SD or HD quality videos because I know that I am not guaranteed for a free upgrade or a discounted upgrade. I also make a point to not spend more than $10 for a movie or $15 for a TV show. I let my dollar speak for me. That way the studios will know how much the customers are willing to pay even for the high-end K customers. If we continue to buy movies for $35-40 a piece, we are making a statement that it is acceptable.

There are some exceptions like Top Gun that I couldn’t wait. Also if K offers exclusive purchases like the Marvel and Star Wars TV shows, I won’t hesitate to pay $25-30 for the TV show.

I make a point to not buy SD or HD quality videos because I know that I am not guaranteed for a free upgrade or a discounted upgrade. I also make a point to not spend more than $10 for a movie or $15 for a TV show. I let my dollar speak for me. That way the studios will know how much the customers are willing to pay even for the high-end K customers. If we continue to buy movies for $35-40 a piece, we are making a statement that it is acceptable.

There are some exceptions like Top Gun that I couldn’t wait. Also if K offers exclusive purchases like the Marvel and Star Wars TV shows, I won’t hesitate to pay $25-30 for the TV show.
This is the right approach

Unfortunately, the studios don't care that some buyers won't buy above a certain price. Movies and Music are in a different class than other products. If you don't want to spend $5,000 for a 85" TV there are alternatives, and the TV manufacturer's know this and price accordingly, that's what competition does in the marketplace. Where's the alternative to a $30 "Top Gun?" You don't have the ability to say "I don't like X Studio's price for Top Gun, so I'll buy it from Z Studio instead." If you don't like the price of a movie, don't buy it, but understand that no one at the studios is sitting at their desk thinking they should lower the price of a movie because they read a comment somewhere that some potential buyers are not buying because a movie is priced too high. They already know that's the case.

That's not to say they don't factor expected demand into pricing, they obviously do, otherwise we'd be paying $100 for Top Gun, but they price movies knowing that some folks will not be buying at that level.

Jim

I just wish there was a bit more pricing commonality between studios. $40 from one studio for a movie vs $25 from another. Maybe I’m dreaming…. :unsure:

Unfortunately, the studios don't care that some buyers won't buy above a certain price. Movies and Music are in a different class than other products. If you don't want to spend $5,000 for a 85" TV there are alternatives, and the TV manufacturer's know this and price accordingly, that's what competition does in the marketplace. Where's the alternative to a $30 "Top Gun?" You don't have the ability to say "I don't like X Studio's price for Top Gun, so I'll buy it from Z Studio instead." If you don't like the price of a movie, don't buy it, but understand that no one at the studios is sitting at their desk thinking they should lower the price of a movie because they read a comment somewhere that some potential buyers are not buying because a movie is priced too high. They already know that's the case.

That's not to say they don't factor expected demand into pricing, they obviously do, otherwise we'd be paying $100 for Top Gun, but they price movies knowing that some folks will not be buying at that level.

Jim
I get your point, but the fact is there is an alternative to overpaying to own a K movie. It’s called Streaming. If prices are too high to purchase a movie for my collection at this time, but I really want to see it now I might sacrifice some marginal quality to stream it for “free.” When pricing is reasonable I’ll buy it.

Back