• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Store "Hole" Feedback

Here are some requests for movies not currently available in the store.

The Fog (1980)
Hellfighters (John Wayne)
The African Queen (Bogart)
The Godfather, Part III ( Godfather Coda is in the store but that is a significantly re-edited version. I cataloged Godfather III)
Young Frankenstein
True Lies
Vanishing Point
The Wild One
The Abyss
K-19 The Widowmaker
Seven Years in Tibet
Stargate (1994)
Stagecoach (1939)
Sabotage (1936)
Silent Movie
The Cannonball Run
The Big Country
To Live and Die in LA
Star Trek: The Original Series (Season 1-3)

Everyone wants The Abyss and True Lies. They are sadly totally unavailable. They've never been released on Blu-ray Disc, even (at least in the USA). There were persistent rumors for years of a Blu-ray release, and then those rumors changed to a 4K release, but nothing to date. Fingers crossed! Abyss is one of my personal favorites.

I know for a fact that we used to have Stargate (it's on my system right now), so I'm not sure what's up with that title. I could've sworn I had seen a couple of the others before as well. Sometimes there are licensor changes that result in our having to remove a movie temporarily, but we are able to offer it again later. Hopefully that will be the case.

I’d love to see an HD version of Bad Education (2004) from Sony Classics. There is not a U.S. Blu-ray, however Apple, Vudu, Microsoft and Google appear to have HD versions in their digital movie stores. (Apple’s might be censored, I’m not sure.)

Here’s another request:

Another F1 fan?

Jim
(That's my only other hobby, Ferrari's and F1. Ferrari is off to a great start to the season, and just missed Pole in this weekends race, but at least their 2 & 3. I was a big Senna fan when he was at McLaren, it was a shocking loss.)

Everyone wants The Abyss and True Lies. They are sadly totally unavailable. They've never been released on Blu-ray Disc, even (at least in the USA). There were persistent rumors for years of a Blu-ray release, and then those rumors changed to a 4K release, but nothing to date.
This should be stickied at the top of the K Store sub forum:

Another F1 fan?

Jim
(That's my only other hobby, Ferrari's and F1. Ferrari is off to a great start to the season, and just missed Pole in this weekends race, but at least their 2 & 3. I was a big Senna fan when he was at McLaren, it was a shocking loss.)
I’m working on it! My brother is a big fan and got me to watch the final race last year. I enjoyed it… so, trying to learn!

I agree about True Lies and the Abyss. Tho, I beginning to doubt we’ll ever see True Lies…that movie carries some social baggage that might make it impossible to market. I think I read James C. Make a comment about that somewhere…

i posted it before in another thread but i want to see "Dead Alive" by Peter Jackson on the store in the nearby future.

Would love to see any of the following added. Some of my favorite movies that aren't in the store:

All the Right Moves
Apocalypto
The 'Burbs
Cabin Boy
French Kiss
Highlander
Lion in Winter
Lucas
Sweet Virginia
Swing Kids
Untamed Heart

Everyone wants The Abyss and True Lies. They are sadly totally unavailable. They've never been released on Blu-ray Disc, even (at least in the USA). There were persistent rumors for years of a Blu-ray release, and then those rumors changed to a 4K release, but nothing to date. Fingers crossed! Abyss is one of my personal favorites.

I know for a fact that we used to have Stargate (it's on my system right now), so I'm not sure what's up with that title. I could've sworn I had seen a couple of the others before as well. Sometimes there are licensor changes that result in our having to remove a movie temporarily, but we are able to offer it again later. Hopefully that will be the case.
True Lies has been released on D-Theater in 12/2003 from Fox in 1080i and DTS 5.1. One of the very few reasons why I still keep my D-Theater machine:)

On the case of the Abyss, there is not even an anamorphic widescreen version in SD DVD. All releases are letterboxed.

This was a common practice for THX certified DVDs, they were ported from the masters made for Laserdiscs a few years earlier. The Abyss was the first THX certified title released in home video (on Laserdisc). State of the art for its time but very mediocre today.

I prefer the Laserdisc version over the current DVD releases because the soundtrack blows the DVD out of the water. Hopefully the upcoming 4K release will keep the theatrical soundtrack and avoid the very common near field remastering process.

Back