• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Store "Hole" Feedback

Since @TrackZ started this thread, K have added/upgraded many titles, hope this continues especially for concerts.
Memento used to be in the Store as I own it. Guess it's a licensing issue, as per Blu-Ray.com both Memento and Apocalypto rights are today with "Samuel Goldwyn Films".

"Panic Room" I may be wrong but as far as I know has never been released on BD, there was a 4K release planned but it has been(indefinitely?) postponed.
"True Lies"(and Abyss) we are all waiting for both to be released.

I encourage folks to keep finding holes and posting them here. (y)

Is there an up-to-date list that's easy to find? I don't want to report something that someone else already reported.

@JohnJ re post #15

Added by 1091 Media:

Nice to see another one added! I have edited post #15.

John

Expanding on what @telem said regarding Momento; what I think would be good (assuming they can for legal reasons) is for K to highlight when something is about to leave the store... I know for one that is 99% likely going to force my hand to buy it. I have Santa Claus the movie which disappeared for purchase which is my inner child guilty pleasure but I am sure there are others (Momento included) that I'm peeved I seemingly "missed out" on...

Expanding on what @telem said regarding Momento; what I think would be good (assuming they can for legal reasons) is for K to highlight when something is about to leave the store... I know for one that is 99% likely going to force my hand to buy it. I have Santa Claus the movie which disappeared for purchase which is my inner child guilty pleasure but I am sure there are others (Momento included) that I'm peeved I seemingly "missed out" on...
Echo this. I usually buy immediately when a movie shows up and want it (then regret doing so when the sales come up :)) but it would be really useful to have a list with movies leaving the K store.
To which "Santa Claus - The Movie" are you referring to? The one with Dudley Moore is available.

I've been going through a lot of titles that I own here because I purchased an Alto and have been looking at D2D. Some others that came up are Ghost in the Shell (original anime, not the 2.0 atrocity) and Innocence Ghost in the Shell 2. I know that Lionsgate announced a new 4K release for GITS, so hopefully that will come out. Innocence is available in 4K HDR on disc in Japan, but nothing here yet.

To which "Santa Claus - The Movie" are you referring to? The one with Dudley Moore is available.

That's the one, guess it came back again. Think it disappeared a bit early 2019 - least some do come back :) I remember queuing around the block with my brother and Gran to watch that one! :D

I'd love that! There are some titles I'd like to have, but just don't pull the trigger on them becuase I have other things to watch first. But if I knew something I wanted was going to be unavailable, I'd re-prioritize.

With Weathering You coming out soon on disc, I looked on the K store to see what Your Name ran for. Surprised to see it isn't even in the store. Fantastic animated film from a few years ago. Can't remember, but it may have even been up for the Oscar.

With Weathering You coming out soon on disc, I looked on the K store to see what Your Name ran for. Surprised to see it isn't even in the store. Fantastic animated film from a few years ago. Can't remember, but it may have even been up for the Oscar.

I've been suggesting to them to focus on more animation and anime. Studio Ghibli was a big foothold. I've since recommended a full stack of Gkids-held animation including those titles and many more. I'm hopeful we will see such titles come. Weathering and some of these are even getting 4k disc releases too, so having them in 4k Kaleidescape would be sweet.

"Trolls" (2016) is only offered in HD, but available in 4K HDR bluray disc.
"The Replacement Killers" (1998) is only offered in SD, but available on HD bluray disc.

“Queen: Rock Montreal” has been added to the store from Eagle Rock. Another disc I can remove from my vault. I have updated post #15.

John

Last edited:
Would love to see studio Vertical Entertainment added to store a bunch of movies from them I would love to watch only on dvd but HD on Vudu so not able to buy Blu-ray to put into Vault.

No better time for K to bring in Criterion to coincide with the November release of The Irishman 🤞

Another classic Missing from the K store is La Haine, previously distributed by Studio Canal (studio missing), available via criterion and soon to be re-released by BFI (studio missing) as part of a 25 year anniversary restoration.

Last edited:
Yes yes yes, +100 on the above - although I almost dropped my phone in excitement when I first read your post thinking it meant Criterion was on board! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Reactions: HCS
While I would love to see Criterion in the Kaleidescape Store, I am not sure if that is possible. I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that Criterion is not a studio. They do not own the films they release; they license them from the studio, probably in a similar fashion to K. However, some of the added content may be their own. How do you approach a label like Criterion? You are trying to license something that has already been licensed from the original owner and there are probably limitations on how that content can be distributed. Hopefully, I am wrong, but I do think there would be too many hurdles. If it were possible, I can think of many other distributors, such as Shout Factory, that would be great to have on board.

Maybe Cinelife with more background in this area, or Kaleidescape themselves, can comment further.

Wayne

While I would love to see Criterion in the Kaleidescape Store, I am not sure if that is possible. I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that Criterion is not a studio. They do not own the films they release; they license them from the studio, probably in a similar fashion to K. However, some of the added content may be their own. How do you approach a label like Criterion? You are trying to license something that has already been licensed from the original owner and there are probably limitations on how that content can be distributed. Hopefully, I am wrong, but I do think there would be too many hurdles. If it were possible, I can think of many other distributors, such as Shout Factory, that would be great to have on board.

Maybe Cinelife with more background in this area, or Kaleidescape themselves, can comment further.

Wayne

It all depends on whether they purchased the digital distribution rights for a given title as well. They have for a large portion of their titles, mostly ones that aren't normally distributed by large studios, but not quite for all of the titles they sell physically. Most titles that are available for streaming on their Criterion Channel service, they have digital distribution rights for, and sell directly through other retailers like iTunes as well. Those titles should be able to sold through Kaleidescape, if they sign a deal with them. Here's a screenshot showing a sampling of the movies they have digital distribution rights for and already sell directly on iTunes.

That being said, The Irishman is definitely not one of those titles, and wouldn't be available for sale on Kaleidescape even if The Criterion Collection were added for sale, because Neflix won't sell digital distribution rights for that title.

Last edited:
Reactions: HCS
Thanks, JWort93. Very helpful and good to know there may be hope for at least some of their fine releases.

Back