• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question from Kaleidescape: What's your Internet speed?

Mine just tested at 18 down and 25 up, but it's supposed to be 150 down. Excuse me while I make a quick phone call....

BTW, my data is capped at 2TB/month.

We have 150/20 with 3TB available, but no faster speeds.

EDIT: Just realized I was in the middle of a download at 72+ Mb. So, when added to the test speeds, it's around 90-97. Still not 150, but certainly reasonable.

Last edited:
I have a 300/20 plan usually test between 290-316MB/s on speediest sites with a 23MB/s upload. The kscape maxes out at 100MB/s I guess because the NIC doesn't support gigabit?

The NIC supports gigabit, but I don't think the server can write over 100mbit speed. They can stream over 100mbit because we can run well over that on a single server. I have 6 M-series players on my network and have never had issues with the server being able to keep the players fed. Replication maxes out at about 100mbit though - probably a limitation of the RAID controller calculating parity bits.

330 down, 30 up (FTTP) and capable of faster once BT roll out their upgrade at the exchange. The download speed limiter on kaleidescape has a 100MB/s maximum option - it would be great if there was no limit so those of us fortunate enough to have faster connections could download movies more quickly

330 down, 30 up (FTTP) and capable of faster once BT roll out their upgrade at the exchange. The download speed limiter on kaleidescape has a 100MB/s maximum option - it would be great if there was no limit so those of us fortunate enough to have faster connections could download movies more quickly

I don't think many people will cry for you. :D

--Donnie

Hopefully the point of this question is to calculate why there should be a RAID option in the new servers. I would gladly lose some capacity to avoid a re-download of everything after a drive failure.

Well, the new Terra servers are capped at 4 drives in their chassis, so the RAID overhead is 25% of the total storage, while the 3U server overhead with the hot spare is as low as 14.3%.

Eliminating music cuts down on a lot of the reload hassle if there is a catastrophy. I think instead they are just trying to figure out what percentage of the volume of their customer base is really capable of downloading 4K content. I would think they could look on their end and see what the in practice download speed is for every single client they have that uses the online store.

Asking for upload speed might make me wonder if they are looking at a different distribution model to help offload some of the strain on their pipes, much like Napster started and has been used in World of Warcraft for delivering updates.

Well it's 25% overhead on the current 1U servers and I'm fine with that on the new servers too. I just reached capacity on my disk vault and seeing how slow it takes to download movies that I converted to digital makes me see that it would take years to re-download the contents of a large server.

I would think they could look on their end and see what the in practice download speed is for every single client they have that uses the online store.

Considering that the download speeds of all titles used to be posted in the accounts on the store site, K can definitely look at individual download speeds.

I think the bigger issue long term is caps on downloads. If my data is caped in the future and I can only download a few movies per month, it affects K's business model (not to mention the problem this generates if a Terra server crashes and I need to download all my previous content - it could literally take years...).

John

Aren't most connections capped for data in a month? Mine is currently 2TB. After the Black Friday sale in the Store, I am at like 85% of my monthly allocation, and it doesn't reset until the 14th of December. So, purchasing of movies, or at least downloading them immediately, will cease after today until my cap resets.

Here in NYC, with TWC. What they say you get and what you actually get are very different. We are supposed to get 300/30. What I actually get tends to be in the 100-130MBS/11-15mbs range. I had talked about getting TWC business, which given you much slower speeds but guarantees the speed is constant at about 10x the monthly price. This tells me that TWC business users demand essentially throttles non-business demand in NYC via cable modem.

Despite this, I have been able to download K movies at rates as high if 81 MBPS and as low as 27 mbps. All on the same service and provider.

Aren't most connections capped for data in a month? Mine is currently 2TB. After the Black Friday sale in the Store, I am at like 85% of my monthly allocation, and it doesn't reset until the 14th of December. So, purchasing of movies, or at least downloading them immediately, will cease after today until my cap resets.

I have no cap. Last night I actually got an entire download at greater than my 25Mbs rate, too. My connection is 25Mbs with 50Mbs "burstable", but I've never seen it go over 25Mbs for more than a couple minutes. Dunno why it flexed way more this time. I was seeing like 42Mbs for the entire movie.

But no, I have no monthly cap.

--Donnie

I have 30 & 5Mb/s down & up, respectively. I'm in Durham, NC and served by TWC.

When Google announced they would fiber-ize the town, TWC upgraded its distribution network and hybrid nodes, and they've said I could get to 200/20 with a modem upgrade at the same price as what I pay now, or to 300/30 at a higher price; but I think I'd also need a firewall/router upgrade to push much more than about 100Mb/s.

Assuming Google actually wires -my- neighborhood, I'll switch to their service.

AT&T has also come to town with symmetric 'gigabit' fiber service, but I think people are only reporting several hundred Mb/s from that.

There's presently no cap on any of these services, but I think AT&T & TWC would implement tiered pricing if the other providers in the area also did.

Mike, I almost wonder why you ask. In my experience, the fastest Kaleidescape has ever served to me is 60MB/s, and ever since I downloaded a bunch of movies over the past month, it throttled down to 15MB/s and hasn't sped up yet... is that by design?

I pay for 100mb/s and I topped out (on K servers) at 83. I'm on FIOS

Back