• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question from Kaleidescape: What's your Internet speed?

Well, the new Terra servers are capped at 4 drives in their chassis, so the RAID overhead is 25% of the total storage, while the 3U server overhead with the hot spare is as low as 14.3%.
Actually the Terra servers do not use RAID. All of the storage on the four drives is available for movies.

Mike, I almost wonder why you ask. In my experience, the fastest Kaleidescape has ever served to me is 60MB/s, and ever since I downloaded a bunch of movies over the past month, it throttled down to 15MB/s and hasn't sped up yet... is that by design?

Do you mean MB/s (megabytes per second) or Mb/s (megabits per second)?

As others have noted, the current download limit is 100Mbit/sec. I regularly see that speed at home. If you're only seeing 15Mbit/sec consistently, then something is not right.

I have been getting downloads at 95+ Mb/s consistently so I suspect maybe there is an issue with your ISP.

Sorry, of course I meant Mb/s, not MB/s.

My ISP (Comcast) regularly tests out at much faster - just tested (while I'm downloading from Kaleidescape right now at 15Mb/s) and my download is 161Mb/s and my upload is 11Mb/s. So, there's lots of bandwidth that's not being used.

Now, this could be shaped by Comcast right now... but, weird, no?

I have been getting downloads at 95+ Mb/s consistently so I suspect maybe there is an issue with your ISP.

Show off!! ;)

How close to theoretical is that? I'm always complaining to VZ I'm not getting what I pay for

My 105 Comast service regularly tests out at 125-130Mb/s and my Alto downloads typically show 95Mb/s when my network is idle.

15Mb/s sounds like your connection is being throttled by your ISP. Another explanation could be a bad link in the chain between your K-scape and router.... bad switch, bad port, bad cable, broadcast storm by another device on the same switch... it all depends on how complicated your network is.

Assuming you have multiple hops between your K-scape and router, can you temporarily connect it directly to the router with a single ethernet cable and download again to test the speed?

Sorry, of course I meant Mb/s, not MB/s.

My ISP (Comcast) regularly tests out at much faster - just tested (while I'm downloading from Kaleidescape right now at 15Mb/s) and my download is 161Mb/s and my upload is 11Mb/s. So, there's lots of bandwidth that's not being used.

Now, this could be shaped by Comcast right now... but, weird, no?

Is your system a Premiere system or an Alto or Cinema One? If one of the latter, are you using Wi-Fi, or a wired network connection?

Are you sure that you have not set a speed limit on your downloads (on the Downloads page on the Movie Store)?

It's a Premiere system, wired (100% gigabit), and there's no speed limit set (it's a 100Mbps, the maximum).

It ran at 50-60Mbps from December 21st (when I started this batch of downloads) until December 25th, at which point it throttled down to 20Mbps. On the 26th, it dropped to 10-16Mbps and hasn't gone over that since then (although as of one second ago it's going at 20 again).

And, of course, now it's running at around 15 again. It seems clear someone is shaping the traffic. I just don't know who's doing it.

It's not us. I'm currently downloading a movie to my Alto at home:

altodownload.png

Last edited:
Must be Comcast, unfortunately (or some node in between Kaleidescape's CDN and my Boston-area Comcast). :(

I have maxed out my download speeds as well. I didn't average 100mbps but I did see it pegged for a large amount of the time it was downloading and averaged somewhere around 97-98Mbps IIRC.

My ISP speed is over 100Mbps so I can have a few other things running and still get the 100 on my K-server.

Impressive! I pay 100 but never broke 82 if I can remember correctly. Really wondering if there is a way to maximize bandwidth to the k server. It's above my pay-grade!

For what it's worth, earlier today, I had two active downloads at home (one to a Premiere system and another to an Encore system) going concurrently and both stayed within the 90 to 100 Mbps range throughout the download.

Awesome. That sounds like a test that needs independent verification though. Ship me my Strato and I will see how it works running a couple downloads at the same time to two different systems over here.

Actually, if one has multiple Strato 6TB players in one ecosystem, can they have multiple downloads going at once? Like say one to each player/server if they have the bandwidth? Or are we limited to one download at a time per "system" on an account?

Actually, if one has multiple Strato 6TB players in one ecosystem, can they have multiple downloads going at once? Like say one to each player/server if they have the bandwidth? Or are we limited to one download at a time per "system" on an account?

It's one download per system. So if a download is going to the Terra server, none of the Strato or Alto devices that are connected to that server will be downloading.

Mike, I've never maxed out my download. Do you shut off everything else in the house sucking bandwidth?!?

Haha, no. I have 180Mbps business-class service at home. It was supposed to be a temporary boost up from 100 for a project, but somehow I haven't gotten around to putting it back where it was... :rolleyes:

Back