• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Official Disc Media Expanded Bookmarks Check Thread

Expecting House M.D. the complete seasons in Blu-ray from the UK in the mail. Already have the Seasons 6-8 in HD from the store. The seasons 1-5 were never released on Blu-ray in the US and the Kstore has only SD versions. I doubt these discs are video bookmarked but I will inform here once I import them to my Premiere server.

Correction, Season 3 discs are video bookmarked. Season 1 and 2 aren’t video bookmarked.
Kaleidescape confirmed the Seasons 1 and 2 aren’t in the video bookmark database. I will be mailing my discs soon.

Expecting House M.D. the complete seasons in Blu-ray from the UK in the mail. Already have the Seasons 6-8 in HD from the store. The seasons 1-5 were never released on Blu-ray in the US and the Kstore has only SD versions. I doubt these discs are video bookmarked but I will inform here once I import them to my Premiere server.

My Premiere system is currently importing the first 5 seasons of this UK Blu-ray box set. So far the first season is video bookmarked. I will inform here once I import later seasons.

The picture quality is a marked upgrade from the SD downloads and the US DVDs. The audio is DTS 5.1 at 1.5mbps constant bitrate.

I have The A Team and MacGyver on my radar now. It would be nice if anyone knows if these are video bookmarked.

Hi, a quick question, I see you have a Terra, 3xDVs, a 78TB Nas( il call it that for handiness)I presume you use a Lumagen or co star to link the DVs and Terra , my question is how does the NAS work?

I believe you are referring to the Premiere 3U server in my signature. It is not a generic NAS but a Kaleidescape branded one. It is part of a discontinued Premiere line up prior to Strato and Terra products.

The Disc Vaults and the M-Class players including the M700 are linked to the Premiere 3U server which holds all my DVD and Blu-ray imports (rips). The Co-Star implementation in my Lumagen Radiance Pro allows the Premiere line system to seamlessly integrate with the Strato C player and the Terra server.

This way I am not limited to the movies on the Kaleidescape store but I can add DVDs and Blu-rays to my library. My entire library of digital downloads, DVD and Blu-ray imports appears in one uniform GUI. I can call any movie and it will play without having to change any inputs.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
My Premiere system is currently importing the first 5 seasons of this UK Blu-ray box set. So far the first season is video bookmarked. I will inform here once I import later seasons.

The picture quality is a marked upgrade from the SD downloads and the US DVDs. The audio is DTS 5.1 at 1.5mbps constant bitrate.
I can confirm the first 5 seasons are fully video bookmarked.

I can confirm these are not bookmarked.
I corrected myself on an earlier post that Season 3 discs are already video bookmarked. Kaleidescape Movie Guide team offered to video bookmark Season 1 and Season 2 discs free of charge. They said this would be a one time only offer so your mileage may vary. I mailed the discs in on Wednesday. This is my first time using the disc loaning service. I will update the progress here as a reference for others who might need it later.

Please note that my posts here are not to evaluate the time lines or the efficiencies of this service but to highlight the steps involved to guide others. Kaleidescape does not offer any ‘rush‘ loan service at the moment so it is a best effort offering and we must understand it that way. I am glad that they are still continuing this service although the Premiere line has been discontinued over 2 years ago.

I have completed my first disc loan last month. Here are some details.

1- I reached out to Kaleidescape about my discs without video bookmarking. Kaleidescape replied within 24 hours and directed me to use the disc loan program.
2- I mailed my discs to Kaleidescape and they arrived to their facility on Friday, June 30, 2023.
3- Kaleidescape confirmed via email on Monday, July 10, that they received the discs on June 30, 2023.
4- Kaleidescape informed me my loan is complete and shipped my discs back on August 2, 2023.
5- I received my discs back on August 4, 2023.

I sent in 2 TV series seasons (2 discs each) and 3 other discs from 2 different TV series and seasons for a total of 7 discs. I would think TV series are more difficult to process because of many chapter stops. I think the above turn time is more than reasonable. I was extremely happy how easy everything went. I am preparing to send my next batch now.

I received this set from Amazon this morning. My Premiere system is currently importing the discs.

I already had the first season Fox released on Blu-ray disc in 2010. These are already imported to my Premiere system and they all have video bookmarks. For some reason Fox didn't release the second season on Blu-ray but in DVD. The second season DVD set has video bookmarks.

I skipped the first season discs on the new set released by Visual Entertainment Inc. I will continue to use Fox released Blu-ray discs for the first season. The Fox discs have lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 whereas the Visual Entertainment Inc. discs are in lossy Dolby Digital 5.1/2.0.

Unfortunately, the Visual Entertainment Inc. discs are not recognized by my Premiere system. I am going to enter the disc details after the imports are complete. The reviews for the Visual Entertainment Inc releases have been bad. I expect only minimal improvements over the earlier DVD release by Fox. If I don't see heavy DNR/EE or other major issues, I will send the Visual Entertainment Inc discs to Kaleidescape for video bookmarking.

I have completed my first disc loan last month. Here are some details.

1- I reached out to Kaleidescape about my discs without video bookmarking. Kaleidescape replied within 24 hours and directed me to use the disc loan program.
2- I mailed my discs to Kaleidescape and they arrived to their facility on Friday, June 30, 2023.
3- Kaleidescape confirmed via email on Monday, July 10, that they received the discs on June 30, 2023.
4- Kaleidescape informed me my loan is complete and shipped my discs back on August 2, 2023.
5- I received my discs back on August 4, 2023.

I sent in 2 TV series seasons (2 discs each) and 3 other discs from 2 different TV series and seasons for a total of 7 discs. I would think TV series are more difficult to process because of many chapter stops. I think the above turn time is more than reasonable. I was extremely happy how easy everything went. I am preparing to send my next batch now.
What did they charge you for the bookmarking of your discs?

What did they charge you for the bookmarking of your discs?
3 discs were from different TV series which already had all other discs bookmarked. They didn’t charge anything for these.

The 2 TV series seasons I sent in were also free of charge for one time only.

My next batch will be $10 per disc. For example, multi-disc set like Magnum P.I. The complete series (30 discs) would be $300. There might be exceptions like the 3 discs above.

Interesting on the cost for that. So I was checking Amazon and the price for a brand new copy of Magnum P.I.: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] is $88 with free shipping. After paying for two-way shipping with the disc loan program, it seems like it might be better to just pay for discs and have them shipped directly to K. Plus, if there's a mistake with the bookmarking, K would have the set in their disc library to use to fix any issues. And maybe give a price break on the actual bookmarking if K gets to keep it.

Not sure if K has any interest in holding onto the discs anymore though. I thought I recall from some interview that they have a massive disc library at their offices.

Interesting on the cost for that. So I was checking Amazon and the price for a brand new copy of Magnum P.I.: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] is $88 with free shipping. After paying for two-way shipping with the disc loan program, it seems like it might be better to just pay for discs and have them shipped directly to K. Plus, if there's a mistake with the bookmarking, K would have the set in their disc library to use to fix any issues. And maybe give a price break on the actual bookmarking if K gets to keep it.

Not sure if K has any interest in holding onto the discs anymore though. I thought I recall from some interview that they have a massive disc library at their offices.
They didn't offer me this option. I wouldn't mind gifting them discs if they discount the bookmarking service fee.

I paid for shipping to send my discs to their facility. I didn't pay for the return shipping. They said $10 per disc covers the bookmarking service and shipping.

You can see on my earlier post here I had Magnum P.I. imported to my server. I must have been the first one to do so. Those discs were not recognized at first.

If there is interest in video bookmarking these TV show sets with 30+ discs, we can share the burden by video bookmarking fee cost sharing. I am willing to buy the sets, mail the discs to Kaleidescape and handle the entire process.

Happy to report that Star Trek: Picard (Season 3) discs are fully video bookmarked although they released yesterday.

Note: Star Trek: Pickard Season 1 and 2 discs are also fully video bookmarked. Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 and 2 discs are video bookmarked too. I lost interest in this show so I never bought the later seasons.

I imported The Fly II (1989) today. The K system recongnized the disc but there are no video bookmarks.

This disc is a part of the The Fly Collection box set. I bought only The Fly II (1989) from eBay from someone who parted the set. I already own the first film on digital. I waited for Kaleidescape to add the second film but finally gave up. I think it is a worthy sequal to the first film which is a worthy reimagining remake of the original. I like the Cronenberg version even better than the original. The Fly II is extremely underrated. Eric Stoltz is very veyr good in it.

I don't have good luck with the Shout Factory discs. This Millennium/Rotor double feature was recognized but no video bookmarks.

I imported Ferrari (2023) this week to my Premiere system. It was recognized correctly but it doesn't have video bookmarks.

I am awaiting delivery on ISS and The Moon on Monday. I am doubtful they will be even recognized but I will report it here once confirmed.

I am awaiting delivery on ISS and The Moon on Monday. I am doubtful they will be even recognized but I will report it here once confirmed.

The Moon wasn't recognized. I just scanned the cover art and uploading it now.

Back