• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Official Disc Media Expanded Bookmarks Check Thread

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
This is a thread to post questions regarding Kaleidescape Expanded Bookmarks for Blu-ray discs and DVDs.

Please refer to the following guides for importing and cataloging Blu-ray discs and DVDs to your Kaleidescape system.

HOW DO I ADD MOVIES AND TV SERIES TO MY KALEIDESCAPE SYSTEM?​

There are three ways of adding content to your Kaleidescape System. Movies and TV series can be downloaded from the Kaleidescape Movie Store (in territories where the Movie Store is supported), cataloged from Blu-ray discs and DVDs, and in the case of a Premiere system and Cinema One, they can be imported from Blu-ray disc. Regardless of how content is added to your Kaleidescape System, all your movies and TV series appear together in a single, easy to use library with the very best features of the Kaleidescape Experience, including Start and Paused bookmarks, Scenes and Songs, and instant access to special features.

Many Kaleidescape dealers and some service providers offer bulk services for adding content. Ask an Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer for details.

NOTE: The behavior described in this article applies to systems purchased from Kaleidescape after November 30th, 2014.

Download from the Movie Store

In territories where the Kaleidescape Movie Store is supported, movies and TV series can be purchased for download directly to your Kaleidescape System in true 4K Ultra HD at up to 60 frames per second and in the same bit-for-bit quality as Blu-ray discs and DVDs. Titles purchased from the Kaleidescape Movie Store can be downloaded to as many as five Kaleidescape systems owned by the same customer.

Catalog from Disc

When a Blu-ray disc or DVD is cataloged, the movie is added to the Kaleidescape System without storing the files on the hard disk drive of a player, or the set of hard disk drives in a server. The movie appears in the on-screen user interface, just like content downloaded from the Kaleidescape Movie Store. In many cases, a digital offer is available to upgrade the Blu-ray disc or DVD to a disc-free download (in territories where the Movie Store is supported). Cataloged Blu-ray discs and DVDs can be played directly from the optical disc drive of the player, Kaleidescape Disc Server or Kaleidescape Disc Vault (NOTE: The Strato movie player does not support direct playback of Blu-ray discs). Storing discs in a disc server or disc vault allows for automated access and playback and eliminates the need to find and insert a disc. Multiple players can share a disc server or disc vault, but playback is supported for just one player at a time.

Import from Disc

When a Blu-ray disc is imported, the content is copied bit-for-bit and stored on the hard disk drive of Cinema One (2nd generation), or the array of hard disk drives on a Premier server. Blu-ray discs can be imported from a compatible player or a Kaleidescape Disc Vault. During playback, the Blu-ray disc must be present in the slot or tray of a compatible player, or in a disc vault for automated access without the need to find and insert a disc. Strato systems do not support the import of discs.

Players

When a Blu-ray disc is inserted into the tray or slot of a compatible player, the Disc in Player page appears. To import the disc, select Import Disc. If the Disc in Player page is dismissed, it can be accessed again from the Kaleidescape menu. An import can also be started by simply inserting the Blu-ray disc and pressing the Import/Catalog button on the front of the player.

Source: https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/How-do-I-add-movies-and-TV-series-to-my-Kaleidescape-System

KALEIDESCAPE LOAN PROGRAM​

Before loaning discs to Kaleidescape, enter the barcode (UPC or EAN) of unrecognized discs with the on-screen display or browser interface. We use the barcode to identify the title of the disc and we try to provide some information about the disc, including cover art, title, cast, director, “Play Movie” bookmark, and songs for albums. We update the Kaleidescape Movie Guide and Music Guide so that the disc is recognized. Check your system about a week after providing the barcode. If this does not solve your problem, then contact us to schedule a loan.

WHY LOAN DISCS?

Our Loan program is designed to allow customers an opportunity to get improved metadata on their DVDs, Blu-ray discs, or CDs. What do you get from loaning a disc to Kaleidescape?
  • Expanded Bookmarks:
    • A movie has no “Play Movie” option to begin playing the feature directly.
    • A television program has no “Play Episode” option to choose an episode to play directly.
    • A concert, movie or musical has no “Play Song” option to choose songs to play directly.
  • High Resolution Cover Art
  • Aspect Ratio / Masking recorded: If your home theater is integrated with the Kaleidescape System to adjust lighting or screen masks, but a movie is missing the control triggers that enable such features.
  • Improved CD recognition: For any missing track information and Artist linking.
You can also use the browser interface to upload cover art and add information for movies and albums. See our Adding Guide Info Document. To identify a disc by barcode, it helps us to know the title and disc number if in a box set, so please add this information with the browser interface.

HOW IT WORKS

You contact us to schedule a loan (see below), please note, there is a $10/disc charge for the labor to process your titles. You send us your discs. We catalog the discs in your shipment and send you an email confirmation. We process the discs for complete movie and music information. We update the Kaleidescape Movie Guide and Music Guide based on this information and your Kaleidescape System updates automatically.
When processing is complete, we will charge you and then carefully pack your discs to be returned. In the return shipment, we include an inventory sheet with notes about disc condition and any processing issues. An email message indicating the shipping company and tracking number, and a receipt will be sent as the package ships.
The loan program is available to customers and dealers worldwide. Based on your location and the queues at our offices, we will direct the discs to our office in the United States or to another loan processing center. Processing can take longer if discs require special attention such as translation or bookmarking songs. Imported DVDs and CDs are available for playback on your Kaleidescape System while the discs are loaned to Kaleidescape. Blu-ray discs are not available for playback when the disc is not present in your system.
We only process commercially released Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs. We do not process home movies or DVD-Rs.

HOW TO START A LOAN

Send an email message to loan@kaleidescape.com and provide the following information.
  • Name of the Kaleidescape System owner
  • Name of the dealer
  • Contact details of the person sending the shipment to Kaleidescape (name, telephone number, email)
  • Number of discs (Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs, not the number of titles or box sets) to be shipped
We will schedule your loan and contact you. Please do not ship discs to Kaleidescape before we confirm that we are expecting your loan. Please be advised that you may have to wait before shipping your loaned discs.

Source: https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/Kaleidescape-Loan-Program

Did anyone purchase SeaQuest DSV: The Complete Series and can confirm they are bookmarked? I imported the Australian release a while ago. These are unrecognized. I am considering buying the recent US release to see if those are bookmarked before I loan the Australian discs.

Did anyone purchase SeaQuest DSV: The Complete Series and can confirm they are bookmarked? I imported the Australian release a while ago. These are unrecognized. I am considering buying the recent US release to see if those are bookmarked before I loan the Australian discs.

I ended up purchasing the US release. I can confirm that these discs are unrecognized.

I edited the barcodes, movie details and cover arts. I will give it a couple of months for the content team to "hopefully" bookmark these.

Did anyone purchase Stargate SG-1: The Complete Series and can confirm they are bookmarked?

Did anyone purchase The 4400: The Complete Series and can confirm they are bookmarked?

I used to enjoy SeaQuest a lot. Especially early in the series where they tried to tie it into real ocean science and had Bob Ballard on at the end. I took a look and we do not currently have bookmarks for any version of the series. I'm told that a US version was just released by Mill Creek and we expect that one to be processed soon.

We are also working on bookmarking the SG-1 complete series. It's a big project.

We are also working on bookmarking the SG-1 complete series. It's a big project.
Why, it's only 41 disks? I guess it's tangentially related, so [at least for projects of this length] do they normally release all the bookmarks at once, or do they get the basic framework (episodes/play movie) done & released first and then consider scenes later?

We don't usually do scenes in TV series. (Monty Python was an exception.) But "only" 41 discs is actually 214 episodes, each of which needs its start bookmark and end credits bookmark set. Plus any extras on the discs if there are some.

It's not as big of a project as bookmarking 214 individual movies, but it's not that far off. Like I said, it's a big project.

I can confirm this set is not bookmarked. The first season is on the store in SD.

@MikeKobb is there any plans to add bookmarks or add all season in HD to the digital store?

I can confirm these are not bookmarked.

I edited the barcodes, movie details and cover arts. I will give it a couple of months for the content team to "hopefully" bookmark these.
The SeaQuest DSV Blu-ray discs (US release) are fully bookmarked now.

On a separate subject, I found out the teen idol of the 90s, Jonathan Brandis, ender his life at 27 years old in 2003. He left no notes behind but friends reported he was in depression after his role in Hart’s War with Bruce Willis was reduced in the final cut. He thought this movie would have revived his career. Such a sad story. I really liked him in SeaQuest DSV and Sidekicks with Chuck Norris in the 90s. There is a big come back to retro action, sci-fi and horror films with fans showing massive appreciation to the stars of the 80s and the 90s now. I wish he had held on to life a bit further, I am sure he would be all over YouTube giving interviews now. Edward Furlong had trouble for a long while too but he is the John Connor for me forever. Brainscan and American History X are his other hidden gems of the 90s.

I took advantage of the recent sale on Magnum, P.I. Blu-ray disc complete series boxset. I will report here if they are video bookmarked.

I am sending these in for bookmarking in the next few days.

I took advantage of the recent sale on Magnum, P.I. Blu-ray disc complete series boxset. I will report here if they are video bookmarked.

These are unrecognized. I am uploading cover arts and updating metadata. What are the odds Kaleidescape will get video bookmarks for these without me sending the discs in?

These are unrecognized. I am uploading cover arts and updating metadata. What are the odds Kaleidescape will get video bookmarks for these without me sending the discs in?

I'd certainly buy that collection! I don't think we'll see that anytime soon, but I'd love to be wrong. (My memory must be failing, I really thought MPI was 16:9 AR.) Fun times in Hawaii back then, Tom was a neighbor, great guy, super friendly, kind to everyone he met.

Jim

I'd certainly buy that collection! I don't think we'll see that anytime soon, but I'd love to be wrong. (My memory must be failing, I really thought MPI was 16:9 AR.) Fun times in Hawaii back then, Tom was a neighbor, great guy, super friendly, kind to everyone he met.

Jim
I watched the first 5 episodes so far. The aspect ratio is the original broadcast version of 1.33:1. The audio is DTS-HD MA 2.0 (dual mono) which is the original broadcast soundtrack. It is clear they used a mix of video (or 16mm?) and film cameras in the original production. The film sourced scenes are very sharp with nice colors. I would say the overall quality is consistent with the rest of the Mill Creek releases, not great but no so bad either.

I didn’t see the remake series but the cast on the original is very very good. Tom has a lot of charisma and his acting is pretty good too. I like his later Jesse Stone films too.

I have The A Team and MacGyver on my radar now. It would be nice if anyone knows if these are video bookmarked.

Be sure to enter the UPC codes. That will drive any chance of the discs you have being linked to any existing alternate version of the set that we have processed and bookmarked.

With that said, I'm not sure if we've ever bookmarked a Magnum, P.I. Blu-ray set.

I am sending these in for bookmarking in the next few days.

Correction, Season 3 discs are video bookmarked. Season 1 and 2 aren’t video bookmarked.

Back