• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kscape Products

For me, I'm at 1G service right now. I think my current provider could give me 1.2G if paid a bit more. I wouldn't mind the convenience of turning ~15 minute downloads into <10. But I agree, it usually takes longer than that to get our family of 4 into the room ready to hit play.

I had been considering changing service providers from WoW to AT&T Fiber, but that would cap me at 1 Gbps again. I don't think they go any higher here yet. On the plus side, the 1.2G service from WoW comes with no data caps.

Changing over to 2.5G level networking would be a little involved right now, and I can't get that level of service anyway. But that's now. It'll be a different story before long.
1G service generally gives you 1.25G but bottlenecked by the 1Gbe socket. If you can get a modem/router with SFP+ or 2.5G (or 5G) ports, even if you are on 1G plan, you will see that your downloads will reach up to 1.2gbps. I am not familiar with WoW. AT&T won’t let you bring your own router. You need to request a Nokia BGW320-505 router which has a 5G port.

EDIT: Oh! I might have been wrong. Looks like AT&T Fiber has a 2G and even a 5G offering. That could change calculus on HDD vs. SSD servers after all.
AT&T 2G on their Nokia BGW320-505 router will give you 2.35gbps up/down on its 5Gbe port.

FYI, I'll be live tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern with Matt Scarborough from Kaleidescape to talk about the new Terra Prime servers. Come on out and join the stream and bring any questions, thoughts, and feedback to share.

I will try to watch it. Good luck on the stream!

Yes ... all new board, faster processor, faster Ethernet, and faster solid-state drives. With SSD, it will download 4K Kaleidescape movies in as little as 4 minutes, and play up to 25 4K zones simultaneously.
Just noticing the lack of change from the press release. So, the SSD can support 25 zones, but the HDD models are still stuck at 5 & 10?

Just noticing the lack of change from the press release. So, the SSD can support 25 zones, but the HDD models are still stuck at 5 & 10?
I think 10 high bitrate 4K streams is optimistic from any HDD unless in a RAID setup. I doubt the 2.5Gbe and beefier CPU can improve that number. 25 high bitrate 4K stream is the the 2.5Gbe limitation, otherwise a decent SSD has enough read speed for 40+ zones. The next gen server will perhaps have 10Gbe and enough processing power to support 40-45 zones (if anyone will ever need that).

The 10 is likely a read / write limitation of a spinning disk HDD. Similar to how the 2.5GB port really only gets you 1.3 GB downloads on the HDD versions vs the full speed on the SSD versions.

I also noticed that when I was downloading movies to the original terra servers, my other network devices (laptop, tablet, phone) would feel the degraded network, even at times coming to a crawl. (seemed the terra was hogging most of the bandwidth).
The new Prime, has been downloading for 6 days now and we have not experienced any slow downs on other devices at all. Speed tests on other devices show they are not affected at all during the Prime downloads.
Mh, that doesn´t sound logically. At least if the rest of the networking infrastructure hasn´t changed.

Just to clarify a bit here:
The stated numbers are for concurrent playbacks not number of zones. You can certainly have more than 5 or 10 zones with a Terra Prime (HDD). You just won't be able to support the same number of concurrent playbacks that a Terra Prime (SSD) can serve.

Late on this thread but good to see the new product offerings, will see in person later this week at CEDIA. Overall, impressions are favorable, although not likely to upgrade but rather add a Prime Terra after the 2 existing Compact 22TB Terra's max out on space. So far with 1G service the download speeds are plenty fast enough, at least for our viewing habits of buying and watching.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 11.12.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 11.12.42 AM.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 61
I finally got AT&T Fiber with 5Gbps set up. I needed to learn all about SFP+ and getting my router to take full advantage of the 5Gbps and connect my Terra Prime HDD to it to support 2.5Gbps speeds. The fastest I've seen so far is downloads at 1442.2 Mbps, which is about twice as fast as when I was on Comcast 750Mbps and the non-prime Terra. Pretty good!

I finally got AT&T Fiber with 5Gbps set up. I needed to learn all about SFP+ and getting my router to take full advantage of the 5Gbps and connect my Terra Prime HDD to it to support 2.5Gbps speeds. The fastest I've seen so far is downloads at 1442.2 Mbps, which is about twice as fast as when I was on Comcast 750Mbps and the non-prime Terra. Pretty good!
Nice - what router are you using? Only getting up to 2 Gbps offered

Was nice to see the units up close at CEDIA this past week. Definitely looking forward to a Terra Prime once I maximize the space on the current units (not doing trade-ins at present time). Did ask again about the ability to do gift cards. Best workaround for now is working with the dealer to get movie credits established and the dealer can send a link to friends & family to buy the credits. Just posting as a FYI since it came up in Techthusiasm interview with Kaleidescape and something my family asks to do a lot since that's what I really want every Christmas!

That's about as fast as you'll get on the Terra Prime HDD. The speed is limited by the physical write speed of the hard disks. The Terra Prime SSD's will top out closer to the full 2.5 of the ethernet port (assuming adequate internet).

CEDIA Post of their booth from Rave. They had a Quantum Media Systems Wall setup and was amazing! I did have to give the regional rep Matt and a few people a hard time about not having a gifting/gift card section on the platform (thanks for that Techthusiasm!). We did find a 'workaround' for the family and friends that want to buy movies or gifting an amount towards it and keep the dealers engaged. Not perfect but a viable solution in some use cases.

CEDIA Post of their booth from Rave. They had a Quantum Media Systems Wall setup and was amazing! I did have to give the regional rep Matt and a few people a hard time about not having a gifting/gift card section on the platform (thanks for that Techthusiasm!). We did find a 'workaround' for the family and friends that want to buy movies or gifting an amount towards it and keep the dealers engaged. Not perfect but a viable solution in some use cases.

What is the workaround?

What is the workaround?
I know I'm going to butcher this a bit, but had my integrator with me to obtain the details. To the best that I can recall the integrator will work with Kaleidescape to load movie credits onto my account and my integrator will send a branded invoice to my friends/family in that amount. This was a fluid conversation between the rep and their COO, Mrs. Morgan and relayed this to be the recommend steps. Perhaps if there is enough interest they can do a future kOS update to provide gifting as movie credits or a sub-page on the company webpage to gift a family/friend, provided some input to have the integrator/dealer is identified in the submittal. That was my feedback to the rep I spoke with. Welcome corrections to this and input as this option get asked almost every year from my family (been a KScape owner for around 11 years)

I know I'm going to butcher this a bit, but had my integrator with me to obtain the details. To the best that I can recall the integrator will work with Kaleidescape to load movie credits onto my account and my integrator will send a branded invoice to my friends/family in that amount. This was a fluid conversation between the rep and their COO, Mrs. Morgan and relayed this to be the recommend steps. Perhaps if there is enough interest they can do a future kOS update to provide gifting as movie credits or a sub-page on the company webpage to gift a family/friend, provided some input to have the integrator/dealer is identified in the submittal. That was my feedback to the rep I spoke with. Welcome corrections to this and input as this option get asked almost every year from my family (been a KScape owner for around 11 years)
That was my understanding of it as well. There quite a bit of interest in actual gift cards. This method is quote the PITA for the gift giver.

Back