• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kscape Products

Yes, that's correct. Should be more than double on average, IIRC. Obviously there are factors that can extend or reduce these differences.

K has two markets that benefit the most by moving to SSD's, that's Aviation and Marine (for obvious reasons), but we home market folks gain as well.

Jim
Is that right? I have probably not been looking at this for a while now but SSDs always used to have shorter life than HDDs. Has the technology moved onto the point that it's significantly the other way around now?

edit - answered my own question - yep - it's changed significantly since the early SDDs

Also movies is very static data. You download a huge file and then it sits there for relatively long time.

Some recent downloads to a Terra Prime (SSD) connected to my 3 Gbps internet service:
1693315039319.png
They should be a little faster but I have my download speeds capped at 1600 Mbps at the moment.
I found this one amusing:
1693315000367.png
I think most of that 36 seconds was actually the setup and teardown of the download session. :)

Can someone help me understand if the Prime's faster processing and extra ram will be a noticeable upgrade from the outgoing Terra? Will it be able to fast-forward & rewind through movies faster or something? Anything else?

Trying to appreciate if swapping mine out for the new Prime would even be a noticeable upgrade or not. (I won't be able to to make use of the 2.5G ethernet port, right now at least)

Can someone help me understand if the Prime's faster processing and extra ram will be a noticeable upgrade from the outgoing Terra? Will it be able to fast-forward & rewind through movies faster or something? Anything else?
Fast forward and rewind (aka "Trick play") is a function of the player not the server so switching your Terra to a Terra Prime would have no appreciable effect on this.

I'm deleting any new threads on this subject, this will remain the main thread.

Jim

Is that right? I have probably not been looking at this for a while now but SSDs always used to have shorter life than HDDs. Has the technology moved onto the point that it's significantly the other way around now?

edit - answered my own question - yep - it's changed significantly since the early SDDs

More comment from EaseUS:

The lifespan of an SSD is significantly longer than that of an HDD. While HDDs tend to last around 3-5 years, SSDs can last up to 10 years or more. This is because SSDs have no moving parts, whereas HDDs have spinning disks that can wear down over time.Jul 20, 2023.
Additionally, SSDs don't require defragmentation like HDDs do, which also helps to extend their lifespan. So if you're looking for a computer storage solution that will last for a long time, an SSD is the way to go.

They're stating the obvious regarding wear, and some "experts" might have a different view on actual longevity, but it's safe to say SSD's do last longer, the question on how much longer is really a function of many factors (quality of the SSD, operating conditions, etc.).

Jim

It's not a "credit," it's the cost of purchasing a new Prime chassis. It requires the owner to return their current full sized Terra chassis (empty), in exchange for being able to upgrade to the new Prime chassis at the stated cost (msrp). The owner keeps their original drives and installs those in the new Prime chassis.

I'm going to post the latest Sales Programs (Promo's) in a separate thread shortly. Although you cannot do what you asked, there is a $1500 store credit offered by K for those purchasing the Terra Prime 88TB.

Jim

It all makes me wonder if Kaleidescape is pushing towards "streaming" the same quality content we're downloading today, for users who meet a certain bandwidth threshold. Not technically streaming, but allowing playback to begin almost immediately once a certain buffer has been filled.

It's not a "credit," it's the cost of purchasing a new Prime chassis. It requires the owner to return their current full sized Terra chassis (empty), in exchange for being able to upgrade to the new Prime chassis at the stated cost (msrp). The owner keeps their original drives and installs those in the new Prime chassis.

I'm going to post the latest Sales Programs (Promo's) in a separate thread shortly. Although you cannot do what you asked, there is a $1500 store credit offered by K for those purchasing the Terra Prime 88TB.

Jim

I may have missed this, but does trading in current Terra for upgrade to the new Prime chassis kickstart a new 5 year warranty?

I may have missed this, but does trading in current Terra for upgrade to the new Prime chassis kickstart a new 5 year warranty?

Good question, I'll get back to you. (Although I'm sure it will not apply to the drives.)

Jim

The answer is "Yes" for the Terra Prime chassis, you get a new 5 year warranty. The drives will only have whatever warranty is remaining on the drives when you make the change.

Jim

San Francisco Bay Area. And believe it or not, it’s $39.99/mo.
5Gb from AT&T Fiber is the best we have in the Orange County. 5Gb is $250/month and 2Gb is $150/month. They give you $20/month off if you have AT&T cellular. I have their 2Gb service grandfathered in for $110/month (without AT&T cellular).

I almost always get 2.4Gb upload and download speeds. Their router is mediocre with a small NAT table. There is no bridge mode. You can’t use a 3rd party router as AT&T won’t authenticate/release an IP address. In other words, all that speed clogged by the router after a few days of use. I found a work around using static IP which cost another $15/month. AT&T router doesn’t NAT the internet but still keeps a table so I have to restart it every 48 hours for a fresh table.

Depending on where on the HDD my Terra is writing, I get somewhere between 700mbps to 930mpbs download speeds. 930mbps is pretty much the theoretical limit of the 1Gbe socket. The first quarter or so of each HDD gets the best download speeds as the angular velocity is the fastest towards the edges (Therefore writes faster). Based on this, the new Terra Prime HDD could be “theoretically” faster downloading than the old Terra while it’s writing on the outer rims of its HDDs. In other words, the first a few TB on each of the 4 HDDs will be significantly faster downloading the last a few TBs. This could be a good marketing point for the Terra Prime SSD which can saturate the 2.5Gbe connection at all times. Did you ever consider adding a small SSD or flash memory as a scratch(cache) disc to improve seek time and latency on the Terra Prime HDD? I am curious if that would prove useful in a movie server.

I thought my Terra 72 was perfect. I didn’t expect these upgrades. Thank you for continuing to improve the hardware. I am hoping to add one of these to my setup soon.

The answer is "Yes" for the Terra Prime chassis, you get a new 5 year warranty. The drives will only have whatever warranty is remaining on the drives when you make the change.

Jim
This is cool news. Is there an expiration on the Terra to Terra Prime upgrade program?

Is there a cost for the upgrade program? And does it apply for compact servers also?
about $8K to trade up for the new chassis. There is no upgrade path for the compact servers. The 2nd hand value is generally strong on Kaleidescape. You could sell your server and buy a new one with minimal loss. In the next weeks we will see if the market is flooded with used Kaleidescape gear due to this. Flooded 2nd hand market can hurt the resale value. The upgrade program protects the full chassis Terra value in a way as I anticipate most people will chose the official upgrade route rather than selling in the 2nd hand market.

Fast forward and rewind (aka "Trick play") is a function of the player not the server so switching your Terra to a Terra Prime would have no appreciable effect on this.
Hey John, is performance in the browser interface improved (e.g., deleting content, uploading custom covers...)?

Thanks,
Andy

Back