• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kscape Products

You need to post your download speed ..
Download speed seems to be the same, which is about 10 minutes for an HDR movie. But I only have about 750 mbs internet speed, so not sure if that's maxed out. And I'm not sure if the non-SSD Prime Terras have improved download speeds compared to the old Terras.

You'll need a faster Internet connection than 750 Mbs to see the faster download speeds.
I’ve got 2GB ATT Fiber that clocks in at about 2.35GB Up/Down wired to the Orbi 6E. Happy to volunteer my internet for some real world marketing materials should kscape want to make a donation…just saying

I ordered a new 48 TB Terra last week. They just installed it today and it's a Terra Prime. Very lucky for me, but then again, I won't really notice much of a difference in my set up.

They quietly moved to the new Terra Prime a week or so ago.......

Jim

Image 8-28-23 at 8.44 PM.jpeg

I would assume, if the SSD Server is frequently powered and utilized, that the lifespan would likely surpass that of the spinning HDD servers. Is that a correct assumption?

They need a special program where we can trade in old Terras!

Not exactly the same, but K is offering the ability to upgrade (trade-in) a full sized Terra chassis to a new Prime chassis (Silver) for $7,995 (msrp).

Jim

Well....I am very grumpy as I just received a new Terra 48 TB on Friday ... and it is not a Prime.

View attachment 4015

I would assume, if the SSD Server is frequently powered and utilized, that the lifespan would likely surpass that of the spinning HDD servers. Is that a correct assumption?

Yes, that's correct. Should be more than double on average, IIRC. Obviously there are factors that can extend or reduce these differences.

K has two markets that benefit the most by moving to SSD's, that's Aviation and Marine (for obvious reasons), but we home market folks gain as well.

Jim

Well....I am very grumpy as I just received a new Terra 48 TB on Friday ... and it is not a Prime.

Your order probably caught the end of inventory for the original server.

Jim

Ok, to what city do I move to get 10Gb fiber? I will pick up my family and move tomorrow.
As long as you don't ask how many limbs it will cost per month, most of them.

I'd be curious to see what kind of wear protection the SSD version will provide, because that will be the real longevity killer of those units for home users taking the delete & download route. (Presumably the target demos are less connected, so fewer content swaps.) Combined with the non-swappable drive nature of the compact chassis just screams trouble to me for the smaller model.

I'd be curious to see what kind of wear protection the SSD version will provide, because that will be the real longevity killer of those units for home users taking the delete & download route. (Presumably the target demos are less connected, so fewer content swaps.) Combined with the non-swappable drive nature of the compact chassis just screams trouble to me for the smaller model.
How much? There are a couple of college funds that can be tapped for a good cause.

You might be in Sonic's service area (one site shows 50% chance,) though I have a hard time believing it's really only $50/month.

It's a bit harder to weed-out the residential options to search business-class only.

3,000 program/erase cycles per erase block is still pretty typical (and erase block sizes are tiny compared to movie size)- so I am guessing that will not be too much of a problem with a proper design. Fun fact - most modern managed flash chips have a mode where you can give up something like half the space for ten times the endurance. Don't need that feature for a movie server though!

Not exactly the same, but K is offering the ability to upgrade (trade-in) a full sized Terra chassis to a new Prime chassis (Silver) for $7,995 (msrp).

Jim
$8k as trade in credit or I give my full size 72TB Terra + $8k and get a new 88TB Terra Prime?

Back