• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Solution to Meld Physical Discs with Strato 4K Movie Player

I think it may indirectly affect us. I was told some months back by Kaleidescape that Blu-ray playback was hugely important because it was also the path to integrating the Premiere and Encore systems. That path seems to have changed with this new announcement.

Not sure what, if anything, has actually changed other than the modified upcoming rollout of this integration. We recently had a discussion in this forum as to what owner's were looking for, at a minimum, in the integration of the Premiere and Encore systems. This soon to be released function is, in part, a result of those discussions. I do know that resource management at K does have some affect on the approaches taken to improve system functions and services. There's a lot more going on at K than people realize, all being addressed with fewer resources than in the past. Management is doing the very best it can to accommodate as many systems as possible while at the same time working to move the company forward.

The guidance of management, and the expertise and dedicated work of the engineers at K has, in my view, provided us with a solution to the issues associated with running two separate systems. This was not easy to do given both the technological challenges and legal requirements of bringing this to owners.

I personally thank all of those at K responsible for this upcoming release.

Jim

Not sure what, if anything, has actually changed other than the modified upcoming rollout of this integration. We recently had a discussion in this forum as to what owner's were looking for, at a minimum, in the integration of the Premiere and Encore systems. This soon to be released function is, in part, a result of those discussions. I do know that resource management at K does have some affect on the approaches taken to improve system functions and services. There's a lot more going on at K than people realize, all being addressed with fewer resources than in the past. Management is doing the very best it can to accommodate as many systems as possible while at the same time working to move the company forward.

The guidance of management, and the expertise and dedicated work of the engineers at K has, in my view, provided us with a solution to the issues associated with running two separate systems. This was not easy to do given both the technological challenges and legal requirements of bringing this to owners.

I personally thank all of those at K responsible for this upcoming release.

Jim

I agree that the solution for integrating Premiere and Encore systems is an interesting way to solve that problem (and I am sure much appreciated by many on the forum).

I am hoping we get some guidance from Kaleidescape on a related issue - integrating the Strato and the Disc Server. Right now, there is no integrated view in Kaleidescape of Strato (4K) movies and Disc Server movies (just like there was no integrated view of Premiere movies and Encore movies).

This change is targeted at existing premier customers which is likely a large base. Good business to pull them into an integrated solution to move forward with. The Strato/DVD700 integration (besides the few of us that already have this), IMO is needed more for NEW customers. These customers likely have a pile of blurays that they want access to as they build their new store library. I still believe this is important. I guess you could add the switch to a Strato/Alto combo which would give you access to everything, but this is a bit strange especially for new customers. Still believe the new market would like to have a Strato and DV700. SJ

The only thing we'll get officially regarding the Strato/Vault compatibility is "it is still in development." I believe it is coming, timing is not being discussed, but it is not being ignored. It's just a bit more complex than expected, mostly because of 4K.

Jim

K controls the switch. Our control systems are not supposed to be affected. You should see this question answered in the soon to be released FAQ.
Jim's exactly right. We designed this so that there should be no control system changes in most cases.

You just control the Strato, and the Strato relays any relevant commands to the other player. All the playback-related messages (like progress, screen masking, lighting cues, etc.) get relayed back through the Strato. As far as the control system knows, there's only one player.

Lots more detail in the FAQ and video. Working on getting those to you ASAP.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to see what the FAQ covers. My situation is perhaps a little unusual as I have a Strato and 2 M500's (regions 1/A and 2/B). From what I have heard thus far the switch will only accommodate 1 player from each system. I may be out of luck trying to "integrate" all three.

Wayne

How does it work if there are multiple users wanting to watch different content concurrently? With only 1 HDMI output it doesn't seem possible. I was thinking of picking up a premier system with 3 players and a Terra server with 3 players. Each person in our household has their own content player - 3 directv hr24 and three roku ultra. We only have 2 oppo 203d - one in the rack and one for local playback as it is the least used. We use JAP hdmi over IP and control4

I'm sure the FAQ will explain a lot, but based on the info you should be fine. You will have three groups of two players, each with a Kscape switch. The output of each switch will require its own JAP transmitter.

Since the M players can play anything off the legacy server without conflict , and the strato players can play anything off the Terra without conflict, you won't ever have any conflicts.

Kevin D.

I may be out of luck trying to "integrate" all three.

Wayne

Someone might have thought of that, but I'm pretty sure the engineering department is going to sigh when Mike relays the message.

If designed into the software, it would be possible to Cascade two switches. M class players into port 1&2 of switch one, output to port 2 of switch two, strato into port 1 of switch two, etc.

Kevin D.

Hi Wayne,

You should be in fine shape. As you may know, on the Kaleidescape system, any imported DVD (of any region) can be played on any player. DVD region is only important at import time, or if you were to play from the tray.

For Blu-ray playback, region requirements are enforced at playback time. Because your system has players from both Blu-ray regions, either player can play discs from either region.

The addition of this "switch" being discussed makes this sound more complicated than it is in practice. K has actually done an excellent job of keeping this "integration" simple. Mike will be releasing a short video and a FAQ to help in better understanding the process involved, and at some point in the near future I'll post my impressions after installing the new switch and software in my system.

Jim

Hi Wayne,

You should be in fine shape. As you may know, on the Kaleidescape system, any imported DVD (of any region) can be played on any player. DVD region is only important at import time, or if you were to play from the tray.

For Blu-ray playback, region requirements are enforced at playback time. Because your system has players from both Blu-ray regions, either player can play discs from either region.

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, DVD playback is not as easy as you say. If a DVD is not recognized after import it will only play in the region specific player. This will occur when the only play option is "play disc." If you try you will receive the message that the disc will not play because it is the wrong region. I am not home right now so I can't recall the exact wording. Basically if discs are recognized and bookmarked, they play on any player. If not, then they are region specific. I have seen this many times when I forget to use the right player.

Blu-ray playback also has region related playback issues playing only on the region specific player when the playback option is "play disc." Again I am not in a position right now to supply details.

Perhaps my system is not doing everything it is supposed to. I will give you more specifics when I am home.

Thanks!

Wayne

Last edited:
Not sure what component you are referring to, if it's the "switch" being used, then No, there is no rack mounting needed, it's a relatively small box, but I do not know the dimensions. I tend to stick these on a wall or rack using velcro.

Jim

Will this interface be available for encore line till the Strato can read from vault? For e.g., if I had a Strato,vault and alto, will I see both downloaded and vault movies in one interface & playback automatically from alto or Strato depending on whether the movie is in vault or downloaded?

The interface is designed for Premiere and Encore systems to be able to display one unified library, it is not used with an Encore system (Alto, Strato, Terra) because it is not necessary. You can already link your Encore component libraries, but of course 4K content can only be played back from Strato. The Alto is the only Encore Player that works with content on a linked Vault, so any playback from the Vault would have to be from an Alto. That has not changed. Also, keep in mind that trying to get the Strato to work with a Vault is not guaranteed. It is something K has been working on when time allows, but has proved difficult. Like others, I interpreted "we are working on it" as "it's coming at some point," but I've been reminded by others that K has not said that capability is guaranteed, they've only said they would "try" to bring that capability to the Strato. I certainly wouldn't wait for it.

Jim

The interface is designed for Premiere and Encore systems to be able to display one unified library, it is not used with an Encore system (Alto, Strato, Terra) because it is not necessary. You can already link your Encore component libraries, but of course 4K content can only be played back from Strato. The Alto is the only Encore Player that works with content on a linked Vault, so any playback from the Vault would have to be from an Alto. That has not changed. Also, keep in mind that trying to get the Strato to work with a Vault is not guaranteed. It is something K has been working on when time allows, but has proved difficult. Like others, I interpreted "we are working on it" as "it's coming at some point," but I've been reminded by others that K has not said that capability is guaranteed, they've only said they would "try" to bring that capability to the Strato. I certainly wouldn't wait for it.

Jim

Thanks for the update Jim. This is certainly news to me. I thought they were working on and I kept hearing it was coming sometime in 2017. The fact that it is not guaranteed and there is a possibility that it may never be implemented is definitely something I am hearing for the first time. That is worrisome.

There are a lot of folks who got Strato and vault (I know of a couple) with the understanding that the integration was being worked on. Everyone knows that it got delayed, but this is the first time I am hearing that it may not be done.

While I understand that Alto can play from the vault and Strato only can play 4k movies, it is sort of like 2 different systems where I have to manually switch between them to look at and play the content I am looking for, very much similar to premier and encore. Why not do something similar for encore systems themselves where one interface would present everything and playback is seamless, regardless of whether it is premier, Strato to alto to vault or downloaded blu ray movie or 4k movie. The idea is for seamless interface, right?

Let's see how this turns out.

There is A LOT going on at K these days, hang in there. Frankly I didn't know that many people purchased a Strato and Vault new at the same time. While it's certainly possible for a dealer to misunderstand the connection, perhaps not ask the right questions of the buyer, I would hope dealer's are reminding buyer's that there is currently no support for Strato/Vault as a set. I hope I didn't miss that with any of my clients/friends, but with people buying multiple systems, several components, used components, etc., it is difficult to keep up with what they actually own, and without asking "how do you plan to use these" type questions, dealers may be selling the Strato/Vault sets prematurely.

Point is, no one should be buying a Strato and Vault intending to link the Vault to the Strato until that capability is officially announced by K, assuming it's ever released. I'll spend some more time looking into this and post an update asap.

Jim

There is A LOT going on at K these days, hang in there. Frankly I didn't know that many people purchased a Strato and Vault new at the same time. While it's certainly possible for a dealer to misunderstand the connection, perhaps not ask the right questions of the buyer, I would hope dealer's are reminding buyer's that there is currently no support for Strato/Vault as a set. I hope I didn't miss that with any of my clients/friends, but with people buying multiple systems, several components, used components, etc., it is difficult to keep up with what they actually own, and without asking "how do you plan to use these" type questions, dealers may be selling the Strato/Vault sets prematurely.

Point is, no one should be buying a Strato and Vault intending to link the Vault to the Strato until that capability is officially announced by K, assuming it's ever released. I'll spend some more time looking into this and post an update asap.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

To be fair, the couple of folks I know also own an Alto. When they bought it (few months before the temp closure), it was mentioned that the integration was in the works and should be out soon and so they also bought an alto to tide over in the meantime.

I personally have a similar setup and the only reason for my alto is for integration with vault. Once the integration is done, I will upgrade my alto to Strato and do away with alto.

I have also read many comments over time where folks are waiting for the integration before they get into Strato.

This integration is very important to many people as, without it, the system is not complete and will be disjointed. K store does not carry everything and so supporting blu ray discs is something that is definitely needed.

To take this even further, Even in 4k space, I am sure a 4k disc vault will definitely help given that K may not carry everything.

The ideal solution would be the full integration that K originally embarked on where premier and encore function as one coherent system. The next best option till that is done is what k is doing right now, but include all encore components as well into that strategy. If K can switch between premier and encore components seamlessly through a single interface, I am sure they can do the same for encore as well.

They will never be able to move to encore completely till the integration is done or they start carrying everything.

The best solution would be for Strato, terra and alto as they exist today along with a 4k vault that supports both blu ray and uhd. This along with the current seamless switching with premier for those who need it will be a complete seamless system. That's my 2 cents.

Anyway, thanks for all your updates and help Jim. Very much appreciated.

Back