• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movie Updates

Interesting. I assumed that in the movie store the "Manage > Movie Updates" menu would show me my purchased movies that had some change applied (such as new audio tracks). But I've never seen anything appear in this list (though I am also relatively new to K). And I also bought The Northman when it was released. So, this raises the question: what is the purpose of the Movie Updates menu? Is it just movies that are now available in a totally new format (e.g. was HD now UHD)?

Do you have the HD version downloaded? If not, you will not get an alert as there weren’t any changes to the 4K Versions. Extras will show up in the HD version so you just need to watch for the additions of extras.

John

Do you have the HD version downloaded? If not, you will not get an alert as there weren’t any changes to the 4K Versions. Extras will show up in the HD version so you just need to watch for the additions of extras.

John
Dang it, I failed to read that the post was referring to the HD version (not all versions). I have the 4K already downloaded. False alarm. :)

The Lost City (2022) in HDR/UHD from Paramount
Audio & Video Improvements

The Lost City (2022) in HDR/UHD from Paramount
Audio & Video Improvements
Hi, do you have any detail on what those improvements were? We bought and watched it on Sunday and as it’s not showing up in our movie updates section, I am assuming we just squeaked in with the new version. But i was wondering if it was a remix or was it adding a new format (e.g. Atmos). Thx.

Hi, do you have any detail on what those improvements were? We bought and watched it on Sunday and as it’s not showing up in our movie updates section, I am assuming we just squeaked in with the new version. But i was wondering if it was a remix or was it adding a new format (e.g. Atmos). Thx.
I downloaded this in HDR on May 12th, and it is not showing up under Movie Updates for me either.

Ambulance (2022) in HD from NBC Universal updated to Dolby TrueHD Atmos from DTS-HD Master 7.1

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) in HD from Lionsgate updated to Dolby TrueHD Atmos from DTS-HD Master 7.1

Relatively new owner here (last December) and only recall having an update appear under "Movie Updates" under the store browser's "Manage" tab, two or maybe three times.
As both of these titles are in our library, and both show ATMOS this morning, what would normally appear under "Movie Updates?"

The above updates are only for the HD versions. If you have these versions downloaded you should get a notification of the updates. If you only have the HDR version downloaded, you will not get a notification.

John

I got an update stating "Audio & Video Improvements" what does this mean?

I got an update stating "Audio & Video Improvements" what does this mean?
Just checking, When you say you get an update stating. Do you mean that if you choose Movie updates from the menu options that this Movie is listed with that info.

I don't know the answer to your question because I haven't yet seen a movie update - unless I am missing something. Thx

Just checking, When you say you get an update stating. Do you mean that if you choose Movie updates from the menu options that this Movie is listed with that info.

I don't know the answer to your question because I haven't yet seen a movie update - unless I am missing something. Thx
I got a notification I have an update when I clicked on it this movie showed up and the description was "Audio & Video Improvements".Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 3.49.27 PM.png

I got a notification I have an update when I clicked on it this movie showed up and the description was "Audio & Video Improvements".View attachment 2701
Hmm that reads as if it has automatically updated the movie for you. Is that right? I didn't know it did that. :) I assume it would list them out in Movie updates and you would need to process that by clicking on something. Not a problem, sounds better to me. The only thing I would be keen to know is what the changes were, which is I guess your question too. Thx

Hmm that reads as if it has automatically updated the movie for you. Is that right? I didn't know it did that. :) I assume it would list them out in Movie updates and you would need to process that by clicking on something. Not a problem, sounds better to me. The only thing I would be keen to know is what the changes were, which is I guess your question too. Thx
I applied the update it wasn't automated. Yup, I also would like to know what changed.

No, we don't auto-update at this time, because many times, customers aren't interested in the specific update (e.g., I will not be taking an update that added Portuguese subtitles, because that's not important to me. Someone else may find that update very welcome.)

"Audio & Video improvements" is basically a way of saying that we've done a fresh encode of the movie. That may have been done because we got new assets from the studio, or because we identified a tweak to the encoder settings that would produce better results. These are often pretty subtle -- updates that we make so that we always have the best possible version available, but perhaps not significant enough to warrant downloading a replacement. On occasion, these may be prompted by some specific issue that we either identified ourselves or that was reported to us. That's comparatively rare.

I hope that helps!

By the way, right now, flagging a movie as updated is at least partially an automated process. I believe there is some discussion about adding the ability for our content team to suppress notification of "Audio & Video Improvements" updates when it's a minor tweak, so that people aren't unnecessarily downloading a movie where they're going to see no difference.

I would suggest adding the ability to automate those and let the customers choose, I would opt-in for auto-updates in this case.

Definitely under consideration. We do want to provide customers with some controls on this, because some people do still have capped download plans and so on, so it will be a smallish project.

Back