• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Modular Disc Vault (KVAULT-10)

Is that with both of them going at the same time?

It sounds like the brick is external. Are we talking at the plug, in-line, or 2-piece in-line?

Whether one MDV or two MDV's the import time per movie is the same. I do have both MDVs importing now and some movies have imported in 40 minutes, and others in 2+ hours, but the average still seems to be in the 1 hour 25 minute range. That was also true when I only had one MDV in the system.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, it is a single line (approx. 5 feet in length) with the transformer (12v I think, I didn't check) contained in the plug. The other end is the typical single "round" (female) plug that attaches to the MDVs power receptacle on the back of the unit.

Jim

I also own the Halcro DM38 stereo amp, Halcro MC70 multi-channel amp, and I've just bought a pair of Halcro DM78 monoblocks. Together with the Halcro SSP180 that's close to $90K MSRP of Halcro gear there :eek:

I guess that's what Kaleidescape would like us all to do, then the lack of LPCM support in the M-Class players wouldn't be an issue any more.

I hear ya, I had the DM58's. Currently using the the MC series (obviously a step down) (50 and 20) for the 7.1, and I still love the sound. Not sure how the Bryston will sound in comparison, but I'll find out soon enough.

I doubt K is concerned with how we solve the LPCM issue, but as I mentioned in another thread, they never adopted a "too bad, deal with it" attitude. On the contrary, the decision to go with the current M-Series functionality was driven mostly by a desire to make the Players available as soon as possible, and there was/is a concern for those owner's that have audio equipment that is not able to decode the BR bitstream audio, but the fact is, there are not many of you (us) out here (and one of "us" is MM, K's founder and CEO!!:eek:).

K did investigate the possibility of building a work-around solution, but the cost and time involved is prohibitive (I know, I looked into it as well).

That said, I hear ya, but this "horse" has been shot, stabbed, strangled, poisoned, quartered, burned at the stake, and the residue is now a bar of soap. We have to move on, hence the Bryston piece for me.

Jim

Last edited:
How about send a MDV to Middle Atlantic to get measured up for rack mounting hardware

Done! Search for "Kaleidescape" on their RSH custom shelf page:
http://www2.middleatlantic.com/RSH/mainRSH.asp

The shelf is 5 rack units tall. The part number is RSH4A5X KALEIDESCAPE KVAULT10.

They also noted that Crestron DMC-DVI and DVPHD are NOT compatible with the MDV

By which we mean that the USB extension of the DMC-DVI and DVPHD are USB1.1, not USB2.0, so you cannot extend the USB between the player and the Modular Disc Vault through the Crestron device.

I'm not sure how to understand the above. I currently have a DVPHD connected to an M500 via component and the M500 also is connected via HDMI to a receiver. I can watch bluray using both the receiver and the DVPHD. I assume there is downrez going on with the M500 bluray using the DVPHD, but I'm using a smaller window when viewing so that's acceptable.

Am I going to lose this functionality when I move to an MDV for bluray storage

You won't lose any functionality when you add the Modular Disc Vault. There is no problem connecting the video outputs to the DVPHD. You'll need to connect the player directly to the disc vault via USB, or use a USB 2.0 extender as cinelife mentioned.

Tom,

I see you are still working weekends on K's behalf, thanks for those answers!!

Thanks also to K for thinking ahead with the MA support.

Jim

Last edited:
Another update. Importing and playback is going well. The MDV is silent when not moving the carousel to change importing discs.

I also forgot to mention that I was surprised the MDV didn't have issues considering the way it was handled by FedEx (I received both units upside down and one was actually dropped onto the counter at FedEx when it slipped from the clerks hands). For those that remember the original bulk loader, it didn't take much to damage the carousel in shipping requiring a service call with K. For such a lite piece of equipment it seems to hold up well.:)

Jim

I also have an MDV and I love it! Completely fixes the issues that many have complained about since the M500 and M300 have come out...having to put the discs in the players...I have created many Blu Ray scripts now and absolutely love it. Avatar, Quantum of Solace, U2 360, etc...on one playlist...so impressive when people come over. I also have a script that has Blu Ray aquariums on it, and always wows people...now I have better control and when the BD ends, it starts again since it is a script! Great addition to my system, to be sure. Telling everyone to get it...really enhances the experience.
I also got the Middle Atlantic shelf for it, and it works great, and integrates nicely. It is in fact 5U.
Jeff

Agree Jeff, it really has made a huge difference here as well. I didn't realize I had so many BR movies that were still in the original wrapping, nice to finally get them out and into the system.:)

Jim

To me that is one of the best things about Kaleidescape- it liberates your library. Once your library goes over a certain number, its nearly impossible to remember whats in there and thus when it comes time to watch something you tend to just watch the big name films. With Kaleidescape the just as deserving but perhaps smaller name films now get equal billing.

Here is a crude photo of the rack from my iPhone...

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 63
Will try to take a better photo later...and the faceplate definitely tones down the ugliness of the unit...wish it was white with blue, but i am just glad they got it to market! It makes a big difference in using the system...I have made scripts with BD material and they are fun!

Thanks for posting the pic!:)

Jim

Good news for anyone waiting for their vault, or waiting to order one. K is actually ahead of schedule on the MDV, meaning current orders "should" all be filled by mid-December.

Jim

I have made scripts with BD material and they are fun!

Hi! Your comment about scripts has me excited....but confused. I received this directly from Kaleidescape Support on Monday:

"Lastly, be advised that it is not possible at this time to add Blu Ray content as scripting steps."

I'm wondering if you meant that you *actually* created scripts with BD material or something else? I was hoping to create my own Pixar Digital Shorts reel, but since more than half of my shorts are on BDs, didn't think I'd be able to...

Once you add the Modular Disk Vault to your system, you can include BD steps into your scripts...it will upgrade your software automatically.
Pretty neat stuff.

Back