• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Modular Disc Vault (KVAULT-10)

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
As mentioned in another thread, I received the first of two MDV's today. I'll post a few notes, and hopefully a couple of pictures, but I lack Josh's skill at taking and transferring photo's.:)

The first very noticable fact is this device is VERY LIGHTWEIGHT, perhaps 6 or 7 pounds. The case is constructed of a hard Black plastic which I'm sure contributes to it being lightweight. This is not a complaint, actually far from it, it was very easy to move around and finally assume a temporary position at the bottom of a TV stand. I attempted to place it in an empty 4U rack space, but it came up short by 1/2 an inch. So 5U of empty rack space is required and you will need to place the unit on a rack "shelf" as there is no way to "ear" rack mount the unit.

The measurements are 17" in depth, 14" wide and 7-1/4" in height (give or take 1/8"). When I first viewed the early release photo's I wondered why the unit had that four corner indented look. It was embarrassingly obvious once the unit arrived that these indentations allow for additional stacked vaults to sit snuggly on top of each other. No ventilation is required.

CONNECTIONS:

Connecting to a system is as easy as it gets.
1. Place the unit within a few feet of an M-Class Player (M300/M500) (or extend the supplied USB cable).
2. Connect the USB cable to the MDV and M-Player.
3. Connect the supplied power cable (transformer) to a power outlet (recommend grounded/surge protected).
4. Load discs per the instructions (see LOADING below)

Once the MDV powers up (automatic after power is supplied to MDV) it will go through a series of tests that take a couple of minutes. While this is happening, "000" will be displayed and flashing. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOAD DISCS WHILE THE FLASHING "000" IS BEING DISPLAYED. Once the flashing stops you should see a number (from 1-100) (probably a 1) and this signals you can now begin loading discs. Also note that if you are watching a movie on the Player connected to the MDV, it will be stopped when the MDV powers up and connects to the Player. The Player actually cycles Off and then back On and this interrupts Movie playback. You will also see a message on screen indicating the vault is connected. You do not need to set anything in order to integrate the vault. It uses the Player's settings to link with the Server (so no LAN settings/grouping, etc. is required), and as I said, it is VERY VERY EASY. You'll be up and running in less than 5 minutes!!

LOADING:

Disc loading is similar to the old bulk loader, just insert the discs one at a time (WITH THE DISC LABEL FACING TO THE RIGHT, as you face the MDV) (The word "Label" sits to the right of the opening to remind you). The MDV will actually "pull" the disc into the vault so do not "force" the disc (slight pressure is all that's required for the MDV to take in the disc).

The MDV initially loads the discs by spreading them out at different intervals around the carousel in order to spread the weight evenly throughout the carousel (smart!!). A number is displayed showing you the slot the disc will enter. I elected to start with 16 BR discs and the number sequence was 1,9, 26, 40, etc (or something close).

The MDV will keep accepting discs until it is full or until you stop inserting discs. If you stop, but still have open slots, the MDV will wait a few minutes to be sure you are done loading and then will go through the process of "Identifying" each disc. Only after it identifies all loaded discs will it begin to import. You can see the identification progress on the Disc Vault page. The 16 discs I loaded were all identified, and importing began within approximately 5 or so minutes. The first disc (Toy Story) took 1 hr 26 minutes to import. I intentionally added Avatar to the load to see how the MDV would handle a disc previously imported. It clearly recognized the disc was already on the server and the title "color" changed on the disc vault page to reflect it was imported. The Import page also displays importing progress and provides the import time once importing is complete. Below is a pic of the vault and one pic from the Disc Vaults page.

076.jpg

080.jpg

The M-Player (even the M300) Blue lights will also flash while discs are importing.

I will add additional discs to fill up the MDV after these initial 16 discs have been imported. I'll report back the total time needed to import.

Also, Avatar and both Toy Story's had movie start times of 5 seconds after selecting "Play Movie." That's only a second or two off the DVD version start times! This is a function of the new KEAOS 4.1, currently in beta. (See Tom's comment below).

Considering all of the controversy surrounding the BR implementation to this point, I'm happy to see this solution. It may be a compromise, but so far this MDV has exceeded my expectations and I could certainly be happy with several of these units in my system.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Jim for the information and update. Now we just have to crack the issue of LPCM multichannel audio.

Also, I can only report on Avatar, Toy Story, and Toy Story2 (Blu-ray obviously) at this point, but it appears using the vault in the system speeds up playback. Avatar and both Toy Story's had movie start times of 5 seconds after selecting "Play Movie." That's only a second or two off the DVD version start times!

Blu-ray movies start significantly faster in KEAOS 4.1 whether or not they are in a disc vault. (Of course using a disc vault cuts down the biggest chunk of time - putting the disc in the tray!)

A couple of updates:

It took 8 hours, 43 minutes to import the Toy Story Trilogy and Back to the Future Trilogy, as follows:

TS1 1:26
TS2 1:26
TS3 1:36

BTTF1 1:24
BTTF2 1:24
BBTF3 1:27

I went back and looked at import times for Red Cliff (2 Discs), LOTR, Avatar, and 2012. They averaged about 1 hour 8 minutes using an M500 Player, so either the movies listed above are longer, or the MDV is slightly slower at imports (not unexpected given the through-the-player-control using USB). In any case, these time differences are negligible IMO, and the benefit of loading a bunch of discs and just letting them import is well worth a slightly longer import time (assuming it is in fact a bit slower and not just movie length).

Also, another member was kind enough to let me know that the improved playback access speed is a function of the new KEAOS (4.1.0), and is not related to the MDV operation. This means that once 4.1 makes it to your system (it is still in beta but I believe it is expected to be released beginning in January), you should see these faster BR "Playback" start times (among other improvements). I had incorrectly guessed that the playback start times were improved because of how the system reads the stored disc in the MDV versus an M500 Player. I'll correct my comment above.

I'll be adding in the second MDV later today, connecting it to an M500 Player, looking to see how the two function from different locations. Should be no issues if this first MDV is any indication.

Many thanks to Tom and all the guys at K that worked so hard to get this first vault deployed. Personally, at this point I'm completely satisfied with it's operation. It is wonderful to have that superb Kaleidescape user experience available for my BR collection and after the vault is completely filled and just working in the background, the system will function as if the vault doesn't even exist. NICE!!!!:D

Jim

Last edited:
It sure got whacked by the ugly stick. What are the number buttons etc on it used for? I'm thinking, hide it behind a 5U face plate with a slot cut in it to access the loader.

How about send a MDV to Middle Atlantic to get measured up for rack mounting hardware.

Can link up to 127 of these things via USB hubs, that's 12,700 BR discs!

http://www.dacal.com.tw/product4.html

..oh, but the Kaleidescape implementation of it requires each to be connected to an M-Class player, so can't hang 127 of them via hubs off the back of 1 player.

Last edited:
I would think that if you had 12,700 BR discs, you would have substantially more than one player and it would take quite a few servers with today's 2TB drives.

I know we're sore over the PCM thing but I'm not really bothered by the look of the unit- it goes in a closet or rack and does its job in the background. I think we would have valid criticism if it didn't do its job in the typical Kaleidescape way. As Jim reports, it sure looks like it lives up to the billing.

The second MDV arrived yesterday and will be setup to import today.

Jim

...it goes in a closet or rack and does its job in the background...

That is, if it was within USB range of the player...hence ethernet link would have been nice. Anyway, it's not for me, I'm waiting for IDVMk2 with PCM.

This was also posted in the other MDV related thread.

Just confirming for those that asked...the supplied USB cable is 6 feet in length.

Also, in response to a question I had about extending the USB connection by using Cat5e/6 tied together with USB converter's on each end, K indicated that several USB components are currently being used with the MDV in their testing. The key seems to be that you MUST use devices that are USB 2.0 as they found USB 1.1 devices to be problematic.

So far K "unofficially" has determined that the following devices seem to work fine with the vault (Note: They are not supporting ANY of these products, just noting that they seem to work in their testing environment, so caveat emptor):

Nexxtech 2616526 7 Port powered USB Hub
Ultra ULT40370 Ultra X-Stream 15' A-Male to A-Female USB 2.0 Exten. Cable
Cables2go 28104 15' USB 2.0 Cable A to B
iCron USB Ranger 2101 USB 2.0 Cat5 Extender
Gefen EXT-USB2.0-LR Cat 5 USB 2.0 Extender

They also noted that Crestron DMC-DVI and DVPHD are NOT compatible with the MDV

The bigger point is we should be able to extend the reach of the MDV.

Jim

Who me?? Halcro SSP180, not looking at changing it anytime soon.

I really liked the Halcro gear (own the 80 version, without the LPCM board) and was sorry to see them leave the U.S. Market (I think they may still be selling from Australia). We were dealers for several years. I currently use the 80's 7.1 analogs directly from a Sony ES2000 BR Player, but now plan to pick up Bryston's upcoming (January) SP3 release which will decode all HD Codecs internally allowing me to move to K's M500/MDV setup for all of my screens.

Jim

The second MDV is now up and running. Integrated seamlessly within the system. Both report together in the Disc Vaults Tab on the User Home Page. The imported BR movies listed on the Disc Vaults page are listed alphabetically and any newly identified (waiting to be imported) BR is listed accordingly and the Title is displayed in White letters until imported. Still averaging 1:25 import time, but did have a couple of BR import in less than an hour.

I inadvertantly loaded two DVD's (grabbed the wrong disc from the multidisc case) and the MDV recognized them as DVD during the identification process and sent me a message on the Disc Vault page indicating that two DVD's were present and would be automatically ejected. They were, one at a time, waiting for me to remove the first before ejecting the second.

Forgot to mention, the MDV's also show up in the Component's Tab of the Installer page. Provides detailed info about that specific MDV, including Slots open, Content, Status (currently importing, etc.), and the Player ID it is connected to for control.

Very nice work with the GUI.

Jim

I really liked the Halcro gear...

I also own the Halcro DM38 stereo amp, Halcro MC70 multi-channel amp, and I've just bought a pair of Halcro DM78 monoblocks. Together with the Halcro SSP180 that's close to $90K MSRP of Halcro gear there :eek:

...but now plan to pick up Bryston's upcoming (January) SP3 release which will decode all HD Codecs internally allowing me to move to K's M500/MDV setup for all of my screens.

I guess that's what Kaleidescape would like us all to do, then the lack of LPCM support in the M-Class players wouldn't be an issue any more.

This was also posted in the other MDV related thread.

They also noted that Crestron DMC-DVI and DVPHD are NOT compatible with the MDV

Jim

Jim:

I'm not sure how to understand the above. I currently have a DVPHD connected to an M500 via component and the M500 also is connected via HDMI to a receiver. I can watch bluray using both the receiver and the DVPHD. I assume there is downrez going on with the M500 bluray using the DVPHD, but I'm using a smaller window when viewing so that's acceptable.

Am I going to lose this functionality when I move to an MDV for bluray storage?

Thanks,
Jay

Back