• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Modular Disc Vault (KVAULT-10)

....word just in....Kaleidescape has advised that Toy Story 3 DVD has a known import issue. They've ordered a copy of the title to rectify the problem.

Huh?

(I will try and import again and let the import finish this time. Just curious, maybe I stopped it too soon. It definately was identified, and had started importing, but I pulled at with "26 minutes remaining" showing on the screen.)

Jim

Just put TS3 DVD back in and it is currently importing, we'll see if it actually completes the import. I'll also test playback (if it imports).

Jim

The disc (TS3 DVD) imported in 22 minutes and played back without any problem (jumped through the chapters).

Jim

Maybe it's the PAL version that has the issue...that's the one that won't import for me.

Didn't realize it was PAL. I guess that could be the difference.:(

Jim

Wow! Those times are smoking fast! Also a lot more consisten. You have like a 1 second spread between all times, and I have as much as 4. Interesting... It has to be the better LAN gear or perhaps just more optimized settings of your LAN. Mine is just an off-the-shelf 8-port Gigabit switch, with several other components hung off the other ports. I might send this directly to the guys at K and ask if they have any other ideas or suggestions.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to check! You win the Speed Crown! :)
John
Could it be a difference in servers, between Jim's 3U and John's 1U?

Good point, Tom B. suggested this as well, but not sure.

Jim

Slightly off topic, but I noticed you imported Toy Story 3. I tried to import the DVD version of this title yesterday and it says "DVD cannot be imported"...I didn't even get the coverart when I loaded it in the disc tray. Don't suppose you have the DVD version of this as well, see if it will import in your system?

Probably a silly question, but is this a retail-purchased version of the movie? That "DVD cannot be imported" message is what you get when you try to import a rental DVD. If you purchased a formerly rented copy from a video store, you'll get that message, but you can email Kaleidescape with the information and they'll unblock it on your system if you explain that you purchased a rental-release copy from a video store.

Could it be differences in networking equipment? Maybe there's some low-end router, multiple hops across LAN subnets with low-end switches, or something old on the network without proper segmentation causing the net to drop down to 100BaseT speeds from the normal 1000BaseT speeds?

The only guy on this forum (that I know of), besides Josh, that can afford ANY kind of Lamborghini is YOU!!!:)

(Actually, MM posted here a couple of times, so have to include him.)

Jim

hey, my daily driver is actually a Prius I'll have you know! :)

And if people have that kind of money, the new movie playback status symbol is a Prima... Kaleidescape is about to become "mid-market"! ;)

hey, my daily driver is actually a Prius I'll have you know! :)

And if people have that kind of money, the new movie playback status symbol is a Prima... Kaleidescape is about to become "mid-market"! ;)

Right...but I said "can afford":D

I saw that offer and investigated the possibility, but the sight is basically an email drop for now. The $20K is not unreasonable, but I sure wouldn't want to pay $500 for movies I didn't want (I think you have to buy ALL new releases, but I've not confirmed that for sure. The other issue is that at present only Universal is onboard (they invested). Need more studios.

What would sell me for sure is being able to download to a K system!!:cool:

Jim

Probably a silly question, but is this a retail-purchased version of the movie? That "DVD cannot be imported" message is what you get when you try to import a rental DVD.

Actually, Josh, the message reported when you attempt to import a rental DVD is "Cannot import rental disc".

...is this a retail-purchased version of the movie?...

Yes, I've seen this a few times before with Disney titles. I send the disc to Kaleidescape and they fix it, when the disc comes back I can import it. I don't know what they do to fix these import issues when they get the disc but whatever it is solves the problem.

That aside. I imported The Incredibles and it imported OK, although it did hang towards the end. However, on playback from the server it started to skip and finally reached a point where it could proceed no more and a warning message appeared on the screen saying the disc couldn't be read and might be scratched or dirty. A bit weird I thought, a warning that the disc might be scratched during playback from the server.

Could it be differences in networking equipment? Maybe there's some low-end router, multiple hops across LAN subnets with low-end switches, or something old on the network without proper segmentation causing the net to drop down to 100BaseT speeds from the normal 1000BaseT speeds?

I'm thinking that it has to be the Network, though the 3U might be inherently faster. Note to Kaleidescape: Overnight me a fully loaded 3U for *immediate* testing!!! :)

All of my K'scape components (1U server, M500, M300) are connected to a Netgear Gigaport switch which is then connected to a 100BaseT Router. It isn't a managed switch or any special dedicated port assignments or anything, so I'm sure that with more optimized equipment, I would notice a pick-up in speed. Though, really, starts in 6 seconds or starts in 10 seconds isn't something that ruins our movie watching experience, and for the price of REAL networking components (my switch was $60) I can live with those 4 seconds!

Actually, Josh, the message reported when you attempt to import a rental DVD is "Cannot import rental disc".

oops... i stand corrected.

Back