• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

m500 no longer reading DVDs

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I have two M500 players in a grandfathered system. Each happens to be paired in co-star setup to a strato, though i doubt that's relevant.

Seems the internal disc player is failing or dead on both of these units. No matter what DVD or Blu-ray I put in, it spins for bit with some flashing blue lights, then kicks it out and says that the disc wasn't a blu-ray or DVD. Tried like a dozen known-good discs, including some never before played or used... same thing each time, on each of these M500s.

Is this a known problem with older M500s? Is there a way to cheaply replace the optical drive in these units to get them functioning again?

Thanks for any help,

Last edited:
Try a new optical drive with sata connectors. You should be able to find lightly used one for around the same price as the lens cleaner disc ;)

Try a new optical drive with sata connectors. You should be able to find lightly used one for around the same price as the lens cleaner disc ;)
you can put any SATA optical drive in this?

try the one listed here

ha, oops... it was such a useful thread that Jim already "stuck" it to the top of this forum, and i didn't even see it. had everything i needed. Thanks @Vodder! and @Substance who resisted the temptation to call me a dummy for not even finding the #1 post that answered my question on my own forum! :)

ha, oops... it was such a useful thread that Jim already "stuck" it to the top of this forum, and i didn't even see it. had everything i needed. Thanks @Vodder! and @Substance who resisted the temptation to call me a dummy for not even finding the #1 post that answered my question on my own forum! :)
No man, don’t feel that way. There is a vast amount of knowledge in this forum. You can’t possibly know or remember it all. Let us know how your disc optics cleaning and/or disc drive surgery goes;)

$9 optical drive cleaner, as recommended, eventually fixed the problem. Ran the headcleaning cycle like 5 times, then the discs were able to be read. Still seems fragile/iffy, but at least i was able to get this set of 3 discs loaded. Thanks!

Any hints on how to get an Alto to read a cleaner disk instead of trying to catalog it?

“the inserted disc is not a DVD or a Blu-ray Disc.” :)

I pressed the “import” button with the disc in the tray. It spun in there for over an hour before rejecting it, like normal, with the fading in-and-out blue lights. Did that 3 times. Problem fixed.

I pressed the “import” button with the disc in the tray. It spun in there for over an hour before rejecting it, like normal, with the fading in-and-out blue lights. Did that 3 times. Problem fixed.
Perhaps it’s a limitation of the slot-loader, but the only thing it will let me do is eject.

EAE317FC-4A91-4D2F-B8B7-10E16DAC951C.jpeg

Altos wouldn't have an import option, which means cataloging is most they would be willing to do, so it will likely take more cycles to have the same effect.

Back