• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Last movie watched

zatchury

I thought it might be fun if we had an ongoing thread where we could all share the last movie we watched. I know I’d enjoy hearing from others about what was the centerpiece of your last movie night.

Tonight, my husband somewhat randomly had the urge to rewatch Tron: Legacy. I saw it twice back when it was new, but Letterboxd tells me I hadn’t seen it since then — more than 10 years now. K to the rescue! It’s absolutely the best thing to me about K that we can so often think of a movie and be watching it just a short time later in the best available quality.

Tron: Legacy was a variable aspect ratio release on Blu-ray, so the fact that K has the ‘Scope version was icing on the cake: The movie was a blast to watch on our ‘Scope screen. But the real stunner was the lossless soundtrack. It’s an incredible 7.1 mix, and hearing Daft Punk’s score again was a real treat.

What was the last movie you watched?

Well, I will play :)

We watched Thor: Love and Thunder last night and I was intrigued to hear what other people think about the movie from different perspectives anyway and so perhaps this triggers that.

Background would be that I am of sufficient age to have bought/read the Early Thor comics as they were issued. Thor was always one of my favourites although the characterisation in today's movies is difficult recognise. This being relevant to what follows:

Visually, it was probably up there with recent Marvel fair with plenty going on and at speed. We just watched it as a movie rather than study the screen and audio specifically but my reaction would be that is more of the same visually. Audio wise I admit to being a bit disappointed and perhaps not for the first time that the Marvel movies don't often make the most of Atmos or so it seems to me. There are some but not enough.
Plot and content - hmmm, Early Marvel movies were so successful for me because they took the superheroes seriously enough to make them look real and have characters but they retained that twinkle in the eye that always came across from the comics. Serious action movie with a plot but with a nod to the funny moments. Now it's feeling closer to slapstick comedy with superhero costumes. This opinion I realise is from having a perception of the characters before the movies but regardless of that it feels as if the Director has gone all in and pushed the Ragnorak experiemnt even further.

Despite all of that, we laughed at the right bits, enjoyed the tongue in cheek sillyness and it wasn't a waste of an evening but I just wonder what it might have been if the characters and plot were taken slightly more seriously by the Director and the franchise had held its course. I do like to think Stan Lee would have steered it back a little. Also a promising character, Korg, seems to have suffered in all of this moving from a genuinely funny new character when first appearing on the screen and somehow moving to a strange Kenneth Williams/Charles Haughtry character. We managed to enjoy it more that this description suggests I suspect.

I agree on Thor, I liked it but was slightly disappointed in the directing, the sound was disappointing too

Marcel the Shell with Shoes on, (( plus - Top Gun: Maverick. (That is how Atmos should have been with Thor L&T.))

terrific movie.

Not sure if TV series would count, but I did find myself with a few hours I wanted to kill by watching something this weekend and decided The King's Man fit that particular bill.

Definitely a different tone than the first two, and amazing how well the story was woven between historical events. Not sure why they went the standard "no people or events are real, and any similarity is coincidental" disclaimer, instead of the based on historical events/people with creative license version. I never saw any of the theatres near me running it in IMAX (or Dolby Cinema,) so no great loss catching it at home first.

Extras ran longer than the movie so kudos to Fox for including them.

Watched Bullet Train today. We all enjoyed it and tbh it was a lot better than we had expected. I was worried that it might be over reliant upon the ‘names’ in the cast but it was enhanced by the actors who kept the tone and balance between action, humour and intrigue under control. Nice one.

Also watched See How They Run. Having sen the trailer I was looking forward to a quirky but amusing romp around a classic genre being played for laughs but it appears the trailer had been the funny bits and the rest was a struggle. If you are going to watch it, give the Trailer a miss.

Watched Bullet Train today. We all enjoyed it and tbh it was a lot better than we had expected. I was worried that it might be over reliant upon the ‘names’ in the cast but it was enhanced by the actors who kept the tone and balance between action, humour and intrigue under control. Nice one.

Also watched See How They Run. Having sen the trailer I was looking forward to a quirky but amusing romp around a classic genre being played for laughs but it appears the trailer had been the funny bits and the rest was a struggle. If you are going to watch it, give the Trailer a miss.
Watched See How They Run today and couldn't agree more with you. Maybe I was expecting too much. I could tell what they were going for, just not sure it worked.

Watched 8-Bit Christmas tonight. Good family movie that was full of nostalgia.

Watched See How They Run today and couldn't agree more with you. Maybe I was expecting too much. I could tell what they were going for, just not sure it worked.

Watched 8-Bit Christmas tonight. Good family movie that was full of nostalgia.

We watched 8 bit last holidays when it was out on some streaming service. Think it was HBO Max. Great for a child of the 80s for sure.

+1 on feeling let down by See How They Run. I enjoyed the first hour or so, but found the ending -- and the movie overall -- unsatisfying.

We rewatched the Star Trek Kelvin trilogy on K recently. I adore the 2009 Star Trek, but the big revelation for me was how much more I enjoyed Beyond this time around -- a ton of fun. And they all looked and sounded great on K; I particularly enjoyed the option to watch the 4K 'Scope transfer of Into Darkness on our CIH screen with Atmos.

We watched Lightyear on my birthday last week. I liked it. Nice use of HDR I thought, especially with the space suits and when they went to the dark side of the planet. My wife and kids are still trying to make sense of the time dilation concept. :)

We watched Three Thousand Years of Longing last week and I was pretty disappointed. It wasn't bad, I was just expecting more, both visually and in terms of the story. I give it a solid Meh.

Watched Rock Star last night, as a high school guitar-playin' wannabe rock star in the late 80s, I absolutely adore this movie, and the music is great. I'm doubtful it'll ever see a 4K remaster, but here's to wishful thinking.

I picked up Rescue Dawn from the recent Veteran's day sale and enjoyed it last night. It's a Werner Herzog flic based on a true story that was well done. The video (HD) and audio (DTS HD Master 5.1) were nothing exceptional, but not a detractor, and I actually enjoyed the music (by Klaus Badelt). It is definitely worth the 2 hours if you like a good P.O.W. war movie.

Andy

Watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles the other night (HD Version). Always a classic.

Now that the HDR update has been released, would love to hear any feedback on the difference in quality from those that bit the bullet and upgraded… the reviews of the 4k blu-ray have not been favorable (although either were reviews of the original blu-ray) so interested how K compares. K’s file size looks like it would fit on a BD-66 so I assume it’s the same transfer as the 4k blu-ray.

Everything, everywhere all at once. - had this on our list for some time but having watched the Dr Strange multiverse movie we left it a while. I should probably say up front that the whole multiverse concept leaves me a little cold in part from where it’s used as a lazy way out of a storyline cul de sac. But once that genie is let out of its bottle there are literally no barriers and it starts to lose its meaning (to me). Not a great articulation. I should say that I did enjoy the Strange movie despite that and was optimistic about this one.Got around to it in the end. Still not sure what I think about it tbh. All of the components are good, well executed, looks, sound, actors, characters pace etc. The first two thirds of it as the premise unfolds worked very well but the last third just seemed to peter out into a disappointing and unfulfilling ending for me.

Sum of all Fears - tough ask because I had seen this years ago and just finished listening again to the outstanding audiobook of this worryingly relevant yarn by Tom Clancy which is 33 hours long :) So how do you cram that into 2 hrs? Answer is that you don’t. You make a movie with the same names and rearrange roles, timeline, ‘baddies’, locations to tell a different action story set against a similar but barely recognisable backcloth. As a stand-alone movie and ignoring the book I think it was fine but if you are trying to match it to the book you are screwed before it gets 5 mins in. I suspect the latter ruined it for most Clancy fans and the heart of the book that centres on the fragility of the control of Governments, leaders. That and the risk of accidental Armageddon due to the frailty of human beings and their egos when under intolerable pressure was glossed over and lost. Imagining this for real with any of the politicians in the hot seats was perhaps too worrying to put into a movie but i would love to see it skilfully played out but perhaps it lends itself better to a series where they have time to expose the detail in the way Clancy’s books do.

Watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles today. A Thanksgiving tradition.
We wanted to watch this last night and I was shocked to find that I didn't actually own it on any platform. I could've sworn I had it at one point. Bought the UHD version on K even after the disappointing reviews of the 4K remaster. It is definitely a disappointing remaster, but not terrible. It's somewhat of a dark and grey movie anyway.

I'm not mad, just disappointed. It's still an awesome movie.

We wanted to watch this last night and I was shocked to find that I didn't actually own it on any platform. I could've sworn I had it at one point. Bought the UHD version on K even after the disappointing reviews of the 4K remaster. It is definitely a disappointing remaster, but not terrible. It's somewhat of a dark and grey movie anyway.

I'm not mad, just disappointed. It's still an awesome movie.
Agreed, it's not terrible, not great. Still enjoyable to watch.

Denise Calls Up - found this due to K, had never heard of it before. Interesting concept film, well done, but understandably won't be for everyone. If you are of a certain age and remember the mid-90's well, when communications technology was just starting to blossom into what it is today, I think it could be a fun watch.

Back