• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape Will Release Upgrade Details This Week

Hi Wayne!

Hi Mike,

If I buy the Strato player without the 6TB drive, can it be added later?

No, sorry, this is not possible.

If I do integrate the Premiere and Encore systems as is proposed, I understand that I must opt into the Disney "option." That is OK by me. If any other studios follow Disney's lead, would we then be automatically opted into those as well?

The amendment to the Service and License Agreement is specific to Disney, so I do not believe it would cover any other content. Beyond that, I shouldn't speculate since it's a hypothetical situation.

Scott, you are welcome. Perhaps we can move this to another thread?

I think that would be a good idea. Thanks to Jerry and HiFiGuy for contributing ideas. I'm afraid today was bit bit of a busy day so I didn't have time to analyze Scott's question in detail, but I'd be happy to chat on another thread about it!

Can I re-initialize 6TB drives that are in my 3U and use them in a Terra server? What about 4TB drives?

John

I think that would be a good idea. Thanks to Jerry and HiFiGuy for contributing ideas. I'm afraid today was bit bit of a busy day so I didn't have time to analyze Scott's question in detail, but I'd be happy to chat on another thread about it!

Thank you for your willingness to chat on this issue. I have started a new thread in the Hardware and Software Setup section of the forum where I summarized the issues and suggestions so far along with my current thoughts. I am not sure how to directly link to my new post in this message.

Here is the link to the new thread: http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2119

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I re-initialize 6TB drives that are in my 3U and use them in a Terra server? What about 4TB drives?

John

Hi John,

No, I'm sorry, this sort of transfer of the drives is not supported for a number of reasons.

With regard to Disney content, on the Kaleidescape store website there's a link that lists current Disney titles affected that would be restricted from importing to our servers if we opt into the Disney agreement. Has anyone spent the time to look through these titles and figure out how many/which ones are not currently available on the store for download?

With regard to Disney content, on the Kaleidescape store website there's a link that lists current Disney titles affected that would be restricted from importing to our servers if we opt into the Disney agreement. Has anyone spent the time to look through these titles and figure out how many/which ones are not currently available on the store for download?

I thought the list was representative instead of exhaustive?

2. No, the Premiere system will not be able to catalog discs, but this would not be useful anyway.

If you wanted to do D2D, and the disk didn't include UV to skip it in the first place (or you needed guarantee of applicable systems,) then it would be useful.

If you wanted to do D2D, and the disk didn't include UV to skip it in the first place (or you needed guarantee of applicable systems,) then it would be useful.

I believe you've misunderstood me. You could catalog the disc and/or do disc-to-digital on the Encore system. Once you've put the Premiere system into the mode where it is allowing the Encore system to play its stored movies, it is really not managing any part of the movie library. It's just storing the content. Since cataloged discs have no content to store, the Premiere system doesn't have anything to do with cataloging. You would instead catalog them on the Encore system.

So if we leave the player/vault attached to the Encore-side, it can catalog, attach to the Premier-side for importing, and it just imports w/o option to catalog?

If I upgrade in the UK do I lose the ability to import Disney DVDs and blurry even though Disney is not available in the uk store?

So if we leave the player/vault attached to the Encore-side, it can catalog, attach to the Premier-side for importing, and it just imports w/o option to catalog?

Yes and no. This gets a little bit complicated because we're expecting that the feature that allows the Encore-connected vault to be used to import discs to the Premiere system is not going to be ready in the first release, and will follow. So, let me describe the end state, and then I'll describe the temporary intermediate state.

Let's assume for simplicity that you're not planning to use the music functionality on Premiere. Let's also stipulate that the Disc Vault really belongs on the Encore system, because one of its functions is to provide disc presence verification, and it needs to be part of the Encore system to do that, since that's where content is being played.

End State
You would have your Disc Vault(s) and all of your players on Encore. A disc inserted into the vault would be automatically imported onto the Premiere system.

If you wanted to do disc-to-digital, you would just insert the disc into one of your players, and when the movie detail sheet appears on screen, you could do the disc-to-digital transaction right there and then eject it. You'd really never even need to catalog it.

Intermediate State (no vault import yet)
You would have your Disc Vault(s) and nearly all of your players on Encore. You would leave one M500 player behind on Premiere to allow importing discs onto Premiere. For systems that have DVD import capability, when you import a DVD, you just take the disc out and store it. When you import Blu-ray, you take the disc out and then put it into the vault so that the vault can verify disc presence.

If you want to do a disc-to-digital offer, then just as above, you put the disc into a player on the Encore system and do it.

But, what happens if you put a disc into the Encore-connected Vault during this interim period? In that circumstance, it would be cataloged, and if you selected it in the onscreen display and said "Play", the vault would actually load the disc into the optical drive and send the bits over the network to the player. (This is how Alto systems with Disc Vaults work today, so that functionality carries over.) Once disc imports are supported, though, those discs would be imported and then played from the Premiere server.

Adding Music to the Mix
What I've described so far deliberately excluded music to keep things simple. Let's add music back to the mix now.

In order to support music playback, you need to leave at least one player associated with the Premiere system. If that player has an optical drive, it can be used to import discs, so during the interim period, it can serve double duty (music playback, and disc import). Once vault import is ready, you probably wouldn't use it for DVD/Blu-ray import anymore, because the vault is more convenient, but it would still work if for some reason you wanted to use it to import a disc.

One question I need to go research and then return here: I'm not sure if we'll be able to do CD import from the Encore-connected vault to the Premiere server, or if you'd need to use the player you're using for music to import CD. I'll follow up.

When downloaded titles are copied over to the Encore system, does it also copy over all the scenes that I have marked? It is my understanding that the Encore system will not import scenes. Am I correct on this?

John

Hi John!

Yes, scenes will be copied over, as are any customizations to movie metadata, and membership in collections. The only things we've said that we don't plan to copy are scripts.

Hi Mike

Back of our vacations and so much to read ... I "hopped" thru this topic, but didn't find any news about "foreign store plans". As Long as the movie-store is not available outside US, all about the new Line and 4k is useless here in Switzerland.

Would be very nice to know, if this will change ...
Pio

Will the M300 players be able to decode the HD Audio Codecs as part of the Encore system? How about if they remain part of a Premier system?

Will the M300 players be able to decode the HD Audio Codecs as part of the Encore system? How about if they remain part of a Premier system?

Decoding is done by the individual Player, and the M300 does not have this capability. It is not only a software issue, it is hardware as well.

Jim

Mike:

Why do you not plan to support scripts on the Encore system? Seems like a lot of people enjoy utilizing this feature and it gives their Kaleidescape system a unique capability.

Last edited:
They have stated they do not plan to support it at this time. While unique, I don't know how many people utilize scripts. I have used them before, but I don't use them much and can't remember the last time I made a script.

I use scripts daily. Whenever I get a new blockbuster title I am adding my favorite scene from it to my "demo" script. Whenever I get a new concert BR or musical title I am adding my favorite songs to my "concert Mix Tape" script.

I then am playing these constantly.

If i never get this capability on the Encore line I will be disappointed. I realize K has to allocate resources where they need to from a business standpoint. I am just hoping that at some point they can add this capability into the Encore line.

John

Back