• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K download store

Right, I use iTunes for top 40 music I know I won't listen to once its gotten a little old and the same for some movies too. CDs and K scape are for the "keepers".

So to all the expert prognosticators, when do you think we'll be likely to avail ourselves of this service? Understand it would just be a guess, but curious what you think.

Last edited:
So to all the expert prognosticators, when do you think we'll be likely to avail ourselves of this service? Understand it would just be a guess, but curious what you think.

September. At CEDIA. If I was to guess... :)

I will see your CEDIA and raise you a few more months from when we see it to when we get it. My guess is late January 2013- right after CES.

October 1, 2012.:D

Jim

Thanks everyone for the estimates. I'm really looking forward to seeing the terms under which this service rolls out. I've almost getting paranoid about what I stick in a vault slot now.

I've got it on *pretty good* authority that they are ripping up streets and running all new fiber lines directly to Kaleidescape to accommodate the massive bandwidth.

Seriously? In this day and age? You would think it would be cheaper and more reliable to host the movies in a download server in a well connected datacenter. I know K likes to do their own thing (own OS, etc.), but creating your own datacenter with attendant redundant links, high bandwidth, backup generators, etc. doesn't seem to be the right way to go.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the movie download announcement which by the looks of this, should occur in 1 1/2 weeks...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeIc-yHhrY"]Kaleidescape at CEDIA EXPO 2012 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Just watched that movie again, and seven more times...

"Bringing movies to the forefront"

"Movies you want to watch, when you want to watch them..."

There was a mention of a new movie selection process, and the comment about adding movies to the collection was a pretty obvious reference to the download system. But the quotes about bringing movies to the forefront and having the movies the user wants to watch when they want to watch them in a home theater... Could K be announcing day/date theatrical releases for the home? Like what Prima Cinema is doing?

I expect Prima will have exclusive rights from the studios they are in contract with for a fixed time period which will prevent competitors from offering a similar service....but other studios..?

I will be pleased if the K download store has the same variety of movies that are available at present from online stores. As ever time will tell.

Just watched that movie again, and seven more times...

"Bringing movies to the forefront"

"Movies you want to watch, when you want to watch them..."

There was a mention of a new movie selection process, and the comment about adding movies to the collection was a pretty obvious reference to the download system. But the quotes about bringing movies to the forefront and having the movies the user wants to watch when they want to watch them in a home theater... Could K be announcing day/date theatrical releases for the home? Like what Prima Cinema is doing?

As great as Kaleidescape is at what they do I don't think they have the authentication systems that PC does to manage both distribution and in home access for 'day/date theatrical releases'.

I would be happy if they (K) offered Apples iTunes catalog in bit for bit BD quality for download. I imagine a cover flow that might reflect all movies available with 'owned and downloaded' somehow flagged.

Although I want bit for bit I have noticed that there is a population of Kaleidescape owners here that would accept a compressed HD movie that they may want to watch once and not store as is the current case with titles available in iTunes. Why not integrate that with Kaleidescape's offering?

We will know soon enough but it is fun to speculate..........especially with this crowd!!!

Peter

Sorry guys, no "day/date" releases from K. PC has that locked up for now. It is still somewhat experimental from the studio's standpoint and a lot of $$$ have been thrown into the PC project. It should work at some level, the question is whether there is enough long term interest and sustainable market for that service. We'll see, I hope so.

Jim

Sorry guys, no "day/date" releases from K. PC has that locked up for now. It is still somewhat experimental from the studio's standpoint and a lot of $$$ have been thrown into the PC project. It should work at some level, the question is whether there is enough long term interest and sustainable market for that service. We'll see, I hope so.

Jim

Jim, is this forum the best place to hang out for the CEDIA Kaleidescape news as it happens?? I am keen for the info release and I hope some folks from this forum will be there and remember those of us who can't but are still hungry for info...........

Peter

Jim, is this forum the best place to hang out for the CEDIA Kaleidescape news as it happens?? I am keen for the info release and I hope some folks from this forum will be there and remember those of us who can't but are still hungry for info...........

Peter

Actually, we plan to post K CEDIA specific info here on the day CEDIA opens. I have another info meeting with K in a few days to work out the timing. Either Josh or I will insure we get the info posted here asap after K permits the release.:)

Jim

Actually, we plan to post K CEDIA specific info here on the day CEDIA opens. I have another info meeting with K in a few days to work out the timing. Either Josh or I will insure we get the info posted here asap after K permits the release.:)

Jim

Thanks Jim.....this will be my first stop of the day!!!

Peter

Will be interesting to see if there is a capability and option to download 3D versions of Blu-ray releases providing this option. Perhaps this might inspire K to release a 3D capable player.

Ken

Quick update, K will provide additional info on CEDIA announcements later today.

I cannot post until released to do so, but I can say there are no new hardware announcements, so don't expect any (for those that have been asking me for the past several weeks).

Jim

In my humble opinion, one of the positive effects of a new K announcement this week is we finally get to see something other than the "movie night" banner on the home page! :)

Back