• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K download store

Being that this is the only service available with Bit for download capability the demand for rental may be signifcant. I would conside purchasing a K system for this feature

I would be surprised if K started renting movies via the K system. I expect download to own and keep on the server will be the initial offering, but there is a huge range of options for the future.

Why would K limit a potential income stream? I would have been all over Vudu/Apple but for lack of quality.

I would be good for 10-20 rentals a month at $5-10 per rental, nothing to sneeze at plus K selling me hardware

I would be surprised if K started renting movies via the K system. I expect download to own and keep on the server will be the initial offering, but there is a huge range of options for the future.

I agree. Just the cost of downloading a full, bit for bit, BluRay for rental just doesn't make a lot of sense. Rentals, I believe, for the Kaleidescape owner are something that can stand a lessor quality. But that could all change with the passage of time. I would like to see a full catalog if possible for new BD purchases and upgrade from DVD standard if at all possible. I'm really not counting on K for rentals......frankly Apple can provide all the rentals I want or need. I don't tend to rent anything I am prepared or want to purchase.

Peter

Last edited:
With Verizon's Quantum FIOS service at 300/65 Mbps, the download store would be a pretty cool enhancement to the k scape experience. Any word on status / progress?

Having those speeds will certainly make in convenient. I'd love to get that Service here, but not available. Unfortunately I'm stuck at an "average" speed of 13 - 15 (although they quote "up to 18mbps"). Still better than my Hawaii location, at 3mb it took me 7 hours to download the first test (BR Gray Eagles) from K's store.:eek:

No new updates on the store, beta still ongoing.

Jim

Presently I think the quickest download speed in the UK is 120mb for residential use, though there is still plenty of rural areas at <5mb.

I will happy if the store opens by the end of the year... especially if it is glitch free. Then once the store is open back to speculating about the next drive size increase.

Buy blu-ray titles on HD

Since the bandwidth limits are likely going to be an issue for many in the near future, will K* offer an option to let you buy a hard drive with the blu-ray titles already loaded onto it? My guess is that in most cases, the time to mail a 3TB hard drive is likely faster than download 3TB of data.

Additionally, if you have a 250GB monthly cap, then the mailed harddrive is really the only option.

I would like that as well (hd preloaded).

I can see speeds of 95 down and maybe 25 up where I live but that is all academic if there is a bottle neck at the source- for example, many websites just don't load as fast as that 95 speed suggests. I don't believe I have capped data but maybe Im wrong...

Uploading from K*

One other thought (and I'm by no means an expert on this), but let's say that just 20 K* users are simulteanously downloading Blu-Ray's and the average download speed is 25mbs, will K* really have the ability to upload at 500mbs? I would think that they would need to heavily invest in the infrastrure to do that, and then pass that cost along in the price of the downlad.

That said, since there is a savings in not needing the vault, K* can probably charge a fairly high price (to cover infrastructure costs) and still be competitive with Blu-Ray's + the vault costs.

I'm sure they've worked this all out, but it's fun to conjecture on what they need to do, as so far I'm not aware of any other service that allows you to download Blu-Ray's in a bit-for-bit format, so this will definitely take some signficant building of infrastrure on K*'s part to make this scalable.

I won't be one of those 20 K* users downloading blu-ray content: a download service is something I have absolutely zero interest in (not whilst my ADSL 2+ broadband maxes out at 5 Mbps download and 0.6 Mbps upload).

Interesting video.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIEobT0VLOM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]All Quiet on the Western Front recommended by Leonard Maltin - YouTube[/nomedia]

One other thought (and I'm by no means an expert on this), but let's say that just 20 K* users are simulteanously downloading Blu-Ray's and the average download speed is 25mbs, will K* really have the ability to upload at 500mbs? I would think that they would need to heavily invest in the infrastrure to do that, and then pass that cost along in the price of the downlad.

I've got it on *pretty good* authority that they are ripping up streets and running all new fiber lines directly to Kaleidescape to accommodate the massive bandwidth. Not sure what the "choke point" will be, but they are definitely investing in the infrastructure...

Since the bandwidth limits are likely going to be an issue for many in the near future, will K* offer an option to let you buy a hard drive with the blu-ray titles already loaded onto it? My guess is that in most cases, the time to mail a 3TB hard drive is likely faster than download 3TB of data.

Additionally, if you have a 250GB monthly cap, then the mailed harddrive is really the only option.

Honestly, why would you just not go out and buy the Blu-ray disc yourself -- or order it from Amazon -- at this point...? Not sure that mailing drives is going to be something they will be interested in doing. Unless you are talking about purchasing a massive collection and just don't want to go through the import times, but with a M700, it is so easy to load-and-forget that it doesn't seem like a real issue...

Thats a pretty good point you have there. I think even if the DLs take a little time, you set them up, go to sleep, and they are there in the morning. Its faster than ordering the disc from Amazon, and no vault is nice. Its slower than Apple TV but, it will be higher quality.

While its been alluded to above, I find myself growing more and more cautious about what I use a M700 space for these days. Compared to you guys I have a modest collection of about 500 movies with about 200 B_R discs taking up space. I love the idea of downloading a mass market movie favorite and saving M700 slots for limited distro movies that K won't make available. In other words, avoid the need for the 321st M/D700 slot for as long as possible.

Thats a pretty good point you have there. I think even if the DLs take a little time, you set them up, go to sleep, and they are there in the morning. Its faster than ordering the disc from Amazon, and no vault is nice. Its slower than Apple TV but, it will be higher quality.

I completely agree. I suspect that if you know the release date for a new movie you likely would have the opportunity to preorder from the catalog. All you need is a reminder email when the movie is available for viewing on your system.

I have to admit the Apple ecosystem is compelling for casual use especially with tech such as iPad. I had forgotten how many movies I had purchased from iTunes until I saw them appear in the purchased section. The neat feature for me was that the version would be upgraded to HD if available even though the original version was purchased in standard def.

My preference is still and will always be for the highest def available for movies destined for my theater which should continue to keep Kaleidescape as an important part of the technology platform supporting my equipment ensemble.

Peter

I've got it on *pretty good* authority that they are ripping up streets and running all new fiber lines directly to Kaleidescape to accommodate the massive bandwidth. Not sure what the "choke point" will be, but they are definitely investing in the infrastructure...

Hrm... I'd be a bit surprised. In this day you'd be more likely to take your data to a well connected existing data centre than build your own, unless you are someone like google or facebook...

Unless, that is, all the discs are actually going to live in vaults at Kal HQ!!!

Back