• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K download store

For "daddy movies" as my kids call movies not appropriate for them, the ability to directly download movies in br quality will be fantastic. However for the kid flicks, ie anything Pixar, you cannot beat (according to information provided in a yet to be implemented store) buying these 4/5 disc packages: br, br 3d, DVD, digital copies. Br goes into the K system. DVD into the car, and iTunes copy for the ever expanding i-devices.

I can learn to live without the DVD copy because as the kids get older I'm learning it's harder to get a consenses on what they'll watch. They'll each I suppose will have their own iPod to watch what they want so an iTunes compatible copy is a must for me. If this is coming, I'm all in. Just upgraded my FIOS to 75/35 so I should be good ;)

Thats an interesting approach Mike.

We used to do that or something similar but now the kids bring their iPads and hook them up to the car's composite (!!! eeek- composite video in 2012?!!).

I agree with JDS about its early days and a lot of potential of UV is not being utilized currently. For right now, my experience with UV has not been positive because I've been required to also sign up with other things like Flixster (sp?). Its kind of a mess but it could be sorted out and I am confident whatever Kaleidescape does will live up to their high standards.

I'm excited to learn more!

One 'feature' I assume that will be an unintended bonus with the 'Store' should be that every purchase comes fully bookmarked and catalogued. This should also help with predetermined aspect ratios being correct for those of us with 2:35/40 setups.

I am sorry that Kaleidescape did not bring more to the table at this years CEDIA. I know we (consumers) are a byproduct of the day trading mentality with a four month product lifecycle to boot but I very much agree with the sentiment expressed in another thread that more could have been offered. At a minimum, a communication to existing owners on what to expect in the near term would have been welcome.

Peter

I still can't get my head around how Kal are planning on offering full bluray quality downloads of a significant catalog when no-one else in the market has managed it? Call me a cynic... Are they really going to resort to warehousing a load of bluray discs in a gigantic bluray changer?

I thought it a little weird to have UV and Download store as the top items on the popup displays yet no press releases.

I think you are not wrong to want to actually see this. My feeling is they have delivered on other things when no one else was doing it, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but they still have to go out there and prove it.

I can assure you all, this is real, and it works. K, in their usual fashion, just wants to "dot the "i's"........

You will see this very soon.:)

Jim

I can assure you all, this is real, and it works.

I don't doubt it at all, I think it is inevitable that BR downloads will happen.

Prima has shown the studios are open to innovation at the higher end. There are few more secure places to keep a download than a K server.

I waiting for 4k downloads! (jk, maybe...)

Jim said it works, and I believe him. Hopefully the "T's" and "I's" and ducks are ready soon. Hopefully everyone's service provider is up to the task.

I don't doubt that it is technically possible to build a store selling BD images - there isn't anything particularly difficult in that. It is all about the content.

I do doubt at the moment that there is a large collection of current, studio-sanctioned BD images ready to download; it seems there has always been a mental block with the studios as far as offering their "physical quality" content to the download market. Count how much audio content is available in lossless format, for example.

If this is true it will be great for the consumer and herald a new era of high quality movie convenience, which is only to be applauded! :)

I don't think it will actually be such a big deal in the broader market because of the limited size of the market (K system owners). Its a big deal for us though. In a way this could be a great way for the studios to see how this work because the K System owner market is a limited group that they could probably get aggregate data and then get some ideas. And K offers (so far as I know) really good protection over the content.

Jim, your comments reminded me of an episode of Seinfeld, to paraphrase "its real, and its spectacular!" :)

I think that quote was from Teri Hatcher and she said "they're real and they're spectacular."

That sounds big to me. Probably not compressed. Figure a 4kx2k film should have roughly 4x the resolution of 1920x1080. Given the same compression ratio of BR, I would expect that a normal film would take less 120-160GB. It would only take 4x as much space as BluRay if they had 4x the audio file size as well.

That makes sense. Also by the time we get there perhaps compression techniques will be more efficient.

Wow. That would mean I can store 3 4k movies in my current step up and capacity (18Tb)!! Jim, I need more drives!! ;)

Thank goodness for compression. Hopefully by the time they are readily available, better compression codeces will also have been developed.

Wow. That would mean I can store 3 4k movies in my current step up and capacity (18Tb)!! Jim, I need more drives!! ;)

Thank goodness for compression. Hopefully by the time they are readily available, better compression codeces will also have been developed.

Yes, it looks like H.265 is coming with double the compression of H.264, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

If K* can implement that, that would be huge to only require half the HD space for downloaded content.

Quite a few owners have been waiting for a hardware upgrade to decode lossless audio. Might also be time for a codec upgrade in the not too distant future.

Back