• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How is everyone enjoying the M-700 Vault

What about the kscape app that tells you if the disc is already in your library by bar code? Hopefully it will be updated to tell you if it's there on DVD at least

It does this already. It will say:

"You already own this title in DVD format"
or
"You do not own this title in any format"

Sorry guys, I misunderstood. Clearly that is what the bar coding app was designed to do. I was thinking BR only.

Jim

Actually, considering that the Kscape app can figure out the correlation between BluRay and DVD titles in a collection without accidentally tying same name movies that are different into the same group (like The Girl Next Door, which is both a comedy and also a drama film that are quite different), it should be able to determine which titles you own that are in both formats. They could probably modify the web interface to list duplicate titles in a collection you could only pull up via the web interface with one of the sortable fields showing the format it is in and that would make it much faster to delete DVD versions.

See! I knew it could be done!! Lol

Funny you should pick that movie as an example...!

I just added my new M700 and love it. I did have one surprise and one difference that I wanted to ask about.

1) I have a C1 so the M700 was my first M-series player that I have added. When I did I ended up with a new HD GUI! I wasn't expecting this so it is a pleasent surprise. I was thinking my previous GUI was HD but it doesn't compare to the new one.

2) When I play "scenes" the DVD scenes start up almost instantaneously. However, when I start up a blu-ray scene it takes about 4-6 seconds to begin. I am assuming that this is the time it takes to verify that the blu-ray disc is loaded so this is normal. Is this corrrect?

John

Congratulations!!

I think it can verify that fairly quickly. I think the blu ray just has a lot more data to load into the player.

The time delay has nothing to do with the verification. It just takes a lot longer to get a bluray film to load compared to DVD.

I love the new M700's! Much better than those POS 100 disc vaults they had earlier

Load them up and let them import all day

Yes, I love the M700 as well. Actually, I love the whole system! Two years in, and it feels just as fresh, new and cutting edge as the day we got it. And the M700 breathed new life into the whole system. Absolutely fantastic system and experience. The only downer - with all the vault loads, I need a new server (or bigger disks - where's the 3 and 4TB disks?!?) for future content...

I have had my M700 for about a month and a half and have almost all my DVD's loaded into the server. Now I am in the process of loading up the blue rays and also realized that I will need more server space soon!!! The loading process is foolproof and the equipment performs as advertised. The system is awesome.

Fantastic! Yes, the system is indeed awesome. I am continually awed by its elegance and simplicity of use. One of the very best machines I have ever had the pleasure of owning. For me, two years in, it's as exciting and fun to use as the first days after unboxing the equipment. I have a speedreader that I use for bulk loading CD's and regular DVDs. If you ever get the chance to see one, it's a cool piece of equipment - like the vault. A robotic arm that loads/unloads discs with precision. I could gush on forever, so I'll stop... for now!

I only partially agree. I completely agree with you Igimene when it comes to DVDs, but I'm NOT at all impressed with the implementation of BluRay on Kaleidescape.

biggest complaint: I love to watch the bonus materials for movies... why on earth do I need to go to "play disc" to access blu-ray bonus materials, sitting through all the locked-down, remote-disabling junk and trailers and FBI warnings, just to get to the disc menu to get to the blu-ray bonus stuff? For DVDs, you can go to the elegant, junk-skipping "play movie", then press "disc menu" and boom, you're ready to watch bonus materials. Frustrates me to no end now that I'm watching more BluRay on Kaleidescape. Very NON-Kaleidescape in my mind.

OK, so is that a hard limitation or one driven by legalities - or could it be fixed on a subsequent KEAOS release?

Good question. The only nit Id pick with you Josh is how you said you're not at all impressed with the BR implementation on Kscape. There are a few things, like you mentioned and also the lack of internal decoding of the high res audio formats, that are annoyances, but overall I AM impressed with the fact that they made BR work. I should say Im not the biggest extras watcher, but every now and then I watch them.

I love the new M700's! Much better than those POS 100 disc vaults they had earlier...

The 100 disc vault works for me, I'm very happy with it. Sure, it's ugly, but mine is hidden in the back of the server rack out of view so it's not an issue for me.

I have intentionally passed on the M700 out of protest due to the LPCM "lack of" issue. For the same reason I initially passed on the M300/500 as well, but ultimately I didn't want to miss out on the Kaleidescape blu ray experience. So I relented and bought an M300 and KVAULT-10. I'm happy I did, it works a treat for me.

At the moment if I want to watch a movie with a DTS-HDMA or Dolby True-HD soundtrack I eject the disc from the MDV and put it in the PS3. What I have now with the M300/MDV works for me, but I'd rather not have to mess around with discs just because the player can't decode.

I will not buy an M700 or another M-player until it can decode to LPCM 7.1

Back