• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Hardware Needs...

I can see the appeal of a larger capacity MDV for owners who do not need another M class player.

Now that would be interesting in that this would be the best of both worlds...a large capacity MDV + a separate player which eases/facilitates upgradability...

All speculation on my behalf but I imagine at sometime in the future ...... a replacement MDV with the same form factor as forthcoming IDV at lower price point to reflect the lack of a fully incorporated M Class player.

320 disc capacity in 5U space would be more space efficient than the present MDV.

I suspect they will not totally drop the MDV as it is now because it already exists and I doubt they would create a new one at a lower price point just due to economies of scale. There is no way they would sell enough 100 disc vaults to justify the cost of a new design, especially once they fill the initial need with the current MDV and most of those customers are not going to replace them just for the kaleidescape look at $1500 per.

It also would not make as much sense to do an IDV without a player. It would still need to be hooked up to an M-300 or M-500 so it would take less space to have an actual IDV and one could just move the player to another room or resell it as there will be continued demand for M-class players. They might offer a tradein on an M-series player for an IDV for those that would not want the vault and the player seperate.

I really don't see how an M-300 and a playerless IDV would cost less than an IDV with the player incorporated so going forward there will be zero demand for that combo. In effect, they would be making an item that has a customer base of exactly as many people who want a 320 disc vault but already have as many M-class players as they need.

They certainly would not sell them to a new customer at all unless it could be added to an existing IDV for extra storage. Really, that would be the absolute only way they would have any demand for them at all for forward sales. That market - people who need more than 320 bluray discs of storage per playback zone, must be quite small even as a percentage of Kaleidescape owners.

100 Disc MDV. $1500.
320 Disc IDV. Circa $6000.

Hypothetical 320 Disc MDV. $4500 ???

These numbers would work for me.

My preferred choice would be to keep players and vaults in separate enclosures. Players are regularly upgraded as technology and the K experience develops. Separate enclosures allow player upgrades to be carried out quickly and easily.

The functionality of a vault will probably not change in the foreseeable future where players may have a shorter life span to stay at the most current specification.

As a new or current customer I would pay extra for the increased flexibility of a higher capacity MDV with an external player as compared to an IDV. If a previously purchased M300 is available it saves a few dollars for upgrades at a later date.

I would never underestimate the ability of a K system owner to accumulate discs. I think the current 100 disc MDV is an effective but ultimately short term solution.

As always it will be interesting to see how things develop.

......I think the current 100 disc MDV is an effective but ultimately short term solution.........

Agree, I filled both of my MDV's and only touched about 20% of my BRs!:( Now waiting for a couple of IDVs.

Jim

Wholly Molly! You have ~1000 BRs?! Of course if you factor that just above every movie has a supplementary bonus disc that is often BR format....

Two IDV's will give me some extra space (I haven't counted recently, but last count was about 830 BR, not all of which I'd put into a vault). I like a lot of older films and tend to buy everything that gets released (all the old classics: African Queen, Casablanca, NBNW, etc.).

Jim

Its amazing to see the old movies with the clarity HD gives. I enjoy them all. One particular favorite is The Treasure of The Sierra Madre.

That's another great film, and I'm very happy with the transfers I've seen to this point.:)

Jim

100 Disc MDV. $1500.
320 Disc IDV. Circa $6000.

Hypothetical 320 Disc MDV. $4500 ???

These numbers would work for me.
*crick* Hmm, looking at it backwards really does make the space saved seem bloody expensive. The effective efficiency all comes down to which is more important a factor, space or cost. (I might add players/zones, but that makes the issues much murkier and just got me wondering how the 1-drive-per-player limit really works if the M500 can drive a MDV, so I'll leave it at space/price.)

Call me crazy -- you will not be the first or the last -- but it would be aesthetically preferable to have an MDV that matches the form factor and look of the other K gear...

I will know next week which direction I will be going in but do appreciate all the advice and input that has been shared to date...

If I buy the MDV I will install it in the back of the equipment rack, so it is sight-unseen. If I buy the IDV it will be installed conventionally.

If I buy the MDV I will install it in the back of the equipment rack, so it is sight-unseen. If I buy the IDV it will be installed conventionally.

Agreed...the other issue though is "rack efficiency" / "rack management" and it it more efficient to use 5U of rack space for 320 Blu-rays as opposed to 100 Blu-rays...

I am getting very close to ordering my system with just a few details left to iron out and have a question...

If I load a blu-ray, CD or DVD into the system is it then possible, at a later date, to erase/remove the disk from the system and recover the disk space...

Thanks so much...

Joel

Yes, you can delete any title in the future. The only thing you cannot do is delete one disc from a set, like disc 4 of CSI season 2, or the supplemental disc for a film. One would have to delete the entire title then reload the disc/s that you want from it. I generally don't load the extra disc from a set for this reason.

I just did this Joel with the DVD duplicates of BRs I own.

What happens is the titles get moved to the trash. They are not actually deleted at this moment, but rather still are on the hard drives but not listed in your movie list. As the system needs the space the movies in the trash will be deleted. This way if you accidentally move a movie to the trash you can recover it. With a title in the trash, the system will report the additional free space.

Back