• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Current KEAOS Software: Versions and Updates

If he's so busy then they should hire me on-board to ease his work load...I'd love to have the inside scoop of what's in the development pipeline at K :)

I believe it's fairly easy to figure out. After the M700 solution is successfully deployed the next phase of a healthy evolution for the company is to get on board with the targeted multi-media distribution strategy to replace physical media. This means some sort of integration with a major supplier who has all the contractual agreements in place for movie and music distribution. Apple is a logical partner. All of the hardware is in place with features and functions that only exist in the K universe.

I cannot believe the pace of deterioration of the DVD distribution system. The boutique retail services are dying at light speed and the big box Best Buys, Blockbusters, Walmart etc have shrinking product lines when it comes to physical media. Netflix is quickly loosing its appetite for physical DVDs seeing the writing on the wall. Many of us are going to find it more and more difficult to source legitimate physical product other than mainstream consumer hits suitable for mass consumption.

Streaming is not a qualitative option for those of us prepared to pay for pristine uncompressed source material. So K should be on the cusp of a major announcement to accommodate it's current customer base with an elegant solution that continues the Kaleidescape positive culture of uncompromising best of class experience for those of us who have 'drank the koolaid' so to speak.

my three cents Canadian........two cents american.

Peter

......my three cents Canadian........two cents american....

You're being generous.....:D

I also agree with your post. I just want whatever is eventually offered to be at least as good as the image and sound in BR content (basically REAL 1080p and lossless hi-rez audio).

Jim

I want to see anamorphic 2:35 content that gets us the full 1080 resolution.

But I'd also like to see a new player architecture that features on board PCM decoding.

You're being generous.....:D

I also agree with your post. I just want whatever is eventually offered to be at least as good as the image and sound in BR content (basically REAL 1080p and lossless hi-rez audio).

Jim

I could not agree more. I do hope that something pops within the year. My earlier point is wrapped in the belief that winners in this game do so by getting in front of the ball. Those who don't have inescapable ends like Wordperferct, Novell, Banyon, Lotus and let's not forget TV roof antennas which were the most common feature of cityscapes after church towers.

Hopefully the principals in Kaleidescape are moving the marble forward and not simply building fences to hold back the tsunami.

Peter

I hope they can get a partnership happening with a HD audio download service such as HDTracks...I'm not at all interested in video downloads into Kaleidescape. I'll continue buying DVD and BR discs and import them in the normal way.

And of course I'd like to see onboard lossless audio decoding to PCM, and I'd like to be able to reposition the UI graphics into the active video area for 2.35 content, and I'd like to see 3TB discs, and the rest of it...So if Tom B can spare a moment it would be nice to read any insight he might be able to share with us in this regard.

Well to apply your thought to video, you would need quality that exceeds BR. That's what Id like to see.

This means some sort of integration with a major supplier who has all the contractual agreements in place for movie and music distribution. Apple is a logical partner. All of the hardware is in place with features and functions that only exist in the K universe.

Good luck getting Apple to partner with a company not named Apple. They won't even support Adobe Flash on their iPod and iPad. You also don't get to sync your iTunes account with anything other than your iPod. If you see something like this coming from Apple, it will be on AppleTV or another Apple product.

I cannot believe the pace of deterioration of the DVD distribution system. The boutique retail services are dying at light speed and the big box Best Buys, Blockbusters, Walmart etc have shrinking product lines when it comes to physical media. Netflix is quickly loosing its appetite for physical DVDs seeing the writing on the wall. Many of us are going to find it more and more difficult to source legitimate physical product other than mainstream consumer hits suitable for mass consumption.

Amazon isn't going anywhere any time soon. Downloading video and downloading audio are two different things simply due to the difference in file size and infrastructure required to handle that.

Streaming is not a qualitative option for those of us prepared to pay for pristine uncompressed source material. So K should be on the cusp of a major announcement to accommodate it's current customer base with an elegant solution that continues the Kaleidescape positive culture of uncompromising best of class experience for those of us who have 'drank the koolaid' so to speak.

my three cents Canadian........two cents american.

Peter

I don't see donwloading BluRay quality as something that is likely to happen any time in the immediate future, especially with service providers putting caps on download volumes. Moving all our consumer video content to be distributed through the Internet will give our national network backbones the same issues we have with our freeway systems in Los Angeles.

One change I noticed under 4.2 is that the movie list via the web browser waits until everything loads. No more glitched listings because it times-out and the format becomes corrupted. Hooray!

My system updated on 9/21.... any ideas what changed ?

Mike

Hi Mike, unlike some manufacturer's, K does not regularly release info on changes to the KEAOS. Not that they are being cryptic. These updates are routine and usually address small issues K would like to improve, or addressing an import problem, or adding some additional function. There is usually an announcement when a new function is being added that is not obvious to the end user, but many such improvements are also announced and discussed here in the forum thanks to input from K.

Updates also regularly occur whenever new products are added to the line.

I've not heard anything about the version you mentioned, so probably routine.

Jim

If you mean, 4.2.2-10217, mine updated on 10/5. I wish they had a spot in the administrative (web) interface or something that gave release notes, so we'd know what changed. Guess I'm just used to that model with other operating systems.

Yes...and this has been suggested a few times before but it seems, usually, only new features are announced by Kaleidescape if they are in a software update.

There is a new KEAOS version available for update: ver. 4.3.0-10708. It is required if you want to use the brand new iPad App, (yes, it is finally out!!) which was released today.

My 2 servers are both on 4.3.0, but different version numbers. Having different versions means I can't replicate between servers. To get the servers on the same KEAOS normally you just need to restart the server with the older software and it will "grab" the update from the other server. But in this case it's not doing that, so I can't start my replication session. I'm under some time pressure to get this replication done, and it's the weekend so I can't call on Support to push the update. Is there anything else I can try here?

DISREGARD: After time and of its own volition it's updated from 4.3.0-10492 to 4.3.0-10610, and now they are happy to replicate. Why does K* attach a build number to the software version, if 4.3.0-xxxxx changes why not then call it 4.3.1?

Last edited:
There is a new KEAOS version available for update: ver. 4.3.0-10708. It is required if you want to use the brand new iPad App, (yes, it is finally out!!) which was released today.

Actually any of the earlier 4.3.0 builds should work with the iPad App as well...

Back