• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CONFIRMED FIXED: BOLT will not import.

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Just checking to see if anyone else had a problem importing Disney's "BOLT." Just tried today and got the "DVD cannot be imported" message.:(

Jim

um.... Bolt doesn't even come out officially until next Tuesday. Where are you getting your discs? :cool:

um.... Bolt doesn't even come out officially until next Tuesday. Where are you getting your discs? :cool:

The manager at the local BB is a friend.;)

(I thought I should edit this to clarify that this is unusual, truth is, they screwed up and put it out early.)

Jim

Last edited:
"Bolt" is another malauthored title. Kaleidescape is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. "The Express" also fell into this category.

I think this will be a popular title, so I'm sure K will get a fix asap.

Jim

Its interesting that many Disney titles are "malauthored" in that they are difficult to import but perhaps not so difficult to play. I remember Wall*E being like this.

I'm having the same issue, but Disney seems to author their big titles a little differently. They did the same with Wall*E. I haven't contacted K about this yet, as I'm sure they are already aware. When I contacted them about Wall*E the K phone rep actually asked for my cell number and called me a few days later when they had fixed the issue and the disc could be imported. I had only owned my K for a few weeks at that point and was blown away that they would take the time to call my cell to simply tell me I could import a movie.

As far as the release date, Disney is trying to push Blu Rays and decided to release the Blu Ray version of Bolt today and the regular dvd version on Tuesday. The Blu Ray package actually contains 3 versions of the movie, Blu Ray, standard dvd and a digital copy. I was in Best Buy today picking it up and they also had the standard dvd version on the shelf. My guess is that they either got confused and put them all out or they were instructed by management to go ahead and put all versions on the shelf. From being a reg mgr in the video rental business in my previous life, all you have to do to break street date is prove that the competition has already broken it.

I like the term "malauthored" ;-)

Truth is, this is cyberwar between Disney and K*. Wall-E was the last shot across the bow of Kaleidescape, and this is the latest, and not the last. These discs are being *deliberately* authored in a way to prevent import into K* (and possibly other media servers). Disney myopically believe that they are serving their best interests by attempting to copy-protect their discs and in so-doing interfere with customers' fair-use rights. Even Apple are now selling unrestricted uncopy-protected music files, to the benefit of both customers and publishers alike ... it's very disappointing that Disney can't respect the rights of their customers who legitimately purchase their offerings.

Disney would very much like K* to go away, and they believe that copy-protecting their releases will aid in this process.

Kaleidescape do publish a list of "poorly Authored" titles on their dealer website, if you have any difficulty and are wondering if if a title you are importing is on here, please ask and I'll gladly check for you

My own personal belief is the people that want K to go away are the CE companies who would like to do their own media servers- perhaps pick the bones of a defeated K.... I wonder who is a large CE company right now and aligned with Disney and also specializes in great interfaces yet has not quite had a home run with their attempt at a network system for the home......

I am serious this is pure speculation by me but at the same time its fairly obvious.

I was told by support yesterday that they should have a fix for Bolt within the next two weeks.

Additionally, they indicated Twilight was also on the "will not import at this time" list.

Last edited:
I was told by support yesterday that they should have a fix for Bolt within the next two weeks.

Additionally, they indicated Twilight was also on the "will not import at this time" list.

"Twilight" imported (and played back) without any problems on my system (1080p Player). There are a few of the older drives that "may" have a problem with "some" titles. K works on software fixes to support these older drives as soon as they become aware of an issue with a particular movie.

Jim

Last edited:
Hey, Bolt imported just fine for me tonight, so either Kaleidescape has fixed the problem, or I'm using a different version of the disc that doesn't have the errors on it.

Watching it now, all fine. For what it's worth, I used the DVD that comes in the 3-disc Blu-Ray/DVD combo package, which Croptop reported is exactly the same as Disc 1 in the 2-disc Deluxe DVD set.

If it matters, it imported on my KP-6000.

Maybe that disc in the 3-disc set is slightly different than the other DVDs and does import.

That's great Josh, there must be a difference in DVD's. I tried it in my 6000 with the standard version and it would not import, and to my knowledge K has not released a fix. Check your version to confirm it is still 3.7.1-6642, maybe you got the fix first!:D

Jim

nope, mine's also still 3.7.1.6642.

Both versions of Bolt have been fixed and should be importable on all systems running 3.7.1-6642. If you try to import Bolt and it still fails immediatley, try rebooting your server and attempt the import again. If it still fails after that, contact Tech Support as it is likely that you have a pressing of Bolt that is slightly different.

Very impressive response time for Kaleidescape to have addressed this issue! 2 weeks from release date to resolution.

Back