• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Blu-Ray Delay Confirmed

Im not confusing streaming and DLs. I don't think K is either. I think to do DLs properly right now, you would have to be willing to wait a little while for at least a good part of the data transfer.

I wonder how the Blu-ray layer is going. It seems like we are either at or very near the original 3-6 month delay period. I hope we hear something soon.

Someone here will get one and be under NDA, if only they could say something to wet our appetite!

Patience guys, they are "inching" closer.......:)

Jim

The big unknown is inching towards what? I'm not at all interested in streaming capability for the new player, I just want it to be able to play a BR disc, and hopefully one day I can write the disc to the server just like I can a DVD. I also hope it can decode HD audio internally and output it as 7.1 LPCM.

The big unknown is inching towards what? I'm not at all interested in streaming capability for the new player, I just want it to be able to play a BR disc, and hopefully one day I can write the disc to the server just like I can a DVD. I also hope it can decode HD audio internally and output it as 7.1 LPCM.

Sounds reasonable, and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jim

So two of the last 3 questions are: what number goes on the cheque, and who wants to deposit it! the 3rd and final question is obvious, just as it is obvious to me not to ask it...

When the BL Player is released there will be a very generous "upgrade" credit given for KPLAYER 300 and KPLAYER 6000 owners (I have not heard of any "rebates" for older Players). This info is posted elsewhere on the forum.

Dealer's will be kept up to speed on the BL Player as more info becomes available and I'm sure they will let their client's know when the Player is officially released.

NOTE: This discussion is NOT intended to imply the BL Player is close to release. I have NO info regarding current status of the Player other than "the process continues" and K will bring it to market just as soon as possible.

Jim

Sounds very promising! :)

You have a very good point that this player must transfer the BD media to the server or it's a total loss. It is after all, the only real selling point!

Is it possible for you to divulge as to whether there will be a K300 BD mini-player to follow in the near future also? Perhaps the K400! :D

Kind Rgds

Panamar

I can't really comment (legally, actually). They shared a lot of sensitive information in exchange for some trust, so I don't want to breach that. (It is a nice well to be able to return to as you can imagine!) In fact, they trimmed some text out of my "update" section they weren't comfortable with. Thanks for understanding....
John

I bet Kaleidescape has some sort of automatic script that scans when Kaleidescape pops up in a news or blog link and alerts somebody in their company. Their name is unique enough that it would only pull up things that refer to their company and/or product.

I assume that the delays in the rollout of the blu-ray player are mainly attributable to the industry's implementation of mandatory managed copy. I am not going to get excited about the system's ability to copy and store blu-ray discs until there is more transparency from the movie industry regarding (1) any incremental costs for managed copy and (2) how blu-ray discs purchased over the last several years will be addressed by managed copy, if at all.

First of all, John, thank you and also thank you to Kaleidescape for speaking to you about this. I'm sure we all appreciate some communication from the mothership. Understandable why they can't say too much. I will have some faith based upon their excellent support and product from the past. From a customer perspective, its been frustrating waiting for the Blu Ray solution. My own conspiracy theory is when K won the battle with the DVD CCA, it didn't make many friends out of the lawyers who I bet are also working on the certification for any BR products.....

What would be super awesome cool- but I just can't see them doing this- would be if K could get access to the HD masters and do a 2.35 anamorphic version of some big movies that perhaps could be distributed by download or disk. Right now we lose resolution on many BR movies to the black bars. It does look great- but we could get a little more! C'mon people!! :D

Jerry, on the anamorphic 2.35:1 content, don't hold your breath. The only people that would be taking advantage of that are with 4K projectors or people who use an anamorphic lens on a 1080p projector and scale the input. Even combined, that is a very small percentage of the market and one that likely is a shrinking percentage as more casual users opt into blu-ray and a large portion of the people who would do the 2.35:1 anamorphic presentation off of BluRay are already doing so.

Kaleidescape didn't win the DVD CCA battle. It is still ongoing and should be determined around the same time as they stop pressing DVDs altogether.

As far as loading the BluRay titles from the BR player, it is quite likely that it would ship as a player only and be software upgraded into a loader/player when the legalities and specifics on how are all ironed out by Hollywood. We can see that it isn't a priority for Hollywood as 3D wasn't even in the BR spec when they finalized it but now it has been added and we already have 3D titles shipping, yet managed copy was a requirement in the spec and we still don't have it from a single studio.

You say " ..Sadly the most exciting news from my call that will really energize Kaleidescape owners and dealers, is the big thing I can?t mention. Suffice to say?.stay tuned, and be excited!"

I say, the biggest thing that will get me really energized and excited here is K saying that I will be able to write BR content to my server. I'd also get excited about a generous trade-in deal on the 1080i players. What won't get me excited at all would be news of being able to stream HD content off the net.

At my home we all love the K system, and we're sticking with it. I hope they get it to market soon and are not held up by any misplaced idea to delay the project again on account of HDMI 1.4. Let's hope the hardware design is such that a straight forward board swap is all that's required to take a HDMI 1.3 BL player to 1.4 spec.

For the time being I wish Michael Malcolm would call me, I'd sign any number of NDA's to find out what they have cooking in K-HQ at the moment.

Some thoughts on John's post.

I appreciate John's sharing his insight with us on his conversation with k. I do however think some of his blog post is just a reviewer whining so he can force companies to do what they(the reviewers) think is the best thing. If he does not like the price of the kscape system he does not have to buy one. I feel the prices k charges help insure they can afford to fight legal battles(which protect my investment), continue to develop new products, provide the best customer and dealer support in the industry and enhance the existing k experience. So I am glad there are new things coming, and the blu ray player will come in time. But one should note that every k product to market has worked and that can not be said for many products, even so called high end products. So i would rather they provide a finished product than one i have to utilize to help them work the bugs out. The only thing I would ask of k is that they do take care of there existing customer base, who have supported k, by offering great trade in offers on both movie and music players. If k continues to develop great new products people will pay the price for the technology. How many other media server companies have gone out of business by creating products they charged less than k for? I think a few are posted on this very site. How much are those customer systems worth? Even a 5 year old 5u retains value either for trade in or resale.

I assume that the delays in the rollout of the blu-ray player are mainly attributable to the industry's implementation of mandatory managed copy. I am not going to get excited about the system's ability to copy and store blu-ray discs until there is more transparency from the movie industry regarding (1) any incremental costs for managed copy and (2) how blu-ray discs purchased over the last several years will be addressed by managed copy, if at all.

Managed copy does not seem to be part of the reason behind the delay. The technicalities of building your own Blu-ray system entirely from the ground up and then dealing with all the manufacturing partners required to deliver the performance they are demanding was the central point.

I appreciate John's sharing his insight with us on his conversation with k. I do however think some of his blog post is just a reviewer whining so he can force companies to do what they(the reviewers) think is the best thing. If he does not like the price of the kscape system he does not have to buy one.

Besides being a reviewer -- a roll I take very seriously -- I am also a Kaleidescape dealer. (Sadly, I'm not an owner, though our showroom has a system I play with virtually daily.) I am in the unique (enviable?) position of being able to voice the concerns that are shared by many in the Kaleidescape community and actually get a response. Clearly from the posts here, you gentleman are feeling the same thing---hopeful that Kaleidescape is going to come through with another home run product, concerned what compromises that solution might require and frustrated that it is taking so long. I would never assume that I could "force" a company to do what I think is best, though it is *nice* to be able to suggest things that are occasionally implemented. Regards, John

Back