• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Blu-Ray Delay Confirmed

With the servers, you get the new unit then send in the old one. I would suspect the same would apply to players. One would have to pay up front then get their tradein credit once the player is shipped back and verified to be functional so it still has value. Those tradeins are generally stored for parts to rebuild older systems and refurbs.

How did the previous trade-in work....did the customer have to send the old player to the dealer when placing an order for the new player, or could you wait until the new player was received?

That's up to the dealer, and location of dealer is probably a factor as well. When we have a local client, we order the new Player and then swap out the old Player and return that to K (client pays the trade-in (discounted) price at the time we install the new Player). For client's not in our area, we rely on the client to swap the Players and return the original Player to K. In these cases we normally charge our usual price for the Player and return a credit to the client once K confirms it has received the old Player. Other dealer's may do it differently.

Jim

58 minutes to go and counting. I was hoping K would make an early announcement via their website, but nothing yet.

BLU-RAY finally! It's here and it works.

I'm sorry, but crippling the experience like this just plain sucks. Yes, I know they had to appease the studios, but come on: I'll need to buy hard disks to rip the content to, plus a 3 thousand dollar overpriced DVD carousel to play them back on if I want any semblance of the current kscape experience. I can also stream instead of ripping... big friggin woop, you've just given me the most overpriced bluray player on the market.

With a setup like this, the so-called "gray" solutions to BR media centers that K is always snubbing its nose at looks better and better. In the end, all you'd really lose is k's interface and movie guide info, which only the interface is really unique to them.

I'm not even a huge BR fanatic and I think this is a piss-poor solution, I can't imagine how a BR fiend would feel about it. I suppose if you want it enough though, you'd just suck it up.

Well, I never upgraded my players from the original ones as I was waiting for BluRay support. I don't look at this as a $4k bluray player that has some issues - I look at it as a $1k premium for BluRay support on top of what I would get from a KPlayer-6000.

Yes, the restrictions suck. The alternative would be to go rogue. Hollywood wants media servers to fail. Why? Same reason they wanted the VCR to fail - paranoia. So, this is the best solution that could be worked out but the anger really should be directed at the MPAA and their ludicrous restrictions and draconian controls. I don't know if you remember some of the early WMV HD encoded movies they sold - if your internet service was down and couldn't verify you online, you could not watch the movie even with the original disc.

I would LOVE to see a judge slap a federal injunction prohibiting the sale of any BluRay disc until the studios work out the managed copy spec that was mandated to be part of BluRay in order to protect the consumers' rights. Cut off their revenue stream and they will start to behave. Until then, we have to put up with the bullies.

Mikey P. Great post. Yes it sucks that we have organized bullying of our right to make a copy of content we BOUGHT. Too bad K doesn't have that BD jukebox right now. However in the interim, this is still the best solution on the market. And it flat out works. Still haven't seen any other so-called storage system that comes remotely close.

I'd say that despite the disc presence shortcoming, K's Blu-ray implementation is an instant winner!

And remember that the KScape stored BD content PLAYS when you hit "play". No more ridiculous load times and boring movie studio crap you have to endure just to get to the main menu... then wait some more...

@Mr.Poindexter in my post I clearly acknowledge that the restrictions are not K's fault. However, my comment is in regards to the solution K rolled out. Yes, they're working with what they've been given, but from a company that I've come to expect top of the line functionality and ease-of-use from, this "solution" is pretty poor, and not much better than "going rogue".

@kman: I understand that, but skipping previews seriously doesn't justify it in my personal opinion. My players are in my basement, I typically watch content in my bedroom. I'd have to get up and walk down 2 floors to pop a disc in to "skip intros" when I could just as easily keep my BD discs upstairs and pop them in my PS3 instead. Thousands in savings and the only thing I miss is the guide info and the ability to skip intros.

I'm actually surprised so many are so accepting of this "solution" and even willing to shell out thousands for workaround hardware (which that's basically what this loader is). Sadly it's actually justifying some of the comments over at sites like Engadget.

Hi, I understand your situation and am sure there are others with similar views. Kaleidescape is too good at not talking about what they are up to untill it's released. I had tech support on the phone early yeaterday and asked in parting if there was any new BD news. He stated the company policy. 2 hours later... wallah.

You have to assume Michael and the gang have already been working on the bulk BD storage solution, and that this single disc-at-a-time insert issue will be short lived. My personal hope is that they fairly quickly release such a product, at a cheap price, and SEPARATE from any new bulk loader that the masses do not want or need.

That all stated, I'm advising my clients to take advantage of the BD player upgrade discounts. They won't last long.

It is worth noting that whatever the solution is for the managed copy of bluray discs, these players will be able to work with the system going forward. If Kaleidescape got a licensing fix or some sort of downloading set up for HD content, then we would have the same functionality as DVD right now.

Lack of 3D could be an issue for some, but I suspect the vast majority of players are not going to be in 3D capable systems for a long time if ever.

It is worth noting that whatever the solution is for the managed copy of bluray discs, these players will be able to work with the system going forward. If Kaleidescape got a licensing fix or some sort of downloading set up for HD content, then we would have the same functionality as DVD right now.

That was my initial thinking too, but seeing that they put these loaders a year away, it sort of indicates that they don't foresee a solution coming any time soon.

Lack of 3D could be an issue for some, but I suspect the vast majority of players are not going to be in 3D capable systems for a long time if ever.

3D is still pretty gimmicky to me. I wouldn't mind not having it

...No more ridiculous load times and boring movie studio crap you have to endure just to get to the main menu..

I have to put up with boring movie studio crap, including the FBI warnings, for many of the imported titles in my existing Kaleidescape system. What am I doing wrong with my imports that I still have to suffer this? Do I have to manually bookmark where I want an imported movie to start playing from? I wish I could start the movie from the start of the movie for all my imported content.

I am with AnOutsider's comments and I dont see this as a $1k premium over the KPlayer 6000 because I already have players in my home and given that my system is only used for DVD and CD playback, I dont require the scaling of the K players which is good but is easily bettered by a quality video processor which is necessary for a theater and the standard old K Players I have are more than good enough sources for the regular plasmas/ LCDs I have around the house. My view is now they are asking some very big money for a player that is really a very mediocre player in terms of features (no internal decoding of lossless soundtracks and no 3D support) and we dont know yet how good the quality of the video is but I am not holding my breath as the message I am getting from K here is they were focused on getting something that works as opposed to something that would be spectacular. A shame.

Btw- I don't care about 3D either but it could become important and I see this as another place where we would have to pay thousands of dollars again to get a feature that we really should have had from the beginning.

I have to put up with boring movie studio crap, including the FBI warnings, for many of the imported titles in my existing Kaleidescape system. What am I doing wrong with my imports that I still have to suffer this? Do I have to manually bookmark where I want an imported movie to start playing from? I wish I could start the movie from the start of the movie for all my imported content.

To get around that, send in the discs to Kaleidescape for bookmarking and adding to their metadata database. This both fixes the problem for you and also any other person who has that same disc or gets it in the future.

Here is the info on that.
http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/documentation/Kaleidescape-QRG-001-DVD-CD-Loan-Process.pdf

All of this while kids go up to McDonalds, get a $1 movie, and rip it into 5 iTunes libraries.

Thanks movie studios or whoever the frick is doing this. Glad you are really getting the 'bad guys' here.

Back