• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4K Projector

MovieMan

Hey,

So after reading a lot of info on this forum, I’ve decided I’m going to take the 4K plunge. I have recently renovated the basement of our house and want to turn it into a movie room before my wife moves her shoe collection in there permanently. The equipment I have is all a bit out of date so this is a great opportunity to upgrade and get some super-high definition movie action going on. I’m definitely going to pick up a Strato and am going to get a 4k projector to go along with it. I’ve been looking at projectors for sale online and it seems like Sony have got the market all sewn up at the moment. The only alternative as far as I can see is the JVC 4K projector:

31009.JPG

As far as I can make out from reviews though, it is not true 4K, it combines two 1080p images and squishes them together somehow to improve the quality. I wouldn’t be considering it, but it is loads cheaper than the Sony models. Does anyone have any experience with this projector? Anyone know what the quality is like compared to true 4K?

I know I should wait for more projectors to come and for the prices to come down, but you don’t understand how many shoes my wife has. Once the collection goes in, it would take a team of archaeologists to dig them out again. Time is not on my side.

Cheers

Last edited:
How much we see or don't see has almost as much to do with our own eyes and perceptions as the equipment itself, IMO. (Probably the reason why ten people viewing two different sources can have differing opinions about which is better.)

True 4K, to me, looks better. How much better (if any at all) is open for debate. I have client's that own both, JVC e-shift and true 4K, and they find the JVC acceptable. Budget usually drives these decisions.

The e-shift technology doesn't "squish" the pixels together. It uses a specially designed lens refractor that shift a percentage of each pixel slightly to reduce/eliminate the Black spacing between pixels. This is computer-controlled. Because frame rates cap at 60, and the PJ can handle 120, the PJ displays each pixel twice and shifts one of those pixels to create the "4K."

I also sent you a PM.

Jim

Hey,

So after reading a lot of info on this forum, I’ve decided I’m going to take the 4K plunge. I have recently renovated the basement of our house and want to turn it into a movie room before my wife moves her shoe collection in there permanently. The equipment I have is all a bit out of date so this is a great opportunity to upgrade and get some super-high definition movie action going on. I’m definitely going to pick up a Strato and am going to get a 4k projector to go along with it. I’ve been looking at projectors for sale online and it seems like Sony have got the market all sewn up at the moment. The only alternative as far as I can see is the JVC 4K projector:

31009.JPG

As far as I can make out from reviews though, it is not true 4K, it combines two 1080p images and squishes them together somehow to improve the quality. I wouldn’t be considering it, but it is loads cheaper than the Sony models. Does anyone have any experience with this projector? Anyone know what the quality is like compared to true 4K?

I know I should wait for more projectors to come and for the prices to come down, but you don’t understand how many shoes my wife has. Once the collection goes in, it would take a team of archaeologists to dig them out again. Time is not on my side.

Cheers

I have the JVC DLA RS-600 projector and it looks fantastic coupled to the Strato. I too was going to get the Sony for the 4K picture but opted for the JVC and am glad I did. I know a lot of people who sold their Sony projectors - even the top of the line VPL-VW1100ES and converted over to JVC. There are a number of reasons why - the most important of which is the JVC has phenomenal black levels, which makes a big difference for watching movies (particularly in a room that is fully light controlled).

Some other considerations, your screen size, your room ambient light conditions, and your personal viewing preferences (dimmer vs brighter image). All of the recent releases from either Sony or JVC are excellent performers, in the right room. We prefer more on screen lumens, so tend to spec the Sony's for screens 10' and above, and reserve the JVC's for smaller screens (but there are certainly JVC's being used in larger screen setups).

Jim

For reference, I use the JVC DLA-RS600 in a fully light controlled room, with a 1.3 gain, 2.40 aspect ratio, 150" diagonal screen. I run the projector on low lamp (I reserve high lamp for 3D Blu-ray discs).

Whether you combine the Kaleidescape Strato with a Sony 4K or JVC e-shift projector I think you are likely to be very happy with your movie-watching experience!

Another thing worth mentioning is the quality of the underlying source material will likely have a bigger impact than your choice between 4K (Sony) or e-shift (JVC). I have most of the 4K cinematic movies that Kaleidescape offers right now (from Sony) and there are many HD movies on the Strato that look visually superior. The Strato does an excellent job of up converting HD to UHD (4K) - some of the HD titles look visually stunning.

Last edited:
Hey,

31009.JPG

Cheers

Thanks for the responses to this post. I think I'm going to go JVC off the strength of this and other reviews.

One other thing that is useful to know since you are interested in 4K, is that what we call 4K actually consists of three features:

Higher resolution (the 4K part)
Wider color gamut (richer colors)
HDR (high dynamic range between light and dark)

Current projectors (at least ones below $35,000) struggle with HDR. They simply don't have enough light output to properly render HDR (unlike flat panels, for which the HDR standard was optimized).

What some of the 4K Blu-ray players have done (Panasonic and very likely the upcoming Oppo) is provide modes where you get the benefits of higher resolution and wider color gamut - without the issues of HDR for projectors. They basically remap the HDR.

This is something I brought to the attention of Kaleidescape but I don't know if they built in the necessary HDR mapping in order to optimize "4K" for projectors.

This is particularly important for those of us with Atmos/DTS:X speaker arrangements, because in some of the new releases, the only way to get Atmos is with the 4K version release (making that a "stealth" fourth feature for some 4K releases). As I mentioned before - a well-produced Blu-Ray (HD quality) can look pretty spectacular up-converted by the Strato.

Anyway - just wanted to make you aware of this!

As Jim pointed out, you really should go look at these projectors. Every DILA based projector I've seen (I've seen quite a few but that was a few years ago so its possible they've gotten better) gave a bit of a murky, sense of looking at a large mediocre laptop screen image to my eyes. Yet DLP based looked great- almost film like . I really think its a question of what looks good to you.

Finally installed the Sony 5000ES Laser 4K PJ in my FL HT. As already discussed in great detail on AVS Forum, it throws an excellent image. Not yet calibrated, but the image out of the box is spectacular. Paired with the K Strato for 4K brings images I've never seen before on any PJ (and I'll credit K for that!!).

I had someone back out of one purchase (spouse issues:D), so if it's still here at the end of the month I may try stacking these to see what else is possible.:)

Jim

:eek: wow... that's my dream projector. But that monster is being called the best projector ever, and you're going to stack two of them? I'm trying to see the logic... just for brighter image? With 4K resolution, wouldn't the near-impossibility of absolutely perfect dot-for-dot alignment more than offset the benefits of running two of them? Can't imagine the image would actually get better with two... only worse. But help educate me since I'm not a high-end projector customer yet.

--josh

:eek: wow... that's my dream projector. But that monster is being called the best projector ever, and you're going to stack two of them? I'm trying to see the logic... just for brighter image? With 4K resolution, wouldn't the near-impossibility of absolutely perfect dot-for-dot alignment more than offset the benefits of running two of them? Can't imagine the image would actually get better with two... only worse. But help educate me since I'm not a high-end projector customer yet.

--josh

Are you serious with that question? and not just trolling?:confused:

yes, i was serious. Rather than just trying to make me feel dumber than i already do, please educate me. Can you answer the question - why would 2 stacked projectors at this high quality be better? Obviously lumens will go up, but will effective resolution go down due to difficulty of alignment of 4k images? If the question is so stupid as to not belong here, i'll shut up or ask someone privately.

Last edited:

Obviously, you don't know that Josh started this forum and was the administrator until he transferred that duty to Jim.

You could have gotten an idea of this just by looking at the date he joined.

John

Sorry, missed this. First, Josh could never be considered a "troll," he has contributed large amounts of both time and money to get this forum up and running, and kept it operational all of these years. He deserves better.

We are not AVS, we don't have a lot videophiles participating in our Forum, so there are likely many members that don't follow all of the crazy things we "hobbyists" do to try an max out video quality, or to test the limits of what is possible.

Jim

Back