• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4K HDR Titles in K Store Missing Immersive Audio (Dolby Atmos/DTS:X)

Is there a significant difference in a lot of these re-releases of movies between DTS:X and just using your audio processors DTS Neural X Upmixer on the DTS 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks? Maybe it depends on the audio processor. I’m thinking the sound engineers just convert in a similar way vs. completely redoing the soundtrack for DTS:X? SJ

I agree with this. I am convinced that on some movies the Atmos soundtracks are just “unconverted” from the standard 5.1/7.1 tracks. When I compare the Atmos version with the the “unconverted” version that my processor does I can’t tell a difference.

Then I run across movies that must have total discretely generated channels due to the placement of the sounds. Reminds me of the “Fake or Real 4K” sites. I wish I had a little more info on the process studios use generating the audio.

John

Good points, and yes, I agree that it can be very difficult to distinguish between some of these up-mixers and the designed HD codecs. They really can do just about anything with channel assignments these days.

The Trinnov Altitude 32 I'm currently using in my system allows for flexible channel control, but for me it's more about getting the full dedicated discrete channels assigned in the release. In particular I really want simple 7.1 when it's available, not the 5.1 on many of these releases. While true that there isn't normally a lot of rear channel assignments in most 7.1 audio, what is there is there for a reason.

Jim

I am not always quick to defend Kscape but in this case they are dmaned if the do and damned if they don't. If they wait until they get the DTSx version then they are delayed, if they release what they have then it doesn't have the DTSx . I don't think they are buying a cheaper version. They can only put out what is supplied. We have seen movies that eventually show up with Atmos or Dtsx at a later date.

Very true, nothing has changed, the Studios control the content version, and K releases what they get as soon as they are able.

Jim

In reality take Black Panther, COMPLETELY INERT in Atmos creates a rectangle sound box where sounds emanate directly from the speakers and nowhere else but a 3d gapped soundfield. But if you want to extract all the complex pitch, yaw and roll, with multidirectional orbiting sounds it CAN sound 85% like the gravity premiere in the room where atmos was invented, Believe No other room in the world will raise goosebumps inn the imaging like this one can.
IF you feed it lpcm into Neural-X, the important thing is to deploy the speakers in a bubble like fashion, once you have this, you can do decode in kaleidescape and leave it alone, don't sweat it.

The solution lies in jailbreaking a dolby cinema processor. That is the future, i am getting one from Andrew Poulain the WW Director of Dolby Cinema products, but it will re-render to my desired bubble speaker configuration.

We discussed the disney issue, it is a workflow thing, and johns autopilot comment is partially correct.

There is hope ....much! The cinema renderer re-renders to all channels from the max atmos channel count. Will report.

DcaIYyiWkAAsQIr.jpg

Very nice guys!

I'm not saying I don't hear a difference between the newest formats that are object based and high res DTS MA/ Dolby Tru HD. My system doesn't support it. So I sometimes wonder if its worth it for me to make the upgrade. Whereas it does support MA/ Tru HD and I can easily distinguish between these and the core audio/ "standard" DD/DTS soundtracks.

I think audio is more trick than video to get setup just right.

I will say I've been home under the weather the past 2 days and watched Black Panther HDR and Thor HDR and both look truly fantastic and sound great- and were genuinely entertaining movies (the most important part!).

To come back to the topic, I really do believe Kaleidescape works to get us the best possible.

Hope you get better soon Jerry!

(Separate note: send me an email when you feel up to it with your opinion of the "Pista", would love your opinion.)

Jim

Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park III
Jurassic Park - The Lost World
Jurassic World

All are missing DTS:X tracks

This list is becoming increasingly long and the titles are rarely updated - quite frustrating that so many titles are released to us K owners minus immersive audio. I appreciate this has been a learning curve for all - but surely the workflows have been adequately tested to provide at least the same experience as those buying physical media. Immersive audio is no longer a fledgling format - c'mon K sort this out.......please!!!!.

Getting serioiusly p......d off with this situation.

All 4 added to list...

It is unrealistic to expect Universal to change the codec for Kaleidescape I think, Neural-X Is you, friend, Jurassic World sounds.

It is unrealistic to expect Universal to change the codec for Kaleidescape I think, Neural-X Is you, friend, Jurassic World sounds.

Nobody is asking anyone to change anything :confused: What codec are they changing for Kaleidescape?

What we are asking for is the same as supplied on the shiny disc :mad:

Did you guys see the new Star Treks (2009+) and Wrath of Kahn are in the store? I can't wait to watch these!

looking Forward to the atmos upgrade to Fury.

From Blu-ray.com:
"Fury's impressive DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless soundtrack has been eclipsed by a superior Dolby Atmos presentation. The track's seamless ability to immerse the listener into the sounds of war is the entirety of its purpose, be that intensive action, distant fighting, or chatter amongst the men. The far-distant pops, cracks, and thuds of varying intensity and volume dot most every scene. The sonic reminders of war are essentially ever-present in some capacity, and the Atmos' ability to add layers of precision only enhance the movie's atmosphere of dread, decay, destruction, and deterioration. The surrounds and top end more than capably carry the distant, hellish sounds, but it's, of course, the more prominent effects that carry the movie's track and lift it firmly above the Blu-ray. Strong overhead engagement is often a component, but even as it's prominent, it's never artificial. Planes zoom overhead in the 23-minute mark with excellent stage traversal and weight.

The first major battle in the film is a frighteningly intense sequence in which American tanks and troops cross a field towards a tree line where German infantry and artillery await. Shells zoom through the air with an astonishing sense of speed and weight, whistling through the stage and above the listener as they miss their targets or, in one of the most dazzling sonic moments ever heard in the film, safely ricochets off a tank. Shells that hit their targets result in enormous low-end output. The sense of scale, the power of the shells, the strength of the machine guns, the chaos of war are amazingly recreated; the listener will feel as if he or she is in the tank or on the field, always engaged within the movie by way of sounds that yield proper positioning and high-level intensity. Additional battle scenes are just as sonically rewarding and emotionally draining. The accuracy, intensity, and immersion are all first-class attributes. Music enjoys proper stage width, depth, and clarity. Dialogue is always well defined and prioritized, from shouted commands to chatter through the tank's communication system. This is an absolutely stellar Atmos"

The Patriot Atmos update.

Same source:

"The Patriot's Dolby Atmos soundtrack is also an upgrade from the previous Blu-ray's 5.1 uncompressed soundtrack, though the differences are not quite as dramatic. Surrounds carry a significant din at a rally against the king 10 minutes in, yielding excellent spacing and a feeling of real distance amongst the crowd and from the crowd to the listener. A well integrated overhead component supports the scene, too, with less a direct presence and more a complimentary engagement. A celebratory rally after the vote to go to war features additional immersive din and gunshot reverberations that filter atop the listening area, as well as, of course, through more traditional spaces around the listener. A distant battle as the family dines in chapter three offers amazingly detailed diffuse explosions and pops, supported by a well defied low end signature that perfectly balances depth and distance. As the battle draws closer, clarity and low end execution increase until the listener is essentially only yards from the action.

Every action scene is just as immersive and wonderfully tuned. A battle in chapter five, when Martin and two of his children ambush British soldiers, is a sonic delight. With no music to interfere, the clarity and positioning of voices as the British soldiers attempt to locate and return fire to the small ambushing party sounds very open and detailed with remarkable stage positioning and a modest reverberation through the partially enclosed location. Depth and detail of gunfire are stellar here, too. The final battle, of course, stands as the sonic highlight on the disc. Volleys of gunfire pop with remarkable potency, crispness, and absolute immersion into the fight. Explosions are hefty, cannonballs zip through the air with fine positioning and stage traversal, and the detail within the din -- individual gunshots and screams -- is fantastic. The track also carries John Williams' score with fluid spacing and first-class clarity. Ambient effects are always perfectly positioned and effortlessly "

Is there are any possible chance to get Matrix update with Atmos ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there are any possible chance to get Matrix update with Atmos ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all hope so - but it's dependant on the studio making the audio available to K. Given the studio releasing - there is every chance it will.

Back